Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Orangefreak
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Post by Orangefreak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 am

I wonder who is out there we can get? I'm thinking we need to get someone from the Southeast. We don't need to pick people from other regions of the country; they are just looking at us like a stepping stone.
Let the Jones era begin

Hacksaw
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:06 am

"Then we never should have hired him."

That's a good point. I don't disagree. Of course, he may have been the best option available at the time.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:10 am

Orangefreak wrote:I wonder who is out there we can get? I'm thinking we need to get someone from the Southeast. We don't need to pick people from other regions of the country; they are just looking at us like a stepping stone.
Dooley has a presser scheduled for 10 a.m. tomorrow. Rumor mill says former Miami Hurricanes head coach Randy Shannon has been seen on campus. Stay tuned.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:12 am

It is Shannon. $1 million a year for 5 years.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:19 am

If it is Shannon, it has the potential to open up a huge pipeline for south Florida talent.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 am

How so? He couldn't get talent when he was at Miami.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 am

He's a fixture in south Florida. It stands to reason that he would have contacts there. I did say "potential" -- not counting any chickens.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 am

Anyway, it's all just farting in the wind right now. The Shannon rumors could turn out to be nothing but pure bullshit.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 am

It's internet rumors. You guys must not remember all the planes supposedly seen in Knoxville when POS scumbag left. Gruden "bought land" in Tennessee. They all work themselves into a frenzy and then it comes crashing down around them.

In this instance Paralady supposedly leaked that info on his twitter feed. He has missed before, pun intended.

With all the rumors I see I don't believe anything until I see it officially.

But I will say this rumor has had more legs than any one I have seen in the past.

It would be extremely quick IMO to have that position filled, heck Wilcox just left today.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 am

I think it's more than a rumor.
— Abraham Lincoln

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:41 am

It's definitely moved beyond rumor status now.

That does not mean, however, that it's a done deal.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:46 am

Well I can see how our own fans worked themselves into such a frenzy that it seems like more than it is. That happened with Gruden and others more times than I can count on other sites.

So call me skeptical with this one too, even though it seems to have legs. It would be hard to get all that done with just learning Wilcox was leaving today (or over the last two days).

Shannon is a valued DC and has been heavily sought, and it's hard for me to see anyone that heavily sought to come to Tennessee right now as thin as we are personell wise and playing in the SEC (I think that's the main reason Wilcox left, he doesn't want any part of the SEC, too tough for him).

Shannon was a very good DC and recruiter. His defenses all ranked in the top 10 every year except 1. He would be a very good get.

Unfortunately so many bombs have exploded on our program over the last 3 years that hurt us bad I can't bring myself to believe something this good could happen to us.

I want to, but just can't right now LOL.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 am

Totally agree, BOJ.

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:48 am

Big Orange Junky wrote:Unfortunately so many bombs have exploded on our program over the last 3 years that hurt us bad I can't bring myself to believe something this good could happen to us.
That's the reason my good buddy Jack, Jack Daniels, has been on standby so much lately. :(
Let the Jones era begin

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:49 am

From what I understand, Shannon burned a lot of bridges with high schools in South Florida. But I guess he'd be more of a connection for you there than you've had in the past. He was a good DC at Miami, just not a particularly good head coach.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:03 am

Dooley's press conference is now a meeting with the media and will not be streamed live. Reports are that Shannon is not interested.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 am

The "shannon not interested" thing came from someone just trolling. The link the guy provided just stated that as of 7pm nobody had been offered the job. The troll said that meant "shannon was not interested".

No new info at all really on the DC.

Looks like they may be rethinking the Arnett situation and I disagree with that. You don't let a punk kid cry to the media and get their way. Even if they were right you don't cave to the media, PERIOD. You don't reward bad behavior, especially in light of him now applying to ND. God I hate PC.

The solution first proposed was fair all the way around. If you really want to be with your father here are some DI shools close to home that we don't recruit against. If you are just wanting out of a signed contract then tough. That was the most logical thing. Now it appears the kid will get what he wants and will be rewarded for blatantly using his ill father for personal gain.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:35 am

Yeah, looks like Dooley has flipped and plans to release the kid to wherever he wants.
— Abraham Lincoln

GBJs
Senior

Post by GBJs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

puterbac wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:They're both west coast guys. Wilcox has probably viewed the Pac Ten as his ultimate destination ever since he was at Boise. The only reason he ever became a candidate for the DC job at UT was Dooley's familiarity with him, due to playing against his defenses every year when he was at La. Tech. He always felt like a temporary hire. Sirmon's a former Pac Ten assistant who will be returning to his home state.

Then we never should have hired him. Now we have to try and hire a third dc in four years with what everyone thinks is a lame duck coach.

Players have to learn a new scheme...again.

Fuck.
This is almost like y'all bein' on probation!!!!

/knifetwist...
Worth. Every. Cent.

Orangefreak
Senior

Post by Orangefreak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Has anything came out of the press conference yet?
Let the Jones era begin