Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by 10ac » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm

The media sure latched onto the story quickly. How long before we heard of Jennifer Flowers? It took the National Enquirer to out John Edwards love child and money laundering story.
Let 'er Blow!

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by It's me Karen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
bluetick wrote:But that's good enough for the revisionists. They actually say, with a straight face, that he ram-rodded it through, as if against some imaginary opposition that didn't want it. It's laughable.

In the interest of honest debate...something you opine about every so often...where did anybody say Clinton ram-rodded the welfare bill into existence. And never mind how you over-sold it with the "straight face" and "laughable"..
Are we back-pedaling now? Or is that the white flag? On to Herman Cain and the sexual harrassment story. Kind of funny, considering we had just been talking about ol' Slick Willy. I wonder if the feminists will be as understanding with Cain as they were with Clinton.
Forgive me for interrupting a political discussion, but I have to give you applause for actually spelling pedaling that way and not peddling like I have seen a zillion kallion times in other forums. Kudos.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey, I spelled laundering correctly, dammit.
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Now I can see why.Hack lives in Portland.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 am

Near Portland, actually. I would never live in Multnomah County.

Karen,

Thanks! You're a sweetheart.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by It's me Karen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:30 am

10ac wrote:Hey, I spelled laundering correctly, dammit.
Ok. Ok. I'll give you credit for spelling that correctly. Actually surprised you know such a big word. :P

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 am

Hacksaw wrote:
bluetick wrote:But that's good enough for the revisionists. They actually say, with a straight face, that he ram-rodded it through, as if against some imaginary opposition that didn't want it. It's laughable.

In the interest of honest debate...something you opine about every so often...where did anybody say Clinton ram-rodded the welfare bill into existence. And never mind how you over-sold it with the "straight face" and "laughable"..
Are we back-pedaling now? Or is that the white flag? On to Herman Cain and the sexual harrassment story. Kind of funny, considering we had just been talking about ol' Slick Willy. I wonder if the feminists will be as understanding with Cain as they were with Clinton.
YOU brought up the subject of welfare reform wrt to Clinton. YOU said Clinton was dragged into it "kicking and screaming." Facts were shown that suggested otherwise - even a perspective from the conservative Heritage Foundation.

There's nothing you can point back to that would support this statement: "They actually say, with a straight face, that he ram-rodded it through, as if against some imaginary opposition that didn't want it. It's laughable."

It's a little unsettling that you're laughing about things that don't exist. I don't mind helping you work your way through this, but you have to meet me half way.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:00 am

10ac wrote:The media sure latched onto the story quickly. How long before we heard of Jennifer Flowers? It took the National Enquirer to out John Edwards love child and money laundering story.
Didn't Spitzer's sex club membership get out quick? Seems like Anthony Weiner emailed a pic and got busted within days.

12 years ago...two (?) women paid off...Cain campaign started over a year ago. You could make the case that they latched on pretty quick after he shot to the top I suppose.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 am

Jindal re-elected in Loosianner by bigger landslide than before....not a blip on the national radar mainly because he CUT taxes and Loosianner is ATTRACTING business. Similiar stories about, ya just gotta look...I believe even Tennessee's house went repub majority for the first time EVER.....

Jindal piled up $15 million in campaign cash from around the nation and attracted no Democratic challengers with statewide name recognition or fundraising heft. He's had consistently high approval ratings since taking office in 2008.

His win comes amid the virtual collapse of the Democratic Party's clout in the state. In the current term, Republicans have gained control of all seven statewide elected posts and both chambers of the legislature. Hollis was an outsider to the political establishment and was unable to drum up the cash needed to challenge Jindal or mount a big-ticket advertising competition.

The first Indian-American governor in the United States, Jindal is considered by some a possible presidential contender in the future. He recently published a book and regularly appears on national news shows, but he ruled out a 2012 run.

Still, his brand of conservatism and refusal to raise taxes has resonated outside the state. His new term begins in January.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 am

"YOU brought up the subject of welfare reform wrt to Clinton."

lol...I was talking about Obama and how he compares to Bush and YOU dragged Clinton into the conversation. I have no interest in talking about Clinton. But I'm not going to sit by while you reinvent history.

And you offered no facts to support your argument. Clinton talked about welfare reform in '92. Great. Some conservative wants to give him credit for talking about it. Great. None of that changes the fact that it took Newt Gingrich and a GOP Congress to actually get it done.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 am

"YOU brought up the subject of welfare reform wrt to Clinton."

lol...I was talking about Obama and how he compares to Bush and YOU dragged Clinton into the conversation. I have no interest in talking about Clinton. But I'm not going to sit quietly by and let you reinvent history.

And you offered no facts to support your argument. Clinton talked about welfare reform in '92. Great. Some conservative wants to give him credit for talking about it. Great. None of that changes the fact that it took Newt Gingrich and a GOP Congress to actually get it done.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 am

I do remembert Clinton talking about Welfare reform in his campaign. I never got the sense he was serious about it. Kinda like Obama and closing Gitmo or Bush 43 saying that his Senior RX plan would be redtape-free.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

If we'd just listened to Algore and put SS in a lockbox.....
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

AlabamAlum wrote:I do remember Clinton talking about Welfare reform in his campaign. I never got the sense he was serious about it. Kinda like Obama and closing Gitmo or Bush 43 saying that his Senior RX plan would be redtape-free.
Exactly. Clinton also promised a middle-class tax cut during the campaign. But after he won, before he was even sworn-in, he went back on it (famously saying that he just couldn't figure out a way to pay for it after working on it harder than he ever had in his life ). Using 'tick's logic, he deserves credit for talking about it.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:46 am

I still think Clinton was a decent president. He had gridlock during a good portion of his terms (which is good). He didn't grandstand to get pet projects forced through a Congress he didn't control and he was quick to co-opt some of the R's ideas.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 am

He was awful for the first 2 years, before Newt. Don't forget that this is the same guy who wanted to socialize the health care system. I think when the voters slapped him down with the big GOP congressional victory in '94, it scared him into being a lot more pragmatic. Like most politicians, his #1 goal was to keep his gig. We're seeing now, with Obama, what Clinton would have been like without Newt. He was Bjorn Borg to Clinton's John McEnroe, if you will.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:55 am

excellent tennis analogy

well played

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:57 am

I thought you would like that, Doc. I recently watched some of that documentary on HBO.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 am

Newt for President!

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am

I'd vote for him. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's a lot better than most of the options we have now. He'd be a huge improvement of the amateur that's in there now.