Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Law-breaking UC Davis protesters were warned before being pepper-sprayed -- video of the incident that the Occupy protesters didn't want you to see...

[youtube]HhIuTVihhMI[/youtube]
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Instead of using pepper spray, they should have sprayed them with warm soapy water. They would have broken ranks and run away screaming...
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:17 am

That's why the faculty is mad at the school President. They were outside, no big deal. Leave them there. Sooner or later they were going to go to class or go to get laid.
My Dad is my hero still.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:09 am

How long were those cops supposed to stand around waiting for them to get tired and stop breaking the law? Because it looked in the video like they were surrounded and the crowd was chanting that they would let them leave if their demands were met. Did the cops have any reason to feel like the situation might grow more dangerous if they let it go on? And how long were the other people on campus (including students who were actually trying to, you know, go to class and stuff) supposed to be hindered from doing what they paid a lot of money for?

The protesters could have protested from now until forever and the cops never would have touched them, if they had only stayed within the law. But they were obviously having no success at provoking a police response by keeping their protest lawful. So they made a concsious choice to break the law. And even after they were warned, they chose to be pepper-sprayed. Then they posted video of the incident for all to see the cops' reaction, conveniently leaving out their provocation which led up to it.

And let's drop the phoney-baloney crap about the faculty and their motivation for voicing their outrage over this incident. Because we all know that if this had been a bunch of students protesting illegal immigration they could have been pepper-sprayed -- and beaten with batons for good measure -- and the faculty wouldn't be saying a word.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 am

Hack lives in a world of make believe.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 am

I pretty much agree with Hack on this.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 am

which law were they breaking? blocking a sidewalk? nothing says "the worlds leading democracy" like a jack-booted body armored thug spraying unarmed, non-violent college kids in the face with mace.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:33 am

I didn't notice jackboots or body armor in the above video.

I noticed cops, surrounded, and being screamed at "We will let you leave if you let them go!" I also saw a cop going to each person and telling them that if they didn't unblock the path, that they would be subject to force.

The protestors nodded their understanding and stayed put. They got some pepper spray for their troubles.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 am

the cops are wearing helmets, bullet-proof vests, and boots ie: body armor (as they should be in such a situation). the kids are getting pepper sprayed for sitting on a sidewalk. warning or not. that's what's happening.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 am

All cops wear bullet proof vests. And I would not classify the footwear as jackboots. Boots? I guess, they are hard to see. The only difference I see betyween them and the average cop at Duncan Donuts is something that looks like a bicycle helmet with a half face plastic face piece. In other words, c'mon Augie. Don't you think "jack-booted body armored thug" is a step too far out on the hyperbolic cliff?
— Abraham Lincoln

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:38 am

so if I take out the word "jack" you're ok with what I said?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 am

Take out jackboot, body armor and thug and I think it would be spot on.
— Abraham Lincoln

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:44 am

well that's not gonna happen.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Augie,

Um, okay. It wasn't a demand. I just think that level of hyperbole is silly.

But if you're going to do it, go all the way:
On a cold November morn, the jackbooted stormtroopers -wearing body armor- kicked in the front door of the school. Flashbang grenades rattled the rafters of the building and dust and debris fell like tears in the rain. The terrified children had been fingerpainting and laughing and talking of gumdrops and rainbows as Ivan, a low ranking Imperial Storm Trooper in the 4th Fascist Armored Division, spots his first target: Brittany. Little Brittany was the most frail of all of the children. Too weak to even fingerpaint, she sat in the corner, hooked to her ventilator and thought of happier times. Being paralyzed from waist down, and too weak to even reach the control of her electric wheelchair, Ivan knew he had his target. First, he knocked her from the wheelchair which unhooked her from the ventilator. With her lying there, gasping for air on the floor, Ivan carefully started to bend little Brittany's pinkie backwards until an audible "pop" echoed through the school. Laughing, he repeated the act until the child's fingers looked like a spilled box of badly broken tan-colored crayons. As the last bit of life seeped from Brittany's battered body, Ivan moved on to his next target. Jo-Jo, the defenseless orphan boy with Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, and Leukemia....TO BE CONTINUED
Last edited by AlabamAlum on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Abraham Lincoln

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm

dont know what's hyperbolic about accurately describing the dress of a cop pepper spraying unarmed peaceful American citizens who's crime appears to be sitting on a sidewalk and not immediately complying with orders of said cop. to each his own I guess.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:12 pm

dont know what's hyperbolic about accurately describing the dress of a cop ...

Look at the video again. Take the hat off the cop talking. Now explain to me the differnce you see between the cop in that video and a cop you would see walking down the street heading to Krispy Kreme.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:23 pm

These people were screaming to the cops, "We will let YOU leave if you let them go!" (talking about someone who was arrested, I assume).

The cop went to every person blocking the way and calmly explained to them that they had to move or force would be used. Hell, the students nodded that they understood. They wanted the pepperspray (or whtaever) to bring sympathy to their cause.

God knows they can protest. But that doesn't mean that can protest anywhere and everywhere they want at any and every time they choose. Would you support them protesting in the street and blocking traffic? How about a highway or interstate?
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Let's be honest, we all would love to do what the officer did to that mangy rabble...

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Randy Weaver's son (shot in the back) and unarmed wife were killed by the gubment in 1992, no one went to jail either, and there was less uproar than Augusts' little rant above. Nothing personal, just a comment on the road we're currently on.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.