Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Owlman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Nothing wrong with that. It's a cat, afterall. Now, if it were a dog...................
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:14 pm

FSU better be prepared for a strong suggestion from The Swoff that they look at changing the beer policy at Leon Co. Roy says it's dangerous and Roy is always right.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

GregBarnes
IC Staff
6133 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 6:40 PM
New Info on Decision to Leave Court Early (updated 6:35pm)
Just got off the phone with UNC SID Steve Kirschner. Here's his breakdown of what happened with 14.2 seconds left to play on Saturday.

Roy Williams’s intention was to ask the referees and Leonard Hamilton if it was okay to end the game with 14.2 seconds left and leave the court before the students rushed the floor. Williams didn’t know until he got home and watched the tape that the walk-ons and Stilman White finished the game.

Williams told Kirschner the following this afternoon: “I thought everyone had left the floor. I got into the locker room and I was trying to figure out what took so long for those guys to get in."

Williams asked Hamilton if he would be offended if Williams took his players off the court with 14.2 seconds to play, and Hamilton responded that he thought it would be a good idea.

As Williams was walking toward the FSU bench, he turned and yelled at Joe Holladay, ‘Let’s go!’ but apparently Holladay didn’t know if Williams meant the entire team or just the bench, so C.B. McGrath offered to stay with the five remaining on the court.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 pm

If Roy fucks up my ability to get hammered at the games I will kick his pussy ass!!!

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 pm

who asks an opposing coach if it's ok to end a game early? seriously, FSU once beat NC State by 60 points and I would have been incensed of Mike O'Cain had asked Bobby Bowden if it was ok to end the game with 14 seconds left. I dont think Roy has any idea how to handle any adversity to the point that he will do anything to avoid his perfect little world from being rocked.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Dr. Nostron wrote:If Roy fucks up my ability to get hammered at the games I will kick his pussy ass!!!
maybe he'll just insist that FSU sell Chardonnay instead of beer.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Well, people don't rush the field or court when they beat NC State basketball or football unless you really suck (see: Carolina Football, John Bunting Era).
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

goldenbear
Senior

Post by goldenbear » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Why are they rushing the floor against the number 3 team in the nation when they are up 30,

I could see on a buzzer beater , a spur of the momentum thing but UNC was not undefeated they were not number one, pretty lame rushing the floor

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I should have known Roy would come up with some way to try to cover his ass.

Oh, I didn't know we left any players out there. I was suh..suh..suh ..scared so I ran off. I thought they followed me.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:55 pm

this is twice in one season that Roy has left the court early. that makes two more times than any other coach in the history of basketball. Dean ran the four corners, Roy ran to the locker room. I guess that's the Carolina version of innovation.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Roy's own words....When in the history of basketball has a coach asked to leave the game early? please give me an example if there is one.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1149321.html

On the final 14.2 seconds:
“After the game, I always usually say a couple of things to the team, sometimes a little longer. One of our wins this year I kept them in the locker room a little longer. I think the media made a statement about that because I was concerned with how we were playing. I had a friend of mine who said, ‘You’ve been so frustrated, but you’ve been winning, you’re winning by 20.’ And I said, ‘I’m concerned about how we’re playing. We’re not trying to prepare to win one game in the regular season. I’m trying to get us to be the best team.’
"But usually I say a couple of quick things, get them together, I say a little prayer, they don’t have to pray, they just have to put their hands in with me, whatever they want to do. And then we go on and I go to the press conference. Coach Smith would always come in and not even do that. We would just get up, put our hands together and say a quick little prayer. I’d say, ‘Coach, I’ve got to blast them sometimes.’ This is when I became a head coach and he always said, ‘You should wait until you see the tape and you know exactly what you’re saying and know if you’re exactly right or wrong because sometimes coaches can mess it up, too, something that they thought they saw.’
"So I basically have adhered to that, but I say a few things. Well, after the game Saturday, our players got in the locker room and I walked in and said one sentence: ‘Everybody up.’ We came together and we put our hands together. I said a little prayer and I walked out, because I did not want to talk to my team at that point.
"We got on the bus, went to the airport, got on the airplane, came home, the bus pulled up down into the ramp at the Smith Center. Everybody that we call AYOs – all you others – get off the bus and I walked to the back of the bus and this time I gave them the schedule. I said, ‘We have Special Olympics [on Sunday], everybody be there at 12:45.” And I got off the bus. I still didn’t say one thing about the game, because I still wasn’t mature enough to say anything… Today we met. We had a film session. They did weights. We had another little film session. We went out on the court, went back into the locker room [and] finished watching the tape.
"And I apologized to five guys because I did not even know until I watched the game tape that my five walk-ons stayed out there on the court. Did not know that. Regardless of how, in my opinion, unfairly people have treated Steve Kirschner when he tried to give them a response, that’s the exact truth. There’s nothing else. That’s the exact truth, because if you watch the tape, Joe Holladay and I at first are talking. Joe said, ‘We’re going to have problems getting off this court again, because they’re already in the aisles. We’re going to have problems.’ I think Jamie Luckie was in front of our bench. And I’m whispering or talking into his ear while the game is going, I said, ‘Jamie, we’re going to have a problem getting off the court. Do you have any suggestions?’ He said, ‘I don’t know what to tell you.’
"And then all of a sudden there’s a dead ball and a timeout and I start walking and I motion for Leonard Hamilton to come. Leonard comes up there and I said, ‘Leonard, I’m worried about getting our guys off the court. Would it offend you if we were to leave?’ He said, ‘No, I think that’s what you should do.’ Which I thought was great on Leonard’s [part]. I’ve known him for 100 years and he’s always sensible on things like that. He said that and I told him, ‘Leonard, I appreciate that. Please understand this is not intended to be an indictment on your security.’ …
"I turned to Joe Holladay and I motioned. I said, ‘Come on,’ and I took about three steps. You could see it on TV, regardless of what those people are saying to Steve Kirschner. Leonard said something, ‘Roy – your players.’ And I turned around and said, ‘Come on!’ And you could see me motion my arm again. I take off but I stop and try to congratulate as many players as I can… I go to the locker room and it is a long way down the side of the court, it’s all of the way back there. And I get back there and I’m standing outside of our locker room waiting for every player to get in. And I said, ‘Is that everybody?’ And they said, ‘No.’ And I’m standing there and all of a sudden here comes Joe Holladay and Patty Crouch. I said, ‘What took Patty so long?’ He said, ‘He got caught up in the crowd.’ And I didn’t know what the crap he was talking about. I went in and I did exactly what I told you earlier…
"I am watching the tape of the game and it’s the first time that I realize that the five Blue Steel guys stayed out there on the court. Every prospect, every walk-on that I’ve ever had, I say one thing: ‘If I ask the biggest star on our team to run a sprint, you’re going to have to run a sprint. If I eat steak, you’re going to eat steak. Whatever happens to every scholarship player, you have to do.’ I would never leave five kids out there. If I’m going to do that, why wouldn’t I stay out there? …
“Steve comes to see me [on Monday] and I said, ‘Are we getting drilled?’ Because I hadn’t read Sunday’s paper until [Monday]. And he said, ‘You’re just getting drilled because of leaving those five guys out there. I said, ‘It’s funny you say that because I just apologized to my team 20 minutes ago.’ I said, ‘Guys, there was miscommunication between me and Coach Holladay. I did not even know that you guys stayed out to play the game.’ Stilman [White] comes up and said, ‘Coach, I came up to you but you were talking to Coach Hamilton. I didn’t know if you just wanted me to stand there and dribble the ball or not.’ I said, ‘Stilman, I would have sacrificed you, but I would not have sacrificed five of you.’ …
"So Steve Kirschner calls some people on the radio and tells them that and basically – I’m not going to speak for Steve – but they get on the radio and say it’s not true. You’ve got to handle a lot of things in life, but you’re not going to call me a liar. That’s exactly what happened. Every player on our team will tell you that, every coach. I even told the coaches -- today was the first time that I told them I didn’t know our guys stayed out there. I didn’t want to talk to any coach. I was going to kill some-frickin-body. We just got beat by 33… It was a mistake. It was confusion. It was miscommunication. But the fact of the matter is Florida State kicked our rear ends.”

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 pm

There is no defending Roy's actions on Saturday. Period. I prefer the Ademola Okulaja Method of knocking the shit out of the dookies* who got in his path on the way to the locker room in the outhouse* in 1998.

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:05 am

Roy's explanation is even worse than the original move. if it is true, which I doubt, how the hell did he not know there were still 5 UNC players desperately trying to get into the scoring column? Also, who ends a game 14 seconds early?

but all this is merely obfuscating a far greater shame endured by UNC on Saturday: letting a team that only scored 10 in a half this year score 90 and beat them by 33.

"mediocre" is something UNC will have to work for, augie. don't just hand it to them.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:10 am

I think Roy is losing his damn mind.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 am

look, I know UK fans would be doing the same thing if it was Cal, but I have to laugh at the guys saying - of course Roy had to leave the 5 walkons out there, we can't forfeit!

and then that is exactly what Roy is now saying he intended to do.

any objective observer would realize that Roy is just making this up as he goes along in an effort to avoid the criticism he is getting.

on another note - the arc under the basket has ruined college basketball. Any contact in the paint is now a charge
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:30 pm

last week Rick Pitino chastised a reporter for running a story saying his practices were too hard and players were getting hurt. He had quotes from a former player saying that he was always 80% and a coach saying it was unwise.

Pitino threw a fit and told the reporter he was hurting recruiting.

Since then Pitino has lost two key players with ACL blowouts.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

jumped the gun on Ware - bruised knee

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Wait, what is constituting "too hard." If he's doing something that contributes to knee issues, "too hard" is too minimal a phrase.

If he's just Pat Rileying them, then it's not knee injury that is a potential consequence (at least not much more than any other normal style of practice is).
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.