Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Don't know if you guys caught the debate the other night on CBS - the topic of killing an American came up as well as torture.

I continue to be stunned at how many politicians step on this concept.

Gingrich led the charge speaking authoritatively that the American had been found guilty of being an enemy combatant ( he didn't get into the details of who actually gets to make that declaration but he was reminded it wasn't in a court of law) and then went on , at one point, about the value of torture and waterboarding.

This was Newt Gingrich in 1997 after meeting with the Chinese President Jiang Zemin.

“There is no place for abuse in what must be considered the family of man. There is no place for torture and arbitrary detention. There is no place for forced confessions… the roots of American rule of law go back more than 700 years, to the signing of the Magna Carta. The foundation of American values, therefore, is not a passing priority or a temporary trend.”

Remember back in 1997 when we had our shit together and our biggest concern was a president getting a hummer between meetings?

From Jack Hunter

"Let me be perfectly clear: If the life of my mother, father, child, friend, or basically anyone I loved could be saved by doing horrible things to some horrible person, I would do it. In fact, most normal people wouldn’t mind hurting some bad guy to save the lives of good guys.

The question of torture is not whether in some Hollywood-style, almost-never-happening life-or-death scenario, we should use it. Those who view the issue of waterboarding in this absurd light—an interrogation method everyone from Ronald Reagan to the United States military during World War II has rightly called torture—are being completely unreasonable in their general premise.

The most basic question concerning torture is whether, as a general rule, it should be endorsed. The question is whether it actually works as an interrogation tactic, which most experts say it doesn’t. The question is whether or not torture should be an acceptable rule of thumb for any civilized society.

The question is whether or not torture should be the official policy of the United States.

For most of our history, that answer has been an emphatic “no!”

Most of this year’s Republican presidential candidates care little to nothing about such questions because they know little to nothing about history, know or care little to nothing about our conventional Judeo-Christian Western morality, they know even less about the history of the conservative movement, and most seem content to try to look “tough” in front of GOP primary audiences by explicitly endorsing the use of torture, or, excuse me, “enhanced interrogation techniques.” This view on torture extends to these Republican candidates’ extremely anti-conservative views on civil liberties, recklessness concerning the constitutional powers of the Executive branch, and these candidates’ general dismissal of some of the most basic concepts and precepts of American law."
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Most of this year’s Republican presidential candidates care little to nothing about such questions because they know little to nothing about history
except Gingrich, who is a History professor by training. I think many of them know about history (not Cain and probably not Perry), they are just pandering.
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 pm

I can't figure out why Cain gets a pass on saying shit that Sarah Palin would get crucified for.

Can you imagine if she had said "Ubecki becki becki stanis stan" and refused to name who her advisors were?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Colbert and Stewart give him plenty of shit for it.
THE OG SSG

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:51 pm

eCat wrote:Don't know if you guys caught the debate the other night on CBS - the topic of killing an American came up as well as torture.

Gingrich led the charge speaking authoritatively that the American had been found guilty of being an enemy combatant ( he didn't get into the details of who actually gets to make that declaration but he was reminded it wasn't in a court of law) and then went on , at one point, about the value of torture and waterboarding.
I saw most of it. I think it was only slimy Santorum (pun intended) who actually accurately pulled back and said it was about our values being compromised by such reckless views on interrogation/torture (maybe it was Huntsman who said it, though. I can't remember...either way, it was someone inconsequential).

This GOP field wouldn't be so scary if not for the fact that whoever gets the nod will have a puncher's chance at beating Obama.

Romney, and his ever-changing compass, may be the best shot for a GOP candidate to get in the ring for the Natl Election.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:53 pm

eCat wrote:I can't figure out why Cain gets a pass on saying shit that Sarah Palin would get crucified for.

Can you imagine if she had said "Ubecki becki becki stanis stan" and refused to name who her advisors were?
Because she has tits so it is okay to make fun of her.

However, you can't make fun of the black man. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will strike down upon thee with great fury and anger.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:06 pm

E needs to visit the Something Forum

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Bklyn wrote:
eCat wrote:Don't know if you guys caught the debate the other night on CBS - the topic of killing an American came up as well as torture.

I saw most of it. I think it was only slimy Santorum (pun intended) who actually accurately pulled back and said it was about our values being compromised by such reckless views on interrogation/torture (maybe it was Huntsman who said it, though. I can't remember...either way, it was someone inconsequential).

This GOP field wouldn't be so scary if not for the fact that whoever gets the nod will have a puncher's chance at beating Obama.

Romney, and his ever-changing compass, may be the best shot for a GOP candidate to get in the ring for the Natl Election.
It was Huntsman. Santorum would support us pulling fingernails out with pliers while he read bible verses in the background

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:00 pm

THE OG SSG

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 pm

I heard that on NPR this morning but they didn't say it was a jewish restaurant

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Jesse and Sharpton aren't gonna come to the defense of Cain.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm

eCat wrote:I heard that on NPR this morning but they didn't say it was a jewish restaurant
Looks like (from the Enquirer anyway) they are already thinking it's jewish lightning. I guess you may get away with this one, e.
THE OG SSG

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Jesse and Sharpton aren't gonna come to the defense of Cain.

Ed Zachary.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I pass the Occupy Toronto "camp ground" every day on my work commute

it transformed from a youthful, peaceful protest into a straight up squatting ground for dirty hobos.

they've been told to move on and now the mayor is under hacker threat from the same "anonymous" dude who hacked St. Louis
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:12 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Jesse and Sharpton aren't gonna come to the defense of Cain.

yeah, that was clearly a clueless statement
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Damn:

another campaign has begun circulating video from a speech that Gingrich gave in 2007 to the National Federation of Republican Women where he said that Spanish is “the language of living in a ghetto.”

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/11 ... -a-ghetto/
My Dad is my hero still.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm

We all know that Spanish is the language of living in an upscale townhouse.
Let 'er Blow!

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm

10ac wrote:We all know that Spanish is the language of living in an upscale townhouse.

It probably is in Spain. And Mexico. And most of South America.
THE OG SSG

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Newt , unlike McCain is a seasoned pro. He's won't step into any landmines. I have to believe he has been Romney's biggest fear all along.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:00 pm

He won't step in any landmines, but it won't be a surprise if the blows up while trying to plant a few under his ass
My Dad is my hero still.