Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:43 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 am DS. In all that, which was interesting, you never said what you want. Selfless.
Heh. I want a return to the way things were 25+ years ago, but in terms of now, I want the ACC to be viable. It isn’t though. So, I think the SEC would be best in terms of finances and rivalries, but I think we are going to end up in the B10 and be completely irrelevant in football.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:07 am

I'm pulling for the SEC too. With college basketball being so fucked up today in the end Football will always be King. Getting UNC into the SEC is a much better option long term.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 am

Basketball would be great for UNC in the SEC. Put UK in one division, UNC in the other and that game would replace the Duke/UNC conference rivalry. Of course Duke and UNC will still play once a year OOC. Also UNC and USC would be a big conference rivalry as well.

But UNC football in the SEC would be slaughtered. Its a murderers row already without TX and OK.

They would have better balance for both programs in the Big 10. I'd want them in the SEC though
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 am

I think UNC could join in 2-3 years and already be competitive with the likes of UK and UT. Short term I agree the Big 10 is probably better but long term the SEC is a no brainer. Better quality football and basketball. Baseball is pretty damn good too.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:30 am

Might as well get everybody on this board into the SEC. Well, except Boston College.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:31 am

so much for that 2034 revenue sharing agreement

Twitter....
ACC source telling me this morning that the school they work for has exhaustively ran the numbers and when compared to the windfall of SEC or B1G tv money the financial risk is outweighed by the future reward. And that’s before a likely settlement to reduce the impact.

Basically they sound like they are ready to blow up the ACC and challenge any agreements in court

I think Maryland essentially told the ACC they weren't going to play that game either and negotiated a lower penalty/exit fee
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:08 am

I'm hearing that the Big 10 is not interested in pursuing Washington and Oregon which is surprising since they are decent markets and are AAU schools. Also, would be nice to have more West coast teams to make a division.

Notre Dame probably does not have as big exit fee as other ACC schools so they can probably join rather easily.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:27 am

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-consi ... /20362957/ (video of the interview in the link)

UNC considered move to SEC or Big Ten in early 2010s, former chancellor says
By Brian Murphy, WRAL sports investigative reporter

North Carolina considered leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference for the Big Ten or the Southeastern Conference early in the 2010s, former UNC chancellor Holden Thorp said Wednesday.

Conversations at the presidential level occurred, Thorp said, during the time when Big 12 members Texas and Oklahoma were considering a move to the Pac-12, which was seeking to add up to six teams. The move would have set off widespread expansion. Ultimately, Texas and Oklahoma remained in the Big 12 and the Pac-12 added Colorado and Utah.

"We are pretty sure we could have gone to the SEC if we wanted to," Thorp said. "... I feel OK saying Carolina could have gone to the SEC if we wanted to, yes."

Thorp made the comments on 99.9 The Fan's "The OG" with Joe Ovies and Joe Giglio.

Top Videos View More The case for Duke's Paolo Banchero to go No. 1 overallin the NBA Draft :: WRALSportsFan.com The case for Duke's Paolo Banchero to go No. 1 overall in the NBA Draft
Thorp said he didn't have discussions with the commissioners of the SEC or Big Ten, but did have discussions with presidents in those leagues. When Texas and Oklahoma opted to stay, Thorp said those discussions largely stopped. He said around that time the ACC began discussion a grant of rights agreement to secure the conference. Maryland, which would leave for the Big Ten shortly, did not want to sign. The ACC members finally agreed to a grant of rights agreement in 2013 after Maryland's exit.

Throp signed that agreement in 2013. The ACC extended its grant of rights in 2016 and it now runs through 2036.

"If you want to see the ACC survive, that's a very important factor that might make it happen,'" Thorp said.

The SEC and Big Ten have emerged from the period of realignment as the most powerful and richest college football leagues. Texas and Oklahoma announced last year that they would move to the SEC, setting off a huge round of realignment. USC and UCLA announced last week that they are moving to the Big Ten, again fueling speculation that conferences, including the ACC, will be torn apart.

North Carolina is among the ACC schools with the most options. Thorp said there are practical concerns that must be dealt with if UNC decides to change conferences.

"For UNC to go without NC State would be a political mess because there is so much rivalry among those two schools in the Board of Governors and there's so much politics that goes on that for one of them to get the big payday from one of the big conferences and not the other would be politically very challenging," Thorp said. "I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but that's certainly something you prefer not to deal with if you're the chancellor."

"The other thing is you don't want to break up Carolina and Duke. If Carolina goes to one of these conferences and Duke doesn't and you're talking about a Duke-Carolina (basketball) game over New Year's or something like that, you know that it wouldn't be the greatest rivalry in sports," Thorp said. "That would be the end of it. In my view, these are both things you'd rather not have to deal with."

In the end, he didn't have to deal with either one.

"When Texas and Oklahoma decided to stay, we decided that the best thing for us to do was to try to make the ACC as strong as we can make it," Thorp said.

Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest are charter members of the ACC, which was formed in 1953 in Greensboro. They were members of the Southern Conference together before that.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 am

The SEC would tell little ass Duke to go fuck themselves

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:36 am

eCat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:31 am The SEC would tell little ass Duke to go fuck themselves
Per many sources, the SEC didn't back in the early 2010's, quite the opposite actually...

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:39 am

eCat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:31 am so much for that 2034 revenue sharing agreement

Twitter....
ACC source telling me this morning that the school they work for has exhaustively ran the numbers and when compared to the windfall of SEC or B1G tv money the financial risk is outweighed by the future reward. And that’s before a likely settlement to reduce the impact.

Basically they sound like they are ready to blow up the ACC and challenge any agreements in court

I think Maryland essentially told the ACC they weren't going to play that game either and negotiated a lower penalty/exit fee
Yeah, that rumor has been circulating the past 24-36 hours coupled with some legal analysis regarding the enforceability of the GOR.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:45 am

Hopefully all of this is a precursor to a break up the country as a whole. And I hate to break it to you, but the west coast and northeast are the SEC and the rest of the country is the Sun Belt. Mexico can have Texas. Florida can go fuck itself...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:21 pm

The rumor circulating in the SEC is North Carolina, Virginia, Florida State, and Clemson to the SEC which is basically finishing off the pipe dream 6 teams from the post 2012 possibility of expansion for the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma.

Is it realistic for UNC to leave behind State at all? It doesnt seem UNC types are confident of that.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:49 pm

aTm wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:21 pm The rumor circulating in the SEC is North Carolina, Virginia, Florida State, and Clemson to the SEC which is basically finishing off the pipe dream 6 teams from the post 2012 possibility of expansion for the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma.

Is it realistic for UNC to leave behind State at all? It doesnt seem UNC types are confident of that.
The guy posting that is a swim blogger.

WRT to that trade school, see long post from this morning. The GOP and its dipshit minions on the BOG are going to fuck this up.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
Barstool was only about 10-12 hours behind on that rumor. The guy who started/shared it runs a blog about college swimming. This was not a legitimate source.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 am

Barstool or the guy who started it because it's been mentioned more than just there.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:36 am

Kentucky's AD, Mitch Barnhart has taken on a Pollyanna idea that UK's approach to the NIL, mostly a post recruitment endorsement package is the "right" way to run an athletics program

and essentially its eating our lunch in recruiting.

Recently Barnhart has been called out in the media, and many believe its the UK football coaching staff that is using the media to turn public sentiment against the AD.

He has been silent on it, meanwhile Mark Stoops has gone on the record saying this

Mark Stoops wants Kentucky’s NIL message to be heard loud and clear. The UK Athletics program needs your help. If you were already setting some money aside for the university, earmark some of that to Kentucky’s NIL efforts.

“Are we positioned where we need to be? No, no, we’re not. There are people in town here that are doing things with pre-funded endorsement marketing dollars that need to come from businesses,” said Stoops.

“I’ve kind of poked around it and different media sessions and things of that nature, but we do need people to step up. They do need to understand — this is the second time I’ve gone on record saying that — it is legal for them to step up and pay some of the people in town here, or I should say, pay out an expense from their business. You can set aside future marketing deals to a fund, to a ledger to people to put that aside and use that in the future for marketing.”

“We are behind,” Stoops reiterated at the end of the interview. “I’ll step up and say that yes, we are behind and yes, we need money. And we need to set aside pre-marketing dollars for the future of the football program and all of our sports.”

----------------

This is exactly the message I have been scared to hear as it relates to the NIL

He is coming out and telling donors to take money they would have normally earmarked for the school , essentially to help *all* students and put that money into a marketing fund to give solely to athletes. I don't blame him, its what he has to do to be competitive, but at the end of the day, a football player will get a new corvette as opposed to a kid from Pikeville getting an engineering scholarship.

I think that is where the messaging is flawed in this idea that the players make all this revenue for the University. They money they are getting isn't coming from that revenue. Its coming from finite resources in the community that are now choosing between sports and general fund

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:02 am

Cal will set Stoops straight. UK is a basketball school.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:47 am

Surely basketball will continue operating as normal, with high profile players openly receiving endorsements (esp from the shoe companies) and having agents rather than secretly doing so.