The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

jw matthews
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by jw matthews » Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Where did you get the information that much if any of the intelligence information came as a result of waterboarding? I've not read that. The only specific item I recall seeing is that the hotshot they waterboarded 100 plus times refused to say he even knew the courier's nickname which had been given by underlings at Gitmo. Even under torture he and the other higher up that we had in hand denied having heard of him. It was the denial that caused suspicion.

Is there other real information out there that indicates/proves evidence was gleaned from torture which was not gathered by other means and methods?

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sun May 08, 2011 12:35 pm

I saw it on Fox. Said the guy had been waterboarded 184 times. Not sure what specifically he gave up in relation to Osama but the overall information about finding Osama was a combination of intelligence, some of it from waterboarding.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun May 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Actually, that doesn't tell me much. What it says is that some ofthe intel came from detainees. Some of the detainees that this intel came from experienced enhanced interrogation techniques (EIT). It is in no way obvious, or stated (at this point, from a credible individual), that the specific information about couriers, compounds or any other information that led to the killing of OBL came directly from EIT.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (the guy waterboarded 183/4 times) did not give up courier information. He actually impressed his questioners.

What should be touted, instead of all this talk of EIT (which is a sad direction for us to take as a country) is to focus on Bush's contribution to the Arab Spring. That should be a legacy he trumpets. It's more valid.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Stormaktstiden
Freshman
College Hoops Affiliation: Presbyterian

Post by Stormaktstiden » Sun May 08, 2011 4:43 pm

If all these Arab uprisings continue then Bush Jr's name could loom large in the history books. Amazing.
Where vice is vengeance follows.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Sun May 08, 2011 7:16 pm

U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 am

What happens when you mix an individual's stupidity and arrogance with a misplaced prosecutorial focus?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... incart_hbx
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 am

mandatory minimums applied to weed are ridiculous.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 am

basically.

jw matthews
Freshman

Post by jw matthews » Mon May 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Panetta did not say any intelligence came from waterboarding. If you have a quote that he did, remember where you saw it?

He did say that some of the information came from Gitmo, and therefore implied that some 'may' have come from detainees who underwent some of the contentious interrogation methods. No specifics though.

Fox is hardly a reliable source in this sort of matter. I don't doubt that some infomation MAY have come from some of the more intensive interrogations, but saying it is so not only does not make it so, it doesn't mean that the same information may well have been achieved as well by more conventional means.

There have been some out and about on the bullshit circuit using the killing of Osama do justify/defend the now eliminated techniques such as water boarding; the only ones saying so I have read are the self serving usual suspects.

Its not a major point, but it is a minor one and it would be useful to know what intelligence methods worked, worked best and which did not work so well.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon May 09, 2011 12:35 pm

How I read it was that we did receive information from waterboarding but Panetta questioned if other techniques wouldn't have been more effective given how well trained the guy was at providing misleading information during the interrogation.

Doesn't matter either way - I'm staunchly against any form of torture by Americans, even outsourced torture to other nations on our behalf. I believe that is what separates us from the savages during war.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

jw matthews
Freshman

Post by jw matthews » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

If you run across where you read that, let me know. As I said, its not a major issue at this point but it is of some interest.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Mon May 09, 2011 12:59 pm

You can put your fingers in your ears and drown out the sound of truth all you want, but...

WILLIAMS: Turned around the other way, are you denying that waterboarding was, in part, among the tactics used to extract the intelligence that led to this successful mission?

PANETTA: No, I think some of the detainees clearly were, you know, they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of these detainees. But I'm also saying that, you know, the debate about whether-- whether we would have gotten the same information through other approaches I think is always gonna be an open question.

WILLIAMS: So finer point, one final time, enhanced interrogation techniques -- which has always been kind of a handy euphemism in these post-9/11 years -- that --

PANETTA: Right.

WILLIAMS: -- includes water boarding?

PANETTA: That's correct

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

I believe that is what separates us from the savages during war.

Yep

jw matthews
Freshman

Post by jw matthews » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I looked it up and found the same piece/interview. It does seem like the topic of 'enhanced interrogation' has reared its head again:

>http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42880435/ ... aden-raid/<

I wonder if the issue will be pursued.......much.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Torture is bad and horrible. It doesn't work like it does in "24" and we should be better human beings and a better country than that.

With that out of the way...

Social Security is continuing to run red ink on the critical ratio of payroll tax revenue to benefits paid. This looks at the first five months over the past few years. Benefits march higher while revenues are flat

A closer look at the difference between the primary income and expense. The red ink for the five months in 11' is the first since 1983. Not long ago SS was a cash cow that funded a portion of the federal deficit. Not any longer.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm

how could benefits grow that steadily in just a few years?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Baby Boomers coming online? Not really sure. I need to research more.

Beyond that, however, is the issue that many people don't know regarding how SS has been raided throughout time to fund our deficits. As a result, Congress has made SS more dangerous than it should have been. The problem has not really been SS as much as it has been The Hill using SS surplus revenues to plug other holes. Now, SS itself has been made the boogeyman.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

You can argue whether waterboarding is torture. You can argue that we should not use torture to get information. But to argue that torture isn't effective is refuting thousands of years of history...

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Mon May 09, 2011 2:07 pm

THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.