Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by hedge » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

OK, we got a new computer for Christmas, it's not the absolute top of the line, but it's got more than we'll ever need and shouldn't have any issues. Running Windows 7, 64 bit (whatever that means). I installed Open Office b/c I didn't want to pay for MS Office, but they did have some thing on here called "Office Starter", which (IIRC) I downloaded, but it appears to just be a lure for you to purchase Office. I also installed the Google Chrome browser but haven't used it.

Anyway, now when we leave the computer on and alone for any number of hours, there's just a blank screen when you get back. It has the background image, but no desktop icons and no start menu and no way to bring them up. Sometimes if I've left a browser window open, it seems like it doesn't blank everything out as quickly, but it still does it if you leave it for long enough. So then you have to manually cut it off and cut it back on and then everything comes back up.

I uninstalled Google Chrome, thinking that Microsoft was bitter towards them and that's why they have put some annoying shit like this in here, to hope you would think it was google and then turn you off to them. I've also thought maybe it has something to do with the Open Office. When I click on MS Office in the start menu, a box pops up and says "Office Starter 2010 is installed and then it gives you two buttons to click on, either "I already purchased Office 2010" (which I haven't) and "Purchase Office 2010 online." So maybe I should uninstall this MS Office "Starter", whatever the fuck it is.

But if it's not any of that, what is it and what can I do to make the desktop stuff disappear whenever you leave it for a few hours (which is every night)?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Are your automatic power settings shutting you down? Sounds like hibernate or sleep mode is setting in.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 pm

that is what it sounds like to me too, but for whatever reason its not completely going into hibernation.

When you get to that screen can you press the space bar, click the mouse or hit the power button on the computer quickly and get it to come back?

Also, I'll send you a DVD of Office 2007 if you want it. I wouldn't want the starter pack on the machine.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 pm

"When you get to that screen can you press the space bar, click the mouse or hit the power button on the computer quickly and get it to come back?"

No, that's the whole thing. If all the icons disappeared but popped right back up as soon as I hit a key or shook the mouse, I wouldn't care. But I have to manually turn it off (I say manually, b/c the start menu is gone as well, so I can't turn it off/on from there - not that I would even be wanting to except for this glitch in the first place). That ain't right.

I'll uninstall that Office Starter. Thanks for the Office 2007, but I think they can manage with Open Office. If not, I'll take you up on your offer...

If it is the auto power settings, how should I reset them?

Finally, anybody got a recommendation on a covert GPS tracker on the youngest (and wildest) daughter's vehicle? How does that work? One time fee or monthly? Real time or delayed? B/c I'll pay extra for real time, just so I can catch her sneaky lying ass in a bold face lie while I'm on the phone with her. Her mom would like that, too...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Go to start, control panel, power settings. Change your settings to shutdown 'never' or something clsoe.

But only after you format the C drive. That's very, very important.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Hedge just learned a hard lesson. Never buy a computer from Wall*Mart.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:39 pm

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gpsca ... rrent.html

also

Sprint/Nextel

Family Locator $9.99 per month Track the whereabouts of up to four phones on your plan, online or by phone. Schedule regular checks, or request an emergency one. (Some service plans may also require a data subscription.)

Verizon

Chaperone Service $9.99 to $19.99 per month Determine the location of any phone on your plan, online or by phone. For $10 more a month, designate "Child Zones" say, school, a best friend's house or the little league practice field and receive text messages whenever your child's phone (and, presumably, your child) enters or leaves one of these safe zones.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Verizon just put Mook out of business. Sorry Mook. Hope that neighbour boy doesn't have Verizon.

CAT
Sophomore
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by CAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I have a couple of tech questions I need answered by you almighty ones who know what a computer REALLY is-and does!
I am having some photos taken, he sends them by email jpegs at 650/433 pixels--can I make a decent 8/10 with this? to go to 2048/1365 pixels would cost another $110--double the photo session-- Other question is, I have office 2003, I have been getting some documents that say I need a newer version to open them properly (I get this with WORD too) can I update both of them without paying a fortune for a new Office-- WORD was already on my computer so do I have to buy that also? All this is coming when we have major finances to pay and as I am arranging seminars I REALLY need both Office and Word. My Laptop is all buggered up--takes 10 minutes+ to sign on that will have to wait. I am not travelling for a while. Just totally frustrating when you are absolutely non-technical (I can paint a decent picture though!--and interior design--no problem!) Thank you in advance for help/info. (the valium, wine, vodka and soma is NOT working!)
I try not to limit my madness to March

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 pm

As far as printing, not for sure. If I were guessing, I would say not. You may just need to try it to see what happens.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

Download the office compatibility pack. Should allow you to open the documents created by 2007 and 2010.

If not, go to http://www.openoffice.org/ and download Open Office. On the install of it, there is a section to have Word, Excel, and Powerpoint open automatically with it. Make sure those boxes are UNCHECKED. I believe it tells you that also but just make sure. You can use that to open files you can't open with Word and save them as Word 2003 files.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you me love--will try it. Just don't need the expence of more software right now----and you think the smaller pixels won't do a good 8x10----and I do need that! Just to add to my day I am putting a group trip together for our organisation. --It says in BOLD CAPS--underlined--"Trip to England and Scotland" they have a daily itinerary describing where we are going that day and what we will be seeing. Had 3--count THREE phone calls today asking if it includes Ireland!!!! have added a bottle of vodka I got in Moscow to my lunch menu, some Lorazapam and a bottle of Spatlese--still not working!!

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Guess if I can't spell expense maybe somethings working!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 pm

I checked the power settings on this computer, it is set to turn off the display if left idle for 15 minutes, and it is set to put the computer to sleep "never". Now what?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Change the display to never and just turn the monitor off manually if you leave it on and unattended for long hours.
— Abraham Lincoln

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 pm

BRM--it's still telling me it can't read a 2007 word file as I have 2003!! a simple bloody word file!!! Is Microsoft so pisspoor it does this to make us buy updates??? and of course this HAS to contain info I NEED! sorry for whinging--one of those days!

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 pm

You can download a free W 2007 reader.
— Abraham Lincoln

CAT
Sophomore

Post by CAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

BRM gave me some links but they were not working--I think I may have a problem in the fact I do not have the full Office 2003--I have the Student and Teachers edition which was a lot cheaper--don't know if this is it or just my stupidity--still trying to figure out some of the language used. Probably need to take a break and start fresh tomorrow.

Hizzy III
Junior

Post by Hizzy III » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 am

2013 Dodge Dart

The Dart in its hey day (1968-1971)...

In about 1973, however, US automobile styling and engineering went to shit--giant shitboxes with underpowered engines and horrible production quality.
From the town of Possum's Paw, Alabama, standing 6'2" and weighing 150 lbs, the one, the only, the legend... Bootney Farnsworth.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 am

hedge wouldn't have these troubles if he'd just bought a mac

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova