Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

It's just mind-boggling how a party that claims it's against "Career politicians" and "Washington insiders" is poised to coronate Newt Gingrich as its nominee. And it's the tea-party guys who are most passionately behind him!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm

PS: Just checked the news sites. Obama paid 25%. Gingrich paid 31%. Romney paid 14% in taxes - probably less than his secretary.

Problem.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:It's just mind-boggling how a party that claims it's against "Career politicians" and "Washington insiders" is poised to coronate Newt Gingrich as its nominee. And it's the tea-party guys who are most passionately behind him!
Maybe the Tea Party has observed that being hopelessly unqualified to be President (say, as a community organizer) is not a good thing.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Neither Newt nor Mittens will beat Obama. Newt will at least make it close. Mittens will make it a blowout, just like his fellow Establishment-approved candidates McCain, Dole, and Bush Sr.

And I hate to break it to Hack and puter, but if Mittens' tax returns show he paid only 15% on his income, and he stashed a portion of his wealth in the Caymans, then that is a HUGE problem for him. Romney knows it. That's why he is being dragged kicking and screaming into releasing his tax returns.

Regular working class Americans, who are working their asses off to barely make ends meet, yet pay a higher tax rate than fabulously wealthy people like Romney, will never, ever, accept the absurd excuses that plutocrat Republican conservatives try to peddle:

"If I earn hundreds of millions of dollars but I pay a lower tax rate than you do, it's because I'm smarter than you and work harder than you. You're just jealous and a class warrior. Now, bring me a gin and tonic."

It may come as a shock to PNNery, but average working class people don't take that very well.
Finally a post from you that deserves my kudos. Nice work.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:It's just mind-boggling how a party that claims it's against "Career politicians" and "Washington insiders" is poised to coronate Newt Gingrich as its nominee. And it's the tea-party guys who are most passionately behind him!
Maybe the Tea Party has observed that being hopelessly unqualified to be President (say, as a community organizer) is not a good thing.
And then, as expected, you blow it.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 pm

I am fair and balanced.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:LMAO at Hack whining that the Media and the Dems forced Mittens to reveal his tax returns. NEWT has been the one screaming about it the most. AND he's the one who has brought up Romney's time at Bain again and again. Hack will remember none of that when he goes to the polls and pushes the button for Gingrich.
Candidates say a lot of things. The media decides what to highlight. They'll help Newt defeat Romney, because they view Romney as a greater threat to their man. But once Newt wins the nomination, watch out! They'll begin picking him apart piece-by-piece.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 am

This guy sums it up well.

The candidate who suggested his victory in the Texas primary would be remembered as the moment at which the waters of the ocean would literally begin to recede has entirely lost his capacity to inspire — or to frighten his rivals — by his oratorical gifts alone.

Without that force, and without much of a record to run on, he instead turned the classic State of the Union laundry list into his own personal Amazon.com gift registry. If Congress wants to be nice to him and to the American people, he said, it will send him various bills with lots of goodies in them, and when they arrive, all he’ll have to do is sign for them.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Mitch Daniels nails it!!111

"The President's grand experiment in trickle-down government has held back rather than sped economic recovery. He seems to sincerely believe we can build a middle class out of government jobs paid for with borrowed dollars. In fact, it works the other way: a government as big and bossy as this one is maintained on the backs of the middle class, and those who hope to join it.

"Those punished most by the wrong turns of the last three years are those unemployed or underemployed tonight, and those so discouraged that they have abandoned the search for work altogether. And no one has been more tragically harmed than the young people of this country, the first generation in memory to face a future less promising than their parents did.

"Contrary to the President's constant disparagement of people in business, it's one of the noblest of human pursuits. The late Steve Jobs - what a fitting name he had - created more of them than all those stimulus dollars the President borrowed and blew. Out here in Indiana, when a businessperson asks me what he can do for our state, I say 'First, make money. Be successful. If you make a profit, you'll have something left to hire someone else, and some to donate to the good causes we love.'

"The extremism that stifles the development of homegrown energy, or cancels a perfectly safe pipeline that would employ tens of thousands, or jacks up consumer utility bills for no improvement in either human health or world temperature, is a pro-poverty policy. It must be replaced by a passionate pro-growth approach that breaks all ties and calls all close ones in favor of private sector jobs that restore opportunity for all and generate the public revenues to pay our bills.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 pm

extremist
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:30 pm

A big chunk of this country's infrastructure was built when the upper tax brackets were 60-80%. Interstate highways, bridges, national parks, intercoastal waterway. World War II (and the rebuilding of Europe), Korea and Vietnam. We put a man on the moon.

I wasn't around when most of that was going on, but I can't find where there was a great hue and cry from the the well-healed about their predicament tax-wise. No fits thrown by the 'job creators;' no threats of taking their ball and going home (or to the Caymans). Of course, back then CEOs didn't make 585 times more than their average employee either.

But yeah - whatever happens, DO NOT increase the current upper rate by a few measley percentage points. The rivers will surely run dry, frogs will rain from the heavens, and then Hell will swallow America whole.

</class-warfare-speak>
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Wow, first they criticize the President for blocking the pipeline, now they slam his speech. Washington Post making Hack change to 8:2...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Hack defends Newt. Naturally. It's not his fault for pointing out Mittens' flaws, it's the media for reporting what Newt says.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Romney and National Review are taking off the gloves now. No more fucking around. Here comes the bombshell to kill his nomination.

Newt criticized RONALD BY-GOD REAGAN back in the 1980's

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... ott-abrams

Game over, Newt. Back to writing historical fiction.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:34 am

Hi guys.

Romney back in the lead in Florida. Hopefully South Carolina was just a blip. Ann Coulter said it best in today's article.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am

bluetick wrote:A big chunk of this country's infrastructure was built when the upper tax brackets were 60-80%. Interstate highways, bridges, national parks, intercoastal waterway. World War II (and the rebuilding of Europe), Korea and Vietnam. We put a man on the moon.

I wasn't around when most of that was going on, but I can't find where there was a great hue and cry from the the well-healed about their predicament tax-wise. No fits thrown by the 'job creators;' no threats of taking their ball and going home (or to the Caymans). Of course, back then CEOs didn't make 585 times more than their average employee either.

But yeah - whatever happens, DO NOT increase the current upper rate by a few measley percentage points. The rivers will surely run dry, frogs will rain from the heavens, and then Hell will swallow America whole.

</class-warfare-speak>
I don't know about class-warfare speak, but it is definitely ignorant speak. Since you are basking in the "glory days" of 60% income tax brackets and massive amounts infrastructure investment let's look at a few facts.

Fact: The poor were taxed at 20-25% back then whereas now it's effectively -0-.
Fact: You didn't have Medicare back then.
Fact: Even in the days of the 60% bracket for the rich and 20% for the poor tax revenues never made it past 20% of GDP. Our expenditures are currently 25% of GDP. (read Hauser's Law)

Look at the facts and not some political propaganda being spewed by those whose livelihood depends on government's largess. And I'm including a certain billionaire who has profited rather nicely fronm certain government deals.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:04 am

Populistspeak never stoops to facts.

Michael row your boat ashore, alleluuuuuuuia....

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am

You know what I am noticing this year? I am noticing a lack of "the sky is falling GW is going to kill us all" articles during this time of extreme warmth.

I can't remember a January this warm. Of course it's no different than the fact that we had such a cool summer month whatever it was last summer, but usually every time the high temp is 1 degree warmer in a month we get to hear all the GW religious zealots scream how it proves it is man made global warming, while every time it's colder they say it's just proof of man made climate change LOL.

Haven't seen any of that lately.

Is it because the messiaha is in office or is it because they are finally figguring out that for every warm month they have we have just as may colder than usual months?

Anyway, thought it was kind of nice not having to hear the GW bunch push their religion off on everyone all the time using the MSM, not that there's anything wrong with the MSM pushing that particular religion, it's their stations. I am just glad it's calmed down some.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am

How much is enough, Sardis? When does it all end? How many yachts can you water-ski behind?

How MUCH is enough, huh?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Populistspeak never stoops to facts.[/i]
LOL

toe used to snipe at me for being an elitist; now I'm a populist.

Anybody else here got that kind of range?