Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:12 am

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 am

sardis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:45 am Remember when liberals argued that Twitter and Facebook are private companies and should be able to do whatever and censor whoever they want?
Your fever dreams of "censoring" libs notwithstanding, Musk would never do that. Yeah, he might let Trump back on, which of course would be a great business decision in terms of daily traffic, but he wouldn't start banning libs. But really, it wouldn't bother me whatsoever if Twitter just disappeared. I'm not saying I want that or that it would be good if it happened, just saying that it would have zero effect on my life if it did, and I suspect that's true of the vast majority of people. Never has a company been so appropriately named: Twitter. That sums up the vast majority of what takes place on there...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:19 am

"China now has the fastest aging population on the planet"

And people wonder why they aren't pushing covid vaccination over there...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 am

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:08 am

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am I've been watching some videos lately from a guy named Peter Zeihan.

Guy has some very interesting worldwide views..

One that caught my attention is how China has permanently fucked itself out of being a world power in 50 years.

Its pretty simple to understand. Because of their 1 child rule , going on for about 35 years, China now has the fastest aging population on the planet, and because of their sheer size by population, coupled with the realty that modern capitalism has created a working class that understands they cannot prosper financially with a large family, they are faced with a population that will be dying faster than they can replace it. It also doesn't help that male children were preferred over females at birth and there is a sex imbalance in the numbers there as well.

By China's own admission they will reach a critical juncture by the year 2100 which is half of their highest population, however China has recently admitted they overestimated the population of their child bearing age citizens by almost 100m, which would drop that to the year 2070. Based on their numbers, by some calculations of China demographers, China reached their peak population 15 years ago - which could mean that China will hit that point in 2050. China by their own admission peaked 2 years ago.

If you're bored you should check out his GeoPop channel.

China has some major challenges - labor cost is rising, they are no longer the low cost producer and they have a workforce that is aging out for such an extended time they can't maintain being an economic global superpower.
India will start the same soon, not because of a one child policy, but because the more affluent a society gets the less they have children.

Nigeria will have a billion people soon. The United States would be smart in investing in the Western African region because it could be a powerful ally in the future if run correctly. If not, China will fill that void and take over.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 am

hedge wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 am
sardis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:45 am Remember when liberals argued that Twitter and Facebook are private companies and should be able to do whatever and censor whoever they want?
Your fever dreams of "censoring" libs notwithstanding, Musk would never do that. Yeah, he might let Trump back on, which of course would be a great business decision in terms of daily traffic, but he wouldn't start banning libs. But really, it wouldn't bother me whatsoever if Twitter just disappeared. I'm not saying I want that or that it would be good if it happened, just saying that it would have zero effect on my life if it did, and I suspect that's true of the vast majority of people. Never has a company been so appropriately named: Twitter. That sums up the vast majority of what takes place on there...
I know he won't censor left lunacy, and he shouldn't, but he'll definitely censor anything that makes him look bad.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:34 am

China has already made inroads to Africa literally

For years they have been making deals with Africa to mine precious minerals in return for creating the infrastructure needs - roads, schools , bridges, water treatment , etc

Its a big reason why China is the worlds leader in lithium batteries .
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:36 am

Yep. Good. Glad to see the market is working. I am glad to see Musk putting money where his mouth is.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 am

sardis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:08 am
eCat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:09 am I've been watching some videos lately from a guy named Peter Zeihan.

Guy has some very interesting worldwide views..

One that caught my attention is how China has permanently fucked itself out of being a world power in 50 years.

Its pretty simple to understand. Because of their 1 child rule , going on for about 35 years, China now has the fastest aging population on the planet, and because of their sheer size by population, coupled with the realty that modern capitalism has created a working class that understands they cannot prosper financially with a large family, they are faced with a population that will be dying faster than they can replace it. It also doesn't help that male children were preferred over females at birth and there is a sex imbalance in the numbers there as well.

By China's own admission they will reach a critical juncture by the year 2100 which is half of their highest population, however China has recently admitted they overestimated the population of their child bearing age citizens by almost 100m, which would drop that to the year 2070. Based on their numbers, by some calculations of China demographers, China reached their peak population 15 years ago - which could mean that China will hit that point in 2050. China by their own admission peaked 2 years ago.

If you're bored you should check out his GeoPop channel.

China has some major challenges - labor cost is rising, they are no longer the low cost producer and they have a workforce that is aging out for such an extended time they can't maintain being an economic global superpower.
India will start the same soon, not because of a one child policy, but because the more affluent a society gets the less they have children.

Nigeria will have a billion people soon. The United States would be smart in investing in the Western African region because it could be a powerful ally in the future if run correctly. If not, China will fill that void and take over.
We have been in Africa for 20+ years. it's not as advertised, but we are in a daily fight with the Chinese for influence and power.

The Chinese are overplaying their hand by being heavy handed, but the Chinese get a lot of play because they are putting so much money into Africa.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:42 am

See what Bezos did when he bought the Washington Post

still I think its a great thing Musk is trying to buy it. I just love the idea of all those woke liberals losing their shit at the idea they are going to have to let conservatives tweet about how fucked up everything is
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:47 am

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:34 am China has already made inroads to Africa literally

For years they have been making deals with Africa to mine precious minerals in return for creating the infrastructure needs - roads, schools , bridges, water treatment , etc

Its a big reason why China is the worlds leader in lithium batteries .
A close friend is a medically retired major who was in third group (SF group assigned to Africa), and he was over there several months every year for several years. He dealt with the Chinese effect (and Chinese spies trying to honey pot him and his men) all of the time.

He also said that the Chinese are engaging in far more espionage than the Russians ever dreamed of engaging in over here. The FBI guys his group trained every year (for the FBI's version of SWAT) talked about how NC is crawling with Chinese spies. With Camp Lejune (largest Marine base on east coast and home to Marine Expeditionary units), Fort Bragg (largest US Army installation in the world), an Air Force base (Seymour) and all of Lejune's surrounding satellite bases, that makes sense, but RTP is also crawling with Chinese spies. They are duplicating research in China days after it is conducted here. It's The Americans (FX Show) come to life but with Chinese folks instead of Russians. They come over here, live normal lives then start their work.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm

I think that mentality is one reason the Chinese will never be the world leader.

They don't innovate, they replicate

stealing or copying new innovation is what drives their economy.

consequently its why we get shit so cheap though.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:01 pm

You'll know Washington is scared about freeing up censorship on Twitter when the "all cars must be electric in the next X years" federal government suddenly changes its tune to "Whoa, whoa, whoa...thats a nice electric car manufacturer you have here, be a shame if something happened to it..."
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:05 pm

Elon Musk = Tucker

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm

Nobody cares about right wing nutjobs posting on twitter. It's entertaining. Even Trump is entertaining on there. Repubs get their panties in a bunch over the dumbest of things.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:30 pm

eCat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm I think that mentality is one reason the Chinese will never be the world leader.

They don't innovate, they replicate

stealing or copying new innovation is what drives their economy.

consequently its why we get shit so cheap though.
That is part of it, but the real reason China and Russia will never be world leaders in the same mold as the United States is much simpler than that, imho. Those two nations are authoritarian. Their leaders are accustomed to obtaining power through rather ruthless means. While statecraft often involves threats / aggression, I believe the United States is more adept at being a world leader because not only do we have the economic and military might needed to be the world's leader, our leaders rise to power by building alliances and coalitions via elective politics, and this skillset is what one needs to be an effective leader on the world stage apart from he obvious military and economic needs.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:32 pm

Trucking companies are now moving towards Arizona to help fight the economic sabotage Abbott is doing to the country. But hey, let's ship Pedro to Washington. Morons.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:10 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:32 pm Trucking companies are now moving towards Arizona to help fight the economic sabotage Abbott is doing to the country. But hey, let's ship Pedro to Washington. Morons.
I don't think Ducey is likely to pull the same shit Abbott is pulling, but who knows?

Bigger question, why are we so anxious to buy cheap crap manufactured in Mexico?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:53 pm

Because Americans love cheap crap...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 pm

He's an idiot.