Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Uncle Bud

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:21 pm

I like Hendricks as well. Not as clean as Tanqueray, but it's very good. I've got a bottle of Tito's in the bar. I like the idea of small batch distilling although I doubt the end product is much different that what's produced by the ethanol refineries, which is where most vodka comes from. Anyway, it's not bad...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by It's me Karen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Never could stand gin. My parents would serve gin highballs when my grandparents visited. (Am trying to avoid doing a joke about high balls.) Anyhow, vodka is my thing. Love Bloody Mary's and vodka in grapefruit juice, lemonade or cranberry juice. Screw Drivers are ok but not in the same league, IMO. (Also avoiding a joke that combines high balls with screw driver...)

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 am

I'd like to hear AA's take on rye whiskies. if it's limited to Old Overholt, color me disillusioned...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 am

I'n not anti-rye, but it's not the first thing I go for, unless I'm getting a sazerac. Anyway, Rittenhouse makes a nice rye and so does Pappy Van Winkle.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 am

I can't stand to drink whiskey anymore. Not sure why I ever did to be honest.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 pm

I like Scotch much better than bourbon. Bourbon almost seems like candy compared to scotch, in a cloying way. Rye is somewhere in between. Thinner (which is a virtue in this case, IMO) than bourbon, you might even say cleaner, more bracing, but it doesn't have the earthy character of scotch...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Here's an interesting essay by Walker Percy on drinking bourbon and why he prefers it to scotch. It's not really about the flavor to him, he just goes off on some metaphysical tangent. It has literary merit, which counts for alot, but not much else. A mention of drinking bourbon at a UNC/Dook football game is an extra bonus (Percy attended UNC)...

http://www.claremont.org/publications/c ... detail.asp

An excerpt:

"The pleasure of knocking back bourbon lies in the plane of the aesthetic but at an opposite pole from connoisseurship. My preference for the former is or is not deplorable depending on one's value system—that is to say, how one balances out the Epicurean virtues of evocation of time and memory and the recovery of self and the past from the fogged-in disoriented Western world. In Kierkegaardian terms, the use of Bourbon to such an end is a kind of aestheticized religious mode of existence, where as connoisseurship, the discriminating but single-minded simulation of sensory end organs, is the aesthetic of damnation.

Two exemplars of the two aesthetics come to mind: Imagine Clifton Webb, scarf at throat, sitting at Cap d'Antibes on a perfect day, the little wavelets of the Mediterranean sparkling in the sunlight, and he is savoring a 1959 Mouton Rothschild.

Then imagine William Faulkner, having finished Absalom, Absalom!, drained, written out, pissed-off, feeling himself over the edge and out of it, nowhere, but he goes somewhere, his favorite hunting place in the Delta wilderness of the Big Sunflower River and, still feeling bad with his hunting cronies and maybe even a little phony, which he was, what with him trying to pretend that he was one of them, a farmer, hunkered down in the cold and rain after the hunt, after honorable passing up the does and seeing no bucks, shivering and snot-nosed, takes out a flat pint of any Bourbon at all and flatfoots about a third of it. He shivers again but not from the cold. "

I really love that little detail "which he was"...

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 pm

livet>fiddich

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Walker Percy and Shelby Foote were lifelong friends. Their families lived near each other in Mississippi. Percy is the reason Foote attended Carolina. Foote never graduated, but he was active in the Carolina Alumni Association.
hedge wrote:Here's an interesting essay by Walker Percy on drinking bourbon and why he prefers it to scotch. It's not really about the flavor to him, he just goes off on some metaphysical tangent. It has literary merit, which counts for alot, but not much else. A mention of drinking bourbon at a UNC/Dook football game is an extra bonus (Percy attended UNC)...

http://www.claremont.org/publications/c ... detail.asp

An excerpt:

"The pleasure of knocking back bourbon lies in the plane of the aesthetic but at an opposite pole from connoisseurship. My preference for the former is or is not deplorable depending on one's value system—that is to say, how one balances out the Epicurean virtues of evocation of time and memory and the recovery of self and the past from the fogged-in disoriented Western world. In Kierkegaardian terms, the use of Bourbon to such an end is a kind of aestheticized religious mode of existence, where as connoisseurship, the discriminating but single-minded simulation of sensory end organs, is the aesthetic of damnation.

Two exemplars of the two aesthetics come to mind: Imagine Clifton Webb, scarf at throat, sitting at Cap d'Antibes on a perfect day, the little wavelets of the Mediterranean sparkling in the sunlight, and he is savoring a 1959 Mouton Rothschild.

Then imagine William Faulkner, having finished Absalom, Absalom!, drained, written out, pissed-off, feeling himself over the edge and out of it, nowhere, but he goes somewhere, his favorite hunting place in the Delta wilderness of the Big Sunflower River and, still feeling bad with his hunting cronies and maybe even a little phony, which he was, what with him trying to pretend that he was one of them, a farmer, hunkered down in the cold and rain after the hunt, after honorable passing up the does and seeing no bucks, shivering and snot-nosed, takes out a flat pint of any Bourbon at all and flatfoots about a third of it. He shivers again but not from the cold. "

I really love that little detail "which he was"...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

bourbon is pretty sweet. never understood why people mix it with coke or, around here, Mountain Dew or Sundrop. blended scotch is too smoky for my tastes. it's OK but not my first choice. rye was a bit harsh, as I recall. but something about it made me want to keep drinking it.

single malt is the best whisky but I wouldn't know one from another

Hizzy III
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 pm

As a whippersnapper right out of college, I used to mix Beam/JD/et al with Coke. Now that I'm older, I tend to prefer it dry and straight .
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Me too. Although, I'm a firm believer in eat/imbibe as you see fit. You like Dr. Pepper and single malt? None of my bidness. Just don't ask me to buy one/drink one.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan

Post by It's me Karen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I used to drink vermouth on the rocks. Don't ask me why...some kind of phase, I guess. Lots of people gave me the business for that.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Lots of chicks do that. Tell them to get them some bidness and a GED.
— Abraham Lincoln

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 pm

What if they can't even spell GED?
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Then they should be ignored anyway.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm

"I used to drink vermouth on the rocks. Don't ask me why...some kind of phase, I guess."

I did that too. I actually kinda like vermouth. I still give the martini shaker a goodly splash when I'm making a batch about half the time...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Like I said, lotsa chicks do that.
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Yep. When did hedge turn into a pussy?

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

I prefer Beefeater gin.
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm