Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:56 am

You and your fancy lawnmowers and $75 dinners!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

How MUCH is enough, huh?

5 trillion and counting.....4 MORE YEARZZZZ!!!11ll
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:18 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:You and your fancy lawnmowers and $75 dinners!
It's a Murray, gdammit!!

hiding my shame..I mow at night
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Neither Newt nor Mittens will beat Obama. Newt will at least make it close. Mittens will make it a blowout, just like his fellow Establishment-approved candidates McCain, Dole, and Bush Sr.

And I hate to break it to Hack and puter, but if Mittens' tax returns show he paid only 15% on his income, and he stashed a portion of his wealth in the Caymans, then that is a HUGE problem for him. Romney knows it. That's why he is being dragged kicking and screaming into releasing his tax returns.

Regular working class Americans, who are working their asses off to barely make ends meet, yet pay a higher tax rate than fabulously wealthy people like Romney, will never, ever, accept the absurd excuses that plutocrat Republican conservatives try to peddle:

"If I earn hundreds of millions of dollars but I pay a lower tax rate than you do, it's because I'm smarter than you and work harder than you. You're just jealous and a class warrior. Now, bring me a gin and tonic."

It may come as a shock to PNNery, but average working class people don't take that very well.

Simple question: should there be a lower rate for capital gains?

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:PS: Just checked the news sites. Obama paid 25%. Gingrich paid 31%. Romney paid 14% in taxes - probably less than his secretary.

Problem.
Only for stupid fucking people.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm

bluetick wrote:A big chunk of this country's infrastructure was built when the upper tax brackets were 60-80%. Interstate highways, bridges, national parks, intercoastal waterway. World War II (and the rebuilding of Europe), Korea and Vietnam. We put a man on the moon.

I wasn't around when most of that was going on, but I can't find where there was a great hue and cry from the the well-healed about their predicament tax-wise. No fits thrown by the 'job creators;' no threats of taking their ball and going home (or to the Caymans). Of course, back then CEOs didn't make 585 times more than their average employee either.

But yeah - whatever happens, DO NOT increase the current upper rate by a few measley percentage points. The rivers will surely run dry, frogs will rain from the heavens, and then Hell will swallow America whole.

</class-warfare-speak>
It should be about what generates the most revenue with the least amount of pain.

If raising rates leads to less $$$ to the treasury wtf is the point?

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm

If Ron Paul or Gingrich don't win the nomination, it'll be the fault of liberals and the media. So speaketh Sarah Palin

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/28 ... ina-trinko

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Won't matter either way.

Hacksaw
Senior
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Won't matter either way.
True. We practically have North Korea's propaganda machine ready to help our own Dear Leader. It's a done deal.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I wonder if Paul will go third party.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 am

He can't win a single state (nor could any 3rd party no matter where on the scale) so why?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:49 am

8-)
Hacksaw wrote:
Jungle Rat wrote:Won't matter either way.
True. We practically have North Korea's propaganda machine ready to help our own Dear Leader. It's a done deal.
You really are a whack job. I actually thought it was a joke. I was clearly wrong. When do you publish your Manifesto?

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 am

Yeah cause the press has been so hard on Oprama when actually holds a press conference.

Hell they all have complimentary Oprama knee pads and baby wipes to clean themselves up when Oprama finishes.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 am

bluetick wrote:How much is enough, Sardis? When does it all end? How many yachts can you water-ski behind?

How MUCH is enough, huh?
I guess we should let government decide that...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 am

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I, for one, am shocked...SHOCKED, I tell ya'!
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm

This is the type thing that is happening around the country since the mid-term election. Swallow all the AngryNewt, RichMitt, CrazyRon pub you want, that's what the MSM thinks will carry Obammer to victory. I'll take the below x 10.

The House voted 54-44 Wednesday to make Indiana the nation's 23rd right-to-work state. The measure is expected to face little opposition in Indiana's Republican-controlled Senate and could reach Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels' desk shortly before the Feb. 5 Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

"This announces, especially in the Rust Belt, that we are open for business here," Republican House Speaker Brian Bosma said of the right-to-work proposal that would ban unions from collecting mandatory representation fees from workers.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

sardis wrote:
bluetick wrote:How much is enough, Sardis? When does it all end? How many yachts can you water-ski behind?

How MUCH is enough, huh?
I guess we should let government decide that...
:::BZZAP!::: Wrong answer, naturally. Wayyyy off..

"It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a Zero Sum game - somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred - from one perception to another. Like magic.

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons - and stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price of the paper clip. We pick the rabbit out of the hat while everybody else sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now, you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you, buddy? It's the free market. And you're part of it. Stick around, pal. I've got a lot to teach you."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:23 pm

I wonder what we'll get when the roadshow comes here? Florida gets the Moon-base...maybe TN will get the contract to pave those moon roads.

moving those moon rocks, baby...by the light of the moon...sippin' a lil moon shine

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:35 pm

"two thirds comes from inheritance"

This is what I have a problem with. And as an example I give you Mike Brown, Owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. His father was a legend. A football icon. The NFL today is where it is because of his dad. Mike is a great business man but knows nothing about football yet, because of his Dads DNA he thinks he's also a great football GM. He's not. Mike wanted a new stadium or he was moving his team to Baltimore. He got his stadium. Free. Hamilton County passed a sales tax increase to fund those on the backs of property taxes. Historically it's the worst county stadium deal in America. Look it up. Today, because of this stadium fund (which calls for the county to pay for all improvements) Mike Brown is actually being paid by the county to play in their stadium. Yet the county now has to come up with $14 million to cover a gap in the stadium sales tax fund. When they went to Mike to ask for help he told them to fuck off and then handed them an estimate for a new HD video system & a new playing surface, or which the county is required to pay for. To cover that $14 mil the county has had to lay off cops, firefighters, sold a county owned hospital for $15 million when it was worth over $100 mil. And the county Commissioner who brokered the deal for all of this between the Bengals and the county took a job as the Bengals "Director of Development at Cincinnati Bengals" a few months after voters approved the tax with their hands behind their backs.

Since Paul Brown died in 91 & Mike took over, the football team has made the playoffs 3 times and has yet to win a playoff game. 2 of those 3 in the last 3 years.

So it's great to inherit a fortune but that doesn't make you smart. Mike Brown has cost the city of Cincinnati and their people a tremendous amount of pain with jobs cuts, funding cuts to the homeless, hospitals, etc. His team is worth over half a billion yet he can't pay for anything in the stadium he rents free because that's what's in the lease?

Inheritance only means your parents were smart, worked their fingers to the bone day in and day out, and you lived a gifted life without even a sense as to what they went through so you wouldn't have to. Doesn't make you a better man because your Daddy has money. Doesn't make you any smarter either. You just drove a better car than I did when I was 17. I paid for mine.