Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 am

The only thing I can think that the protesting might do is give the government pause when they have to start enacting austerity measures like the host of Euro countries have had to do

They understand there are people who will protest for weeks and there are politicians who will capitalize on that.

So in a sense, while it may not be their intent, I think what they are really doing is telling the government - don't even think of cutting social programs, student loans, extended unemployment benefits, etc., because you've bailed out these rich bastards who should have been shuttered for what they did in 2007

That might be the best pre-emptive move they have as I believe those austerity measures are coming - or we'll adopt a Herman Cain tax increase to keep going what we have.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 am

If austerity measures have to be enacted and social programs cut, I don't think the government will hesitate to do so, protests or not. The bailout happened; can't change that (and it was still the right this to do, by-in-large). If programs have to be cut now and bigger protests are on the horizon, look for new noise and pollution laws to be toughened for Zuccotti Park.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 am

I think they'll happen as well,

I just happen to think that if they do happen, they will also be coupled with taxes on corporations and the wealthiest 1%, along with pretty deep military cuts - because these protests will be fresh in peoples minds, and honestly I don't think these people will have anything better to do whenever those decisions have to be made

they'll be better organized and understand they need to have a common message - which will be easier to vocalize being in direct opposition of whatever cuts are being put on the table.

Of course it all depends on who is president and who is voted in congress.

A strong base of tea party candidates and cuts will be everywhere

I'm not sure if the bailout was the right thing to do or not - I still don't see any evidence that the financial markets were about to melt down to gridlock like Paulson was crying out to get the money.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:22 am

sardis wrote:Attorney in Charlotte this year...

Before...

http://www.thethompsonagy.com/jahsite/a ... kohut.html

After...

http://kohut.pro/
this is on the after site:
Named one of the Best Lawyers in America (2012)
Now, that is a great lawyer, one that already knows the future. Maybe the ability to predict the future comes with getting your dick cut off
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:29 am

I don't know, eCat. I just don't think the Wall Street or Government types are that upset about the protests. It's caused a bit of a traffic snarl in areas and Chaz Wellington III can no longer eat his lobster croissant lunch from Le Bernardin in Zuccotti, but all-in-all, they watch the protests with a crooked smile and a bemused air while sipping champagne:

[youtube]vAWv9gV8Cxo[/youtube]
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:30 am

The protests will calm down as winter comes in but will pick up after the Republicans nominate Romney. Not much lasting effect except that it'll lead to proposal to increase regulation on wall street next year. This will not pass the House which will rile up the protests even more.

Both the tea party and this group are not happy with the bailout. They both have a lot of other stuff mixed up with that fundamental complaint though.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:31 am

AlabamAlum wrote:I don't know, eCat. I just don't think the Wall Street or Government types are that upset about the protests. It's caused a bit of a traffic snarl in areas and Chaz Wellington III can no longer eat his lobster croissant lunch from Le Bernardin in Zuccotti, but all-in-all, they watch the protests with a crooked smile and a bemused air while sipping champagne
agree
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:49 am

I don't think the tea party is closely associated with these protests.

While they may not be happy about the bailout of Wall St., they are absolutely against any proposals that will further add government regulation into business

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 am

The OWS crowd did a Zombie Wall Street Banker march:

Along with the lack of a leader or spokesperson or set of demands, I think the image they present, with the bongos and interpretive dance, makes it easier for some people to ignore their message:

Someone in this group needs to study the Civil Rights Protests. They need a MLK, and they need to pay attention to how he presented himself to the people he hoped to sway: Did you ever see him in blue jeans or with an untucked shirt? Overalls and uncombed hair? Of course not. Now, you can argue that appearance shouldn't matter, and maybe you're right, but it does. MLK knew that to get people opposed to him to listen, he had to present himself in such a way that it was more difficult for those people to dismiss his message out-of-hand.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 am

— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:06 am

Great pic, but it was truncated here. Here's a link:

http://thefightback.org/wp-content/uplo ... 09/mlk.jpg
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 am

Two things:

I was listening to NPR interview a Wall St protestor, and I know , that out of the hundreds you could choose , its pretty easy to cherry pick someone to represent whatever position you want

so NPR grabs a young man who used to work as a Capital Hill reporter in D.C. but quit and moved back home to his parents house in Virginia.

I think he was pretty representative of the movement - a young man who doesn't understand why he has to work 40 hours a week just to struggle to get by. The reporter for NPR patiently listened to his concerns and complaints focusing mainly on the job market and how college was marketed to him so that he attended, graduated and was saddled with debt with no job prospects.

The reporter asked him what he studied in college and he told him Germanic studies - this history and culture of Germany

Not Engineering, not Science, not Healthcare, not even education - but a liberal arts degree with limited market value

Now you couple that with the idea that most if not all of us struggled when we were 25 years old to make ends meet and I'm not sure exactly what this young man expectations are - but I bet it is closely coupled with the mindset of all millinuals (sp?)
that they shouldn't have to put in their time to get the job title.

Certainly this kid doesn't represent all the people that are protesting, I think the people have some legitimate complaints regarding the government using our tax money ( putting all us deeper in debt) to aid in wall street while at the same time people are losing homes and kids are dropping out of school because of the economy. To AA's point, they really need better spokesman other than kids that need something in life because they are too young to be DMB fans

Second one was another young man who was in favor of Herman Cain's tax plan. The interview was short but he basically was saying it was time for people to step up and pay their share - at the end of the interview his mother who was standing in the background listening jumped in and informed the reporter that her son didn't even work, has yet to pay any taxes and she was totally against having a 9% tax levied against her.

I really enjoyed hearing that.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 am

Second one was another young man who was in favor of Herman Cain's tax plan. The interview was short but he basically was saying it was time for people to step up and pay their share - at the end of the interview his mother who was standing in the background listening jumped in and informed the reporter that her son didn't even work, has yet to pay any taxes and she was totally against having a 9% tax levied against her.
Heh. It is very easy for someone to volunteer another person's money.
— Abraham Lincoln

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am

Use img2 tags if your image is large.

Code: Select all

[img2]http://thefightback.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mlk.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://thefightback.org/wp-content/uplo ... 09/mlk.jpg[/img2]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am

AlabamAlum wrote: Heh. It is very easy for someone to volunteer another person's money.
Or to cut things that have no effect on them. But cut something they benefit from? No way.
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am

Correct.
— Abraham Lincoln

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 am

MLK always believed in looking at specific goals until the movement got big enough. The other thing that benefitted the movement was sicking dogs and hoses on children and other protestors and that ending up on TV. This thing was very small and virtually ignored by most of the media until some police decided to pepper spray some women on the sidewalk
My Dad is my hero still.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 am

Not sure it would have the same effect this time...
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 am

MLK had a plan and a message. He was a master of the canons of rhetoric, and helped push the media to unwittingly broadcast his message.

He spoke plain but proper English and he dressed conservately but well. No Nehru jackets, jeans or leather. Because of that, his message got through (or at least further than it would have).
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:54 am

Changing the subject: so this guy in Ohio who has cages of lions, tigers, bears (oh my!), wolves, cheetahs, etc. opens all their cages so that they can roam around the countryside and is found dead.

Sounds like a suicide, which is a pretty unique way of doing it.

"Kids, your Uncle Henry has killed himself."

"That's horrible. How did he do it?"

"Lion."
— Abraham Lincoln