Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 pm

"Yet another finding that contradicted conventional wisdom relates to National Public Radio, often cited by conservatives as an egregious example of a liberal news outlet. But according to the UCLA-University of Missouri study, it ranked eighth most liberal of the 20 that the study examined.

"By our estimate, NPR hardly differs from the average mainstream news outlet," Groseclose said. "Its score is approximately equal to those of Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report and its score is slightly more conservative than The Washington Post's. If anything, government‑funded outlets in our sample have a slightly lower average ADA score (61), than the private outlets in our sample (62.8)."
THE OG SSG

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 pm

IMHO FOX is a tad less left than all the others.
Let 'er Blow!

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm

You really need to read that article. That article itself even said that EVERY SINGLE OUTLET was left of center with the exception of Fox.

It also said that "five were in a statistical dead heat" as to the most centrist. I would bet if you looked at their raw data then it would show Fox as the one that was actually the closest.

I have actually seen the raw data, but it has been a while ago and as I said before the closest two were a Fox and CNN news program with the Fox one being the most centrist. I didn't run statistical analysis on it to see if statistically they were tied. Could be, but I don't know for sure it's the same data in this article as in the study I read.

The one I read graded them on where their sources came from and if they had counter interviews with the opposite side and it came up with a score.

This could be talking about the same one, maybe not.

But in no way is it accurate to claim that article means you need to watch two liberal shows to equal one Fox show. That's just you making crap up again. That article actually said "statistical dead heat".

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm

"Groseclose and Milyo based their research on a standard gauge of a lawmaker's support for liberal causes. Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) tracks the percentage of times that each lawmaker votes on the liberal side of an issue. Based on these votes, the ADA assigns a numerical score to each lawmaker, where "100" is the most liberal and "0" is the most conservative. After adjustments to compensate for disproportionate representation that the Senate gives to low‑population states and the lack of representation for the District of Columbia, the average ADA score in Congress (50.1) was assumed to represent the political position of the average U.S. voter.

Groseclose and Milyo then directed 21 research assistants — most of them college students — to scour U.S. media coverage of the past 10 years. They tallied the number of times each media outlet referred to think tanks and policy groups, such as the left-leaning NAACP or the right-leaning Heritage Foundation."

Not saying its not a valid way to measure, but that seems a very odd way to do it. How many times the media makes reference to a think tank/policy group that has a known political bias? I mean, couldn't they be referring to the NAACP as in "The NAACP bitched about some shit today. Stupid negroes." Then that counts as on the liberal bias side? Hopefully they had a way to sort a mention of a group out from when they more or less forwarded a message from said group. The article didn't seem to be clear on that. And I don't care to read the original research. So if you want to believe they separated shit out right, feel free.
THE OG SSG

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm

TheBigMook wrote:"Yet another finding that contradicted conventional wisdom relates to National Public Radio, often cited by conservatives as an egregious example of a liberal news outlet. But according to the UCLA-University of Missouri study, it ranked eighth most liberal of the 20 that the study examined.

"By our estimate, NPR hardly differs from the average mainstream news outlet," Groseclose said. "Its score is approximately equal to those of Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report and its score is slightly more conservative than The Washington Post's. If anything, government‑funded outlets in our sample have a slightly lower average ADA score (61), than the private outlets in our sample (62.8)."

Again, the average MSM outlet is way to the left so even though NPR "hardly differs" it is still extremely left wing.

You also have to remember this was the enemy of conservatives doing this study and they still had to admit every outlet was left wing except Fox. Every single one.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 pm

You keep saying Fox is most centrist when it clearly says it wasn't. I mean, there is being obtuse, and then there is just sticking your proverbial fingers in your ears and yelling "I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening!"
THE OG SSG

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 pm

They never said left wing. But keep lieing. It suits you.
THE OG SSG

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by GBJs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm

TheBigMook wrote:You keep saying Fox is most centrist when it clearly says it wasn't. I mean, there is being obtuse, and then there is just sticking your proverbial fingers in your ears and yelling "I'm not listening! I'm not listening! I'm not listening!"
Which one are you doing?
Worth. Every. Cent.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Mook, that article leaves alot out.

The data also included who they had on as guests or experts and if they gave equal time to the other side. That is if it really is the same one that I saw the research on a while back.

It most likely is as the rest of it is very similar if not identical and the one I saw was UCLA (didn't remember minnesota or whatever).

There was also a bar graph with each outlet on it too.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Mook read the article. They said they were " in a statisical dead heat" as the most centrist. That's saying they are the most centrist.

They aslo said every single MSM outlet EXCEPT FOX was left of the average voter.

That's left wing in my book.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Posting direct quotes that are opposite of what BOJ keeps saying. I have not once argued about there being a liberal media bias. I have taken issue with the blatant lies about the report somehow saying that Fox News is centrist, etc.
THE OG SSG

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Big Orange Junky wrote:Mook read the article. They said they were " in a statisical dead heat" as the most centrist. That's saying they are the most centrist.

They aslo said every single MSM outlet EXCEPT FOX was left of the average voter.

That's left wing in my book.

Another lie by BOJ, give that man a cigar!

"Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter."

Just keep digging, just keep digging
THE OG SSG

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Big Orange Junky wrote:Mook, that article leaves alot out.

The data also included who they had on as guests or experts and if they gave equal time to the other side. That is if it really is the same one that I saw the research on a while back.

It most likely is as the rest of it is very similar if not identical and the one I saw was UCLA (didn't remember minnesota or whatever).

There was also a bar graph with each outlet on it too.
Ha, Fox Newscorp version of equal time is to bring on the other side and just keep yelling at them that they are pinheads then cutting their mic if they take offense.
THE OG SSG

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm

"Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.

Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter."

"Five news outlets — "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer," ABC's "Good Morning America," CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown," Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and the Drudge Report — were in a statistical dead heat in the race for the most centrist news outlet. Of the print media, USA Today was the most centrist."

Are you just that freakin stupid???

There are the quotes. Try reading your own article.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 pm

You are the one that said Fox news was the only right leaning media. Then you see where it says the Washington Times was right leaning too. Then you AGAIN said only Fox news. Change the subject if you like, but you lie like a dog.
THE OG SSG

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Fox. Heh.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

In that article the authors appear to break the "statistical dead heat" and giving the nod to someone based on who moderated the presidential debates.

That's a real unbiased way to break the "statistical dead heat", whoever the liberals like the most is the least biased. Yeah right.

If its the same research they are talking about then they have the data in a bar graph with scores and it's that one that gives away that while it may have been a "statistical dead heat" as the authors of this article claim Fox was the one with the most centrist score.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 pm

"The fourth most centrist outlet was "Special Report With Brit Hume" on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet. While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC's "World News Tonight" and NBC's "Nightly News" to be left of center. All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found."

Yep, that means it must be most centrist. unhunh. New math!
THE OG SSG

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 pm

Umm we were talking about networks. I didn't mention print. They did but that wasn't the topic of our conversation otherwise we would have been talking about them as well as CNN, NBC, CBS, Fox etc.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

You were talking about mainstream media. Quit lying.
THE OG SSG