Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:58 am

Honest question: When is the last time you watched a full show of (say) Ari Melber, Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow? Ever? I've watched plenty of all of those three, and plenty of Tucker/Hannity/Ingram and I can honestly say there is a major qualitative difference b/w them in what is attempting to be conveyed, the manner in which it is conveyed and the presentation of actual fact. Has any of the MSNBC (I rarely watch CNN so I can't speak on that) cohort ever misspoke or conveyed something that wasn't the case? Of course. But their goal is not to misrepresent, it's to report.

Obviously you don't believe that, and I suspect it's b/c you don't like what they're reporting, but to reflexively brand them as "government propaganda" is really just absurd. For instance, Trump IS about to be indicted for the crimes he DID knowingly commit. That's a fact. And the MSNBC guys I mentioned have reported on that, b/c it's a huge story. But the Fox News reaction is to call the entire US justice system into question rather than the one person who has a long history of shady dealing. Again, it's just absurd...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am

innocentbystander wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:56 am This case is nothing like Alex Jones show.

Dave Del Dotto has been sued before, those cases went nowhere. But in those cases, he actually personally profited from the people who sued him since they sent HIM money for advice (and they failed.) In Dave Ramsey's case, these are people suing because they listened to an advertisement on his show. Likely, this class actions goes nowhere.

Suing financial "experts" for their advice has been done many times. Its just not all that successful so we don't hear about the lawsuits that are lost or dismissed. I don't think Dave's advice is all that valuable because it is intended for people who are completely and totally financially incompetent. Those are the people who need the advice the most but will follow his advice the least. The minute Dave says
Dave Ramsey wrote:live on rice and beans for a few years
people stop listening. They are not going to do that. Its too much of a sacrifice to do that even if that is the best thing they can do.

Suing Dave because a scam artist paid him $30 million to pimp his business, well, if even one person succeeded and got their timeshare cancelled, then maybe its not a scam? Maybe the people who paid all that money had other extenuating circumstances where they couldn't get it cancelled? I have owned timeshare, loved it, used it, and when I was done, sold it. But I was one of the lucky ones.
Everyone, we can stop the discussion now. IB has told us all we need to know, and since he is an expert on common and statutory law in all fifty states and at the federal level (including the differences found in application / interpretation in each of the federal districts) along with an evidentiary and civil procedure guru for each of jurisdiction and district, we can rest assured this analysis is above questioning in the slightest.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:07 am

eCat wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:43 am I have intentionally stayed off the Florida St thread because I didn't want to talk this shit with you guys any more

and god knows there has been no shortage of I told you so opportunities in the last few weeks for me to jump into
No worries brah. Ever since I got you to admit you’re really a lefty at heart a few years ago, things have been more or less settled between us.
Butt juice

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:16 am

hedge wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:58 am Honest question: When is the last time you watched a full show of (say) Ari Melber, Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow? Ever? I've watched plenty of all of those three, and plenty of Tucker/Hannity/Ingram and I can honestly say there is a major qualitative difference b/w them in what is attempting to be conveyed, the manner in which it is conveyed and the presentation of actual fact. Has any of the MSNBC (I rarely watch CNN so I can't speak on that) cohort ever misspoke or conveyed something that wasn't the case? Of course. But their goal is not to misrepresent, it's to report.

Obviously you don't believe that, and I suspect it's b/c you don't like what they're reporting, but to reflexively brand them as "government propaganda" is really just absurd. For instance, Trump IS about to be indicted for the crimes he DID knowingly commit. That's a fact. And the MSNBC guys I mentioned have reported on that, b/c it's a huge story. But the Fox News reaction is to call the entire US justice system into question rather than the one person who has a long history of shady dealing. Again, it's just absurd...

I don't watch any of them. I can honestly tell you I've never watched a single episode of any of them because 24/7 new is entertainment driven for advertising dollars, its not news at all. Of course I know about some of them thru Youtube and other references but other than election night or a plane crash or whatever major world incident is happening, I don't watch them for a single minute

and your take on MSNBC reporting the "news" on Trump about to be indicted is propaganda. Yea, it will probably happen, but its a government directed witch hunt. Over 40 government representatives created a document saying Hunters laptop was fake news, Russian Collusion was real, the Vaccines were safe and stopped covid, the FBI refuses to divulge documentation which could implicate them as having instigators in the crowd on Jan 6 - all things that your MSNBC reported as facts

you really want to talk about what is absurd?

what's absurd is you watch any of it while labeling yourself as an objective and critical thinker
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:22 am

Actually no, what's absurd is admitting you've never watched any of them and then making extreme (and completely false) claims about what they're doing and what they're all about...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:28 am

no, not at all

its a simple premise Hedge

24/7 news can't exist with competition as a new outlet.

ESPN can't even exist as a sporting news outlet in competition with the internet

Its why for the past 15 years, they can't just deliver the sports scores, any moron can get that from the the internet, in order to have to stay relevant , keep viewers and more importantly, attract advertisers, they have to tell you why you care about the scores, why your team is doing badly or doing well, why a guy kneeling on the field or praying in the endzone is important to you and why you should be outraged about it. I don't watch ESPN now to know what they are doing.

its the same thing with news networks.

You know it, and quite frankly I've just been stunned at how much you suck the cock of these people now. The Hedge of 15 years ago was the anarchist against all this stuff. Now you align yourself with the government all in an effort to take down a president who, while admittedly is a grifter, is also the biggest disruptor of all things you railed against when you started on here.

I miss that guy. I mean you're actually trying to convince me MSNBC is some bastion of newsworthy credibility. That Rachel Maddow is some kind of modern day Edward R Murrow. What's happened to you.

Hedge of 1999 would call you a straight up faggeth now
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:05 am

DooKSucks wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:01 am
innocentbystander wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:56 am This case is nothing like Alex Jones show.

Dave Del Dotto has been sued before, those cases went nowhere. But in those cases, he actually personally profited from the people who sued him since they sent HIM money for advice (and they failed.) In Dave Ramsey's case, these are people suing because they listened to an advertisement on his show. Likely, this class actions goes nowhere.

Suing financial "experts" for their advice has been done many times. Its just not all that successful so we don't hear about the lawsuits that are lost or dismissed. I don't think Dave's advice is all that valuable because it is intended for people who are completely and totally financially incompetent. Those are the people who need the advice the most but will follow his advice the least. The minute Dave says
Dave Ramsey wrote:live on rice and beans for a few years
people stop listening. They are not going to do that. Its too much of a sacrifice to do that even if that is the best thing they can do.

Suing Dave because a scam artist paid him $30 million to pimp his business, well, if even one person succeeded and got their timeshare cancelled, then maybe its not a scam? Maybe the people who paid all that money had other extenuating circumstances where they couldn't get it cancelled? I have owned timeshare, loved it, used it, and when I was done, sold it. But I was one of the lucky ones.
Everyone, we can stop the discussion now. IB has told us all we need to know, and since he is an expert on common and statutory law in all fifty states and at the federal level (including the differences found in application / interpretation in each of the federal districts) along with an evidentiary and civil procedure guru for each of jurisdiction and district, we can rest assured this analysis is above questioning in the slightest.
Solicitor,

As you already know, you can sue anyone for anything. Whether or not you can win your case is an entirely different question.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:10 am

eCat wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:28 am no, not at all

its a simple premise Hedge

24/7 news can't exist with competition as a new outlet.

ESPN can't even exist as a sporting news outlet in competition with the internet

Its why for the past 15 years, they can't just deliver the sports scores, any moron can get that from the the internet, in order to have to stay relevant , keep viewers and more importantly, attract advertisers, they have to tell you why you care about the scores, why your team is doing badly or doing well, why a guy kneeling on the field or praying in the endzone is important to you and why you should be outraged about it. I don't watch ESPN now to know what they are doing.

its the same thing with news networks.

You know it, and quite frankly I've just been stunned at how much you suck the cock of these people now. The Hedge of 15 years ago was the anarchist against all this stuff. Now you align yourself with the government all in an effort to take down a president who, while admittedly is a grifter, is also the biggest disruptor of all things you railed against when you started on here.

I miss that guy. I mean you're actually trying to convince me MSNBC is some bastion of newsworthy credibility. That Rachel Maddow is some kind of modern day Edward R Murrow. What's happened to you.

Hedge of 1999 would call you a straight up faggeth now
excellent
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:17 am

Trump lost

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:49 pm

"What's happened to you."

I grew up...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:51 pm

What's happened is that everyone has been radicalized by mass media algorithms and politics worship culture.

The media, whether Fox, CNN, MSNBC, or even like ESPN, none of it is "news." News is dull and boring, factual information. What the modern media offers is endless commentary intended to rile up and agitate the consumers of it so that they will continue to be interested in the content. All of those channels are the equivalent of wrestling commentator dishing out narratives about angles, and casting politicians as faces and heels. These outlets were built, not on news, because when they actually had that, people immediately turned that bullshit off. The model for them was built 30+ years ago on broadcasting WAR. And when that went away they realized that "news" wasn't going to cut it, so they became crisis TV, and now the current iteration, which is maintaining politics fanboi culture and turning politicians who really only give a fuck about how much they can line their pockets through their positions, into weird ass politics versions of Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:01 pm

And I can assure you that the hedge of 15 years ago or 25 years ago or 50 years ago would've recognized Trump to be way more than just a grifter (I recognized that in the 80's) but an outright crook and a threat to what I believe this country was built on and should stand for. There's always been graft and crookedness of all kinds, but this guy is a whole nother level, way beyond simple grifting (although he does plenty of that too). I don't mind disruption but I never wanted disruption just for disruption's sake. Being an anarchist doesn't mean I was a nihilist, I've always had an idea of what I think should come after disruption, and Trump and everything he does and stands for is manifestly not it. Just the opposite. Trump always conducted himself in an Après moi, le déluge manner. No thanks. And not only no thanks, but fuck that.

I think "the government" (really, the DOJ and other law enforcement branches) are perfectly justified in going after Trump. My only complain is how slowly they've moved and how gently they've treated him. But it appears they've done that to make sure there's a ironclad case against him, and evidently that's fixin to happen. Of course that moron Trump has helped them immensely every step of the way and I'll admit that I get some satisfaction watching a fool dig his own grave, but the main reason I'm happy is b/c the guy is dangerous and I don't want to see this country go down the path that he wants to lead it on. Pretty simple, really...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:02 pm

"so they became crisis TV"

Trump is a crisis. Well, was...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:36 pm

aTm wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:51 pm What's happened is that everyone has been radicalized by mass media algorithms and politics worship culture.

The media, whether Fox, CNN, MSNBC, or even like ESPN, none of it is "news." News is dull and boring, factual information. What the modern media offers is endless commentary intended to rile up and agitate the consumers of it so that they will continue to be interested in the content. All of those channels are the equivalent of wrestling commentator dishing out narratives about angles, and casting politicians as faces and heels. These outlets were built, not on news, because when they actually had that, people immediately turned that bullshit off. The model for them was built 30+ years ago on broadcasting WAR. And when that went away they realized that "news" wasn't going to cut it, so they became crisis TV, and now the current iteration, which is maintaining politics fanboi culture and turning politicians who really only give a fuck about how much they can line their pockets through their positions, into weird ass politics versions of Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.
aTm,

This is exactly what Ann Coulter got into this week in response to CNN firing Chris Licht.

https://anncoulter.com/2023/06/07/cnn-i ... t-scores1/

First, she tells them what the real problem is with news and why people don't watch it
Ann Coulter wrote:Licht and his bosses aren’t idiots. They know what the problem is. Their idea is to move CNN away from doomsday MSNBC-style reporting where “everything is an 11” and appeal to a “broader viewership that crave[s] sober, fact-driven coverage.”

Good idea, right?

But Licht has no idea how to do it, and no one else in the media does either — not The Atlantic, not CNN employees, not The New York Times.

They all seem to believe it’s a binary choice: Either left-wing zealots hysterically announcing BREAKING NEWS about Trump 24-7; or … a one-hour interview with Jill Biden.

Wait — what?

Yes, that was one of Licht’s ideas for raking in the viewers. As the Times explained:

“Since Mr. Licht’s 9 p.m. experiment, ‘CNN Primetime,’ … viewership has fallen below what the network was drawing in the time slot just a few months ago.

“At 9 p.m. on March 8, more Americans watched ‘Homicide Hunter: The Man With No Face’ on the Investigation Discovery cable network than CNN’s exclusive interview with President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine. Two days earlier, an afternoon broadcast of ‘Ancient Aliens’ on the History Channel drew a bigger audience than a 9 p.m. interview with the first lady, Jill Biden.”

Say, does anyone at CNN know any actual human beings? How could a one-hour interview with Jill Biden not be ratings gold?

Why is our only choice Rachel Maddow or Watching Paint Dry?
She even told them what to do (at CNN) in broadcasting news that is NOT so boring that would get people to watch
Ann Coulter wrote:Here are a few good stories that I’ll bet CNN didn’t mention at all, certainly not with the lavish coverage given to Ukraine, a country of absolutely no relevance to any American’s life (until we get into a nuclear exchange with the Russkies, thanks in part to CNN’s warmongering).

At a congressional hearing last month, House members heard from the mother of 20-year-old Kayla Hamilton, who was raped and murdered in Aberdeen, Maryland, last year by an MS-13 member from El Salvador. He entered the United States as an “unaccompanied minor” despite a lengthy criminal history in his home country, which our government never checked.

Also last month, Washington state enacted a law allowing minors to hide out from their parents at private homes and homeless shelters in order to undergo gender transitions.

How about a report on the total destruction of Portland, Oregon, by a “progressive” district attorney? Also San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles. Has CNN aired any stories on skyrocketing crime in America? There are armed robberies and homeless people on Rodeo Drive!

Would anyone be interested in finding out who was funding Jeffrey Epstein or why Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman gave Jared Kushner $2 billion six months after he left the White House?
Those would ALL be rating gold. All of them. People on the right AND the left want to know about this news. Why wont CNN do this stuff? Oh that is right. To report on these things might create a narrative that hurts democrats.

Okay, how about mass shootings? Democrats are okay with news reports on that right? Oh wait.
Ann Coulter wrote:Here’s some “follow the facts” reporting CNN absolutely refuses to do. The network provides breathless bulletins whenever there’s a mass shooting, but as soon as the suspect turns out NOT to be a straight white male, it’s back to Ukraine.

Somewhere in the media right now (probably MSNBC), someone is talking about Dylann Roof, the monster who murdered nine people at a black church in South Carolina. That happened eight years and three presidents ago. But mass shootings this year keep mysteriously disappearing from the news.

January: two mass shootings of Asians in California just days apart, including the deadliest shooting in Los Angeles history. Eighteen killed in all. Gunmen in both cases Chinese immigrants, Huu Can Tran and Chunli Zhao.

The end!

February: Active shooter at Michigan State University kills three students, sends five to hospital. Gunman: Anthony Dwayne McRae, a 43-year-old black man.

The end!

March: mass shooting at a Christian school in Nashville, killing three 9-year-olds and three adults. Gunman: Audrey Elizabeth Hale, a transgender.

The end!

But she left a manifesto!

Media: Go away. We’re not interested.

April: horrific shooting at a 16-year-old’s birthday party in Dadeville, Alabama, leaving four dead — three of them teenagers — and wounding 32 others. Arrested: Johnny Letron Brown, Willie George Brown Jr., Wilson LaMar Hill, Travis McCullough and Tyreese McCullough.

The end!

Last day of April: slaughter of five family members, including a 9-year-old boy, all shot execution-style, in Texas. Arrested: an illegal from Mexico.

The end!
aTm, news that isn't boring, news that is interesting, ratings gold news, might be non-starters for CNN because to discuss it, will inform people of what is really going on out there. And those facts, the actual real news might hurt the DNC and their candidates.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:41 pm

You and that closeted tranny are a match made in hell. You two fucksticks deserve each other.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:04 pm

LOL at citing Ann Coulter as an advocate of non-crisis news...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:37 pm

I’d like to point out to any Federal or other police presence and our new cultural overlords, that DS’s positions on “closeted trannys” do not represent the views of this website or necessarily the collective views of its participants. Thank you.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:50 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:41 pm You and that closeted tranny are a match made in hell. You two fucksticks deserve each other.
What was that class you took in law school, the one where if you KNOW you are taking on someone who is smarter than you are (and I am smarter than you), a smarter person who only uses facts and reason to plead his side of the case, you have to attack your opponent in a PERSONAL manner, because you can't get the jury on your side if you don't? What was that, how to be a non-stop-asshole-as-a-lawyer-101?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:51 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:04 pm LOL at citing Ann Coulter as an advocate of non-crisis news...
did you even read her article? It completely relevant this this discussion.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:59 pm

aTm wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:51 pm What's happened is that everyone has been radicalized by mass media algorithms and politics worship culture.

That's true, but there is a critical difference you're missing brah. In the old days you had one party that gave a shit about making small needed changes for the people (Dems), and one that only gave a shit about keeping things the same so the rich could get richer (the Repubs). Now there's one party that wants to keep things the same so the rich can still get richer but the middle and poor go down the toilet at a slow steady rate (the Dems), and one party that just wants to take us to immediate fuedalism where a few hundred peeps have almost all of the disposable income, a small managerial class enforces that, and maybe 90% of the country are in poverty with no real healthcare, spendin money, retirement, etc. The respective media outlets differ accordingly.
Butt juice