Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:00 am

Becoming non-reliant on fossil fuels does, though. Green new deal!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:05 am

yea, that will be cheap
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:31 am

...and not enough.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:06 am

Russia seems to be relying on the idea that they go in, take control of the entire country in swift fashion, and then the populace mostly accepts the reinstatement of Russian controlled government, and the whole thing calms down and the Ukrainians accept "security and peace" going forward. (You might call this the 'Iraq plan').

I don't know if they are really planning on committing enough troops to occupy a hostile populace, once they 'win' vs the Ukraine regular army, assuming they do go on and do that. If I was them, I'd be pretty skeptical. This is a country where the government that Putin wants was just forced to flee the country less than a decade ago. If Ukraine actually planned for this invasion, and presumably they have since the war's already been going on for 8 years, they probably wouldn't even really plan to fight the Russians with ships and air forces and artillery, but they would just hide partisans and hidden weapons caches in every major city and put the hurt on the Russians and collaborator governments and police forces after the war was "over." I don't see a real way Russia can win against a Ukrainian populace that says "fuck Russia." There are also A LOT (like almost all of them) of eastern European countries and ethnic groups who have the general opinion of "fuck Russians" and they will almost certainly be helping Ukrainian partisans any way they can get away with. Ukraine is like 10-20 times the population size of Chechnya or Georgia.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:10 am

Maybe Russia can take down the whole country and just get Ukraine to concede territory or whatever and let the Ukrainians think they won something in the end, but Russia was well on their way to annexing the most pro Russian parts of Ukraine without this invasion anyway.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 am

reading a russian twitter feed, it doesn't appear there is much resistance

stories of Ukranian military either crossing over to join Russia or giving up, and what fighting is going on , they are overwhelmed with the Russian air force taking out their ground structures and equipment.

Russia only appears to be targeting key military targets and leaving civilians alone
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:16 am

the Russian Black Sea Fleet was based at Odessa before the fall of the Soviet empire, and after Minsk agreement they were kicked out and the fleet neutralized without an ice free port. Hence the value of Russian leaning Crimea, giving him Sevastopol as a fleet base. But that isn't really defensible given the surrounding geography. At the same time, as you said there is no shortage of Russian hating ex-satellite countries that Nato is only too happy to cater to and irritate Russia with threats to their expansion.

My guess is once he gets the land mass he needs to feel Sevastopol can be secure and easiliy defended, then he has no more interest in a Ukranian invasion. If NATO stays out then everything stabilizes and I can keep driving my 13mpg truck.

But what do I know - I'm just a transplanted redneck in Ohio

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:20 am

"they would just hide partisans and hidden weapons caches in every major city and put the hurt on the Russians and collaborator governments and police forces after the war was "over.""

So basically a Vichy Ukraine? Where's Petain (D'gaul) when you need him?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:22 am

I think more Ukrainians now see their own government as corrupt and nondemocratic. Maybe it's not something they have the fire to fight for anymore.

Because I'm not seeing much resistance to Russian forces. Just like we saw the Afghan army not putting up much of a fight in the summer. I guess over the last 8 years, Russia has won the propaganda war in Ukraine.
Last edited by sardis on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:22 am

we already knew this, but no US troops will be sent to Ukraine

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:23 am

I saw where Finland was like "we plan on joining NATO if there's a threat to our security"

Fuck you Finland, we are all committed to defending each other, you're saying, "Oh no, we're not interested in helping you fight like if someone attacks Turkey tomorrow, but by gawd we're gonna ask for your help as soon as someone threatens us next week"

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:50 am

A. Can't we just put a bullet in Putins head and
B. Pull your stocks out for a few weeks if you haven't already.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:57 am

"we already knew this, but no US troops will be sent to Ukraine"

Well, some of us knew that...

Ingraham at one point mentioned a report she heard about Russian troops making an amphibious landing at Odessa. But the former president thought she was talking about American troops making a landing in Ukraine to fight Russians, and started criticizing the military for not maintaining better operational secrecy.

"You know what’s also very dangerous is you told me about the amphibious attack by Americans. You shouldn't be saying that, because you and everybody else shouldn’t know about,” Trump said. “They should do that secretly, not be doing that through the great Laura Ingraham.”

Ingraham corrected him.

“No, those are the Russians,” she said.

“Oh, I thought you said that we were sending people in,” he said. “That’ll be next.”

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:59 am

Fox would be doing Trump a favor if they stopped interviewing him

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:05 pm

In 2008, Russia approached the Chicoms about dumping US bonds to destabilize the US further. The Chicoms rejected the idea.

Today, the Chicoms are led by a much more aggressive leadership structure, and Xi has made no bones about expansionist aims.

Russia and China are now in tune together instead of being at adds as they were for much of the past sixty years.

I am worried that Russia and Chicoms are acting in concert with Russia taking on Ukraine to draw attention and that Chicoms will make some sort of move on Taiwan (I don't know if the PRC has the amphibious landing and logistics capabilities to take Taiwan because reports make it sound as if that component is sorely lacking in the PLA) short of full blown invasion but of a sort that could lead to massive destabilization.

Afterwards, when the world economy is going haywire, both could then dump those bonds in an effort to destabilize the dollar to such a point that it is no longer the world's main currency.

Yes, both would endure massive economic issues, but it could be worth it to both in the long term. If China overtakes the US economically and becomes the dominant foreign economic power in Western Europe, Russia would see that the American menace was far less severe and thus allow the Russians to engage in more expansionist / power play politics because of the dependence on Russian energy. At the same time, the Chicoms would be the world's leading economic power and would be happy to use its bully position to force the world to kowtow to its bullshit.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:07 pm

"Fox would be doing Trump a favor if they stopped interviewing him"

I was about to say it would certainly be doing me a favor, but at this point Trump is basically a comedy routine, so let him talk...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:32 pm

The replies to the tweet were funny and accurate

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:12 pm

latest

all jokes and personal shit aside, this has me gravely concerned
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:42 pm

I wish you were in the grave...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:47 pm

2nd