Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm

I would guess the uncertainty of knowing how far it's going to go long-term, particularly in light of the fact that Obama is on-record saying that his eventual goal is "single payer" and acknowledging that it will have to be done incrementally in order to get it past the majority of people who don't want it. Future costs, contrary to what Obama has promised, are already being estimated to be exorbitant. And there's no way to know how high they will rise, or what effect it will have on the overall economy. The huge increase in the national debt since Obama was sworn-in doesn't seem to have phased him, so it's natural for people to wonder how much more he'll add to it and what effect it will have.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Hacksaw wrote:You're making way too much sense, puter.
No doubt. Especially the part about how the payroll tax cut extension "isn't really a tax cut that is going to help the economy."

If only you could call it something else...like a rebate, maybe. And then stick dubya's name on it somewhere. Then - magically - it would become a major boon to the economy...a master stroke of stimulus strategery.

You gotta love it. Puter cheerleads with all his might for extending tax cuts for the "job creators" - even while they have mega-billions of cash sitting on the sidelines while they purport to try to "figure out how the future will unfold." When all they've really done is figure out how to produce more with less U.S. manpower.

But tax cut extensions for working people - fuck that, right? They must not need it - since this holiday buying season has been successful beyond anyone's expectations. Although come to think of it - people DID have that extra takehome pay to spend...thanks to the payroll tax cut of 2011.

that really didn't help the economy - LOL
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Hacksaw wrote:I would guess the uncertainty of knowing how far it's going to go long-term, particularly in light of the fact that Obama is on-record saying that his eventual goal is "single payer" and acknowledging that it will have to be done incrementally in order to get it past the majority of people who don't want it. Future costs, contrary to what Obama has promised, are already being estimated to be exorbitant. And there's no way to know how high they will rise, or what effect it will have on the overall economy. The huge increase in the national debt since Obama was sworn-in doesn't seem to have phased him, so it's natural for people to wonder how much more he'll add to it and what effect it will have.
Gotta love that old single-payer canard. Oprama mouthed that little snippet many years ago; long before he sat down with the CEOs of the top 50 health insurers. Reality always trumps rhetoric (see: Cheney and rose petal parades)

The odds of us ever having a single-payer healthcare system are about the same as the odds of us having a state-run oil industry.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 pm

No one really can predict the cost to the government of providing for thes employees.
If the large company pays for the penalty, then that is less cost to the corporation, meaning the only uncertainty is a windfall for the corp. Otherwise, the costs remain the same. Also, if they don't pay for their employees, they don't go on any govt insurance (medicaid) because they make too much to qualify.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

Hacksaw wrote:I would guess the uncertainty of knowing how far it's going to go long-term, particularly in light of the fact that Obama is on-record saying that his eventual goal is "single payer" and acknowledging that it will have to be done incrementally in order to get it past the majority of people who don't want it. Future costs, contrary to what Obama has promised, are already being estimated to be exorbitant. And there's no way to know how high they will rise, or what effect it will have on the overall economy. The huge increase in the national debt since Obama was sworn-in doesn't seem to have phased him, so it's natural for people to wonder how much more he'll add to it and what effect it will have.

First, even if Obama wanted a "single payer" system, that has absolutely nothing to do with the current health care bill. Plus, regardless of what conservatives are saying, the Congressional Budget Office, has estimated that the costs of PPACA is cheaper than what the status quo was.

And third, none of that has anything to do with the current health care bill and so called uncertainty in hiring. And while I agree with you that some people wonder what it will do longterm, corporations don't. I actually have a student who just wrote a health law paper (still have to grade it) with the premise that it caused increased cost to corporations that were already providing health care to their employees and the only case he found it (at least in his draft) was where the corporation was providing minimum coverage.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Owlman wrote:
Thank you for a serious response.
First, even if Obama wanted a "single payer" system, that has absolutely nothing to do with the current health care bill. Plus, regardless of what conservatives are saying, the Congressional Budget Office, has estimated that the costs of PPACA is cheaper than what the status quo was. This latter point therefore, really doesn't seem to effect longterm decision making by corporations more than many other decisions by the govt.

And third, none of that has anything to do with the current health care bill and so called uncertainty in hiring. And while I agree with you that some people wonder what it will do longterm, corporations don't as far as I can see. I actually have a student who just wrote a health law paper (still have to grade it) with the premise that it caused increased cost to corporations that were already providing health care to their employees and the only case he found it (at least in his draft) was where the corporation was providing minimum coverage.
Last edited by Owlman on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Look, this doesn't mean that their isn't going to be an increase cost to those that were already providing health care insurance.. It doesn't mean it won't. I keep hearing that there will be and have never heard an explanation from anybody as to how?
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

judiciary committee meeting today to vote on SOPA. sign a petition, call or write you congressperson to put a stop to this blatant attack on our civil liberties...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

Happy Birthday, Bill [of Rights]: Obama Breaks Promise To Veto Bill Allowing Indefinite Detention of Americans

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/12/15/ob ... americans/
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 am

I still chuckle every night when the local news says at 11 that Newt is still the Republican front runner. In fact, im laughing now.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:22 am

Owlman wrote:
No one really can predict the cost to the government of providing for thes employees.
If the large company pays for the penalty, then that is less cost to the corporation, meaning the only uncertainty is a windfall for the corp. Otherwise, the costs remain the same. Also, if they don't pay for their employees, they don't go on any govt insurance (medicaid) because they make too much to qualify.
Under Opramacare, employees who are within 400% of the poverty line (about $88K) will receive subsidies to help them participate in the CHIP program.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 am

govt subsidy chart for exchanges:

http://healthreform.kff.org/subsidycalculator.aspx

for a 40 year old single man at 400% of poverty, his subsidy is $128.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:48 am

By the way, I still don't understand how this would retard hiring. If you have a business plan, you hire based on that business plan. If there is a govt program that may give me a windfall profit in a few years but it may get repealed, I will still hire based on that original business plan. I just don't understand the argument, I may get a bunch of money down the road, so I'll not hire who I ordinarily would have hired.
My Dad is my hero still.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 am

the Congressional Budget Office, has estimated..

White flag raised, end of argument.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 am

Chris Hitchens has died. I always liked him. He was my favorite atheist.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am

wish I had a dollar for every column he wrote that was posted on PNN

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 am

Didn't he say some harsh things about the Big Guy.

....esophageal cancer....um

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:58 am

"Gotta love that old single-payer canard. Oprama mouthed that little snippet many years ago; long before he sat down with the CEOs of the top 50 health insurers. Reality always trumps rhetoric (see: Cheney and rose petal parades)

The odds of us ever having a single-payer healthcare system are about the same as the odds of us having a state-run oil industry."

Well, I'm not going to apologize for holding the man to his word. They were his words, after all, not mine. He said it. You know that I have the video to prove he said it, because I've posted it several times -- back when you guys acted like it was bullshit that he ever said it. So the video was posted and then your argument became, yeah, but he didn't really mean it or he changed his mind since then.

I'm sure that if there was a video from the early '90s that showed George W. Bush or Dick Cheney talking about how we needed to start a war with Iraq, but we would have to figure out a way to do it slowly, over time, because no one would go for it as the then-current situation stood -- I'm sure you guys would accept all assurances that they didn't really mean it. Go ahead and try to convince anyone here of that.

Obama is on record saying, in his own words, that his ultimate goal is single-payer -- and that he realizes that we will have to get there incrementally over time, in order to achieve that goal, since that's the only way he can sell it to the American people. Since then, he has done everything he can to steer health care towards that ultimate goal. The fact that you would characterize these facts as a "canard" speaks volumes.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:15 am

Hate to lose Hitchens. Hilarious guy.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am

Something about a cocky guy with a ubiquitous cigarette, martini, and English accent, is just plain cool.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
Well, I'm not going to apologize for holding the man to his word. They were his words, after all, not mine. He said it. You know that I have the video to prove he said it, because I've posted it several times -- back when you guys acted like it was bullshit that he ever said it. So the video was posted and then your argument became, yeah, but he didn't really mean it or he changed his mind since then.

I'm sure that if there was a video from the early '90s that showed George W. Bush or Dick Cheney talking about how we needed to start a war with Iraq, but we would have to figure out a way to do it slowly, over time, because no one would go for it as the then-current situation stood -- I'm sure you guys would accept all assurances that they didn't really mean it. Go ahead and try to convince anyone here of that.

Obama is on record saying, in his own words, that his ultimate goal is single-payer -- and that he realizes that we will have to get there incrementally over time, in order to achieve that goal, since that's the only way he can sell it to the American people. Since then, he has done everything he can to steer health care towards that ultimate goal. The fact that you would characterize these facts as a "canard" speaks volumes.

Heh - a video from 2003. Was he still a community organizer back then? Or just a lowly state senator?

All the recorded statements oprama's made since then have him backing off singe-payer. Even going back to 2004 he told the AP that "government should be the healthcare provider of last resort."

But whatever. He said it once, so he can't change his mind, right?

Gitmo closed when? I missed it..