BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 pm

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012021 ... dyStar.com

Apparently 4 operations in 2 years, not 3 as reported.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bluecat
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Bluecat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:19 pm

It''s a high-stakes game of chicken. If I'm Peyton, I make Irsay fire me.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:39 pm

"Time waits for no man."

Your girth can bend Time, however...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Looks like BRM is backing his owner.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:07 am

If I was Irsay, I'd have Peyton come in for a workout on March 7, video tape it, and if Manning can't deliver as a QB , then you waive him and put the $28m to getting Luck, an offensive line , a defense and whatever else you need. No one will say anything against you if Peyton does have a bad arm.

But I wouldn't play some petty game talking about how Peyton has a place on the team if we restructure his contract to where he's paid league minimum with incentives when you don't even know if the guy will be your starter.

I know the NFL is cut throat no apologies, but Manning deserves better than someone playing politics trying to make him out to a greedy player.

Now if Peyton does come in and in the unlikely event is firing on all cylinders, then you have the $28m decision, but I still don't think its much of a decision because even if Luck is the next Peyton Manning, you have..well..Peyton Manning.

No one would be thinking of cutting Tom Brady over $28m and the Patriots cut guys healthy and productive all the time to be replaced with a younger corp, and the Patriots have traded off at least 1 backup that became a starter somewhere else.

At this point I do believe its over pretty much over for Peyton though.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am

eCat wrote:If I was Irsay, I'd have Peyton come in for a workout on March 7, video tape it, and if Manning can't deliver as a QB , then you waive him and put the $28m to getting Luck, an offensive line , a defense and whatever else you need. No one will say anything against you if Peyton does have a bad arm.

But I wouldn't play some petty game talking about how Peyton has a place on the team if we restructure his contract to where he's paid league minimum with incentives when you don't even know if the guy will be your starter.

I know the NFL is cut throat no apologies, but Manning deserves better than someone playing politics trying to make him out to a greedy player.

Now if Peyton does come in and in the unlikely event is firing on all cylinders, then you have the $28m decision, but I still don't think its much of a decision because even if Luck is the next Peyton Manning, you have..well..Peyton Manning.

No one would be thinking of cutting Tom Brady over $28m and the Patriots cut guys healthy and productive all the time to be replaced with a younger corp, and the Patriots have traded off at least 1 backup that became a starter somewhere else.

At this point I do believe its over pretty much over for Peyton though.
It has been reported that back in November he did do such a practice which was at full game speed for the simulation and threw around 30-40 passes. The team doctors evaluated him afterwards and shut him down cause they didn't like what they saw.

Also the GMs that Irsay interviewed, he told them they were moving forward with Luck.

My ultimate dream scenario - Manning goes out March 5th, has a great practice session and can show that he can hurl the ball downfield without issue and without negative issues. He stays on the team and they trade the #1 for a boat load of pics and still take a QB in the first round that they can groom for the future. Use the boatload of picks to fill the holes as necessary as well as build for the future.

My hopeful scenario - Manning takes incentive based contract, draft Luck, and let Luck learn off Manning for at least one season.

The real deal - Manning is released, Colts draft Luck. Manning if he can play, will play on another team. If not, he retires at beginning of training camp.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am

How much is Manning worth? I know people can get caught up in the "who is greedier?" game, but Manning is a gazillionaire himself already. If he really loves the Colts and wants his legacy to be there, he'll take an incentive contract. Now then, I think any type of incentive contract should pay him handsomely for even modest accomplishments and pay him the full $28 million (or whatever) for, say, a Super Bowl appearance or even a conference finals appearance (the incentives should be as generous as possible). Some may think that's unfair, to hire a guy based mostly on performance when everybody else in the league is getting paid iiregardless of performance. But this is a special case. If Pey-pey is truly done (not that he or anyone else knows the answer to that), he should offer to work with the Colts so that they won't be hurt as an organization because of him. If he truly cares about the Colts' organization, that is. I know that such an arrangement is unusual and that teams have to take their chances every day with every player on the team, but this is a special case. Pey-pey is worth hundreds of millions already, if he wants to leave a truly unique legacy with the Colts, he'll come back on an incentive contract...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

another issue is they are setting up Luck to fail.

If Peyton is the reason the Colts are a playoff team versus a 2 win team, then I"d say the Colts have incentive enough to pay him what his contract says.

What if Luck comes in and has no line to protect him, receivers that are good for only slant routes and a porous defensive line that makes him resort to a passing game 80% of the time. Then he is going to look like shit, not the next Peyton Manning.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

"Then he is going to look like shit"

Or smack of shit...

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm

eCat wrote:another issue is they are setting up Luck to fail.

If Peyton is the reason the Colts are a playoff team versus a 2 win team, then I"d say the Colts have incentive enough to pay him what his contract says.

What if Luck comes in and has no line to protect him, receivers that are good for only slant routes and a porous defensive line that makes him resort to a passing game 80% of the time. Then he is going to look like shit, not the next Peyton Manning.
Peyton Manning didn't look like the Peyton Manning now during his first season. Luck is going to have to learn on the job and if they truly are moving forward as an organization, then the money saved from Manning will be used to fill those holes as best as possible. With our new defensive minded head coach, not worried about that side of the ball so much as the offense.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:19 pm

"another issue is they are setting up Luck to fail."

If you're counting on luck to win in the NFL, you're already setting yourself up to fail. You gotta rely on skill, not luck!

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:56 pm

I'd like to see a qb combine --luck vs rg3 in indy before we committed to one or the other
athletically advantagerg3
reading the defense--manging the game--advantage luck

question is who has the better arm deep and at pro speed --again I think RG3 does

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Nice to see the Bengals thanking Hue Jackson for the Carson trade by giving him a coaching job.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Davonte Neal last 4 star recruit holdout signs with Notre Dame today

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... Neal-89478

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm

The well went dry after signing day.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm

So has anybody found an obituary on Hizzy yet telling his story?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I guess that's a no. I don't get that there is no obit.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Oh yeah, I just want to be the first to welcome Tom Brady to my family.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey, Cool - Tom Brady is my cousin!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy