College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:02 am

For IB:

Jean-Luc Brunel, held on suspicion of supplying girls to Epstein, found hanged

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... und-hanged
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:57 am

Ghislaine better stay awake

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:48 am

Trump will find her

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:11 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:09 pm

I just watched a documentary about Boeing and the 737-Max

I don't have any reason to believe that what is in the documentary isn't true

and Boeing should never be allowed to build another plane. They make Ford and the Pinto actuaries look like saints
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:11 am

hedge wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:02 am For IB:

Jean-Luc Brunel, held on suspicion of supplying girls to Epstein, found hanged

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... und-hanged
Saw that. We were talking about that on another forum.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:12 am

eCat wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:09 pm I just watched a documentary about Boeing and the 737-Max

and Boeing should never be allowed to build another plane. They make Ford and the Pinto actuaries look like saints
Watched this tonight. That was horrible, made me sick. Excellent docu-drama but still, made me sick.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:13 am

Justified beatdown or assault and battery?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 am

there are some who believe that violence is justified over someone saying words, in particular that word

its assault and there is no justification for it, even at Applebees
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:34 am

One in three adults in the United States has been arrested at least once, a strikingly high number compared with many other countries. Now, a new study reveals one of the implications of that figure: Nearly half of unemployed U.S. men have a criminal conviction by age 35, which makes it harder to get a job, according to an analysis of survey data.

The findings suggest having a criminal justice history is pushing many men to the sidelines of the job market, says sociologist Sarah Esther Lageson of Rutgers University, Newark, who was not involved in the study. “I’m not sure that many people understand just how prevalent an arrest is,” she says. “It really shows up [that unemployment] is actually a mass criminalization problem. … Because arrests are so common, they shouldn’t be considered in an employment context at all,” she says.

The work began when Amy Solomon, then head of the Federal Interagency Reentry Council, was leading U.S. efforts to help former prisoners re-enter society. She knew previous research had shown having a criminal record—from arrest to conviction to incarceration—makes it harder to get a job. Employers may hesitate to hire applicants with a criminal record for fear they will reoffend, or for potential negligent hire lawsuits. But Solomon couldn’t figure out just how many of the unemployed had criminal records. She turned to Shawn Bushway, an economist and criminologist at RAND Corporation with a track record of finding answers to hard questions about statistics in criminal justice. “No one in criminology [had ever] asked … that question,” he says.

Because the justice system in the United States is highly fragmented, there’s no centralized repository of criminal history records. “[The data] is public by law, yet it is extraordinarily difficult to collect,” says Michael Romano, a criminal law researcher at Stanford Law School who was not involved in the new study.

So Bushway turned to another source: data from the U.S. Department of Labor. Starting in 1997, statisticians with the department conducted the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth. For more than 2 decades, they have periodically interviewed 8984 people born between 1980 and 1984, asking questions about education, income, employment status, and criminal histories. Bushway had used the survey once before—to come up with the estimate of how many U.S. adults had ever been arrested.

Because far fewer women are arrested than men, Bushway and his colleagues focused on unemployed men. Of the men who responded to the survey at age 35, 5.8% were unemployed, which the researchers defined as being without a job for at least four consecutive weeks, but fewer than 39 weeks. Of these men, 64% had been arrested at least once and slightly more than 46% had a conviction, the team reported yesterday at the annual meeting of AAAS (which publishes Science) and online today in Science Advances.

“It’s pretty staggering,” Romano says. “I would not have guessed that such a high number of people who are unemployed have a criminal background … it’s really eye-opening.”

The researchers also wanted to know whether people of color were dis-proportionally impacted by both unemployment and a criminal record. Among survey respondents, Black and Hispanic men were 1.4 times more likely to be arrested than white men, and were 1.8 and 1.2 times more likely to be unemployed, respectively. But what the researchers found surprised them: Although more Black and Hispanic survey participants were unemployed and had a criminal record than their white counterparts, the proportion of the unemployed Black men with criminal records was similar to that of unemployed white men with criminal records. Among the unemployed, 67% of Black men, 58% of Hispanic men, and 65% of white men had been arrested by age 35.

-----------------
There should be a discussion about race in terms of what leads to a criminal conviction, but this pretty much concludes there is little racism post conviction - in general, people with criminal records in general, regardless of race, will have difficulty finding meaningful employment. 1 in 3 adults...holy hell

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:04 am

eCat wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:09 pm I just watched a documentary about Boeing and the 737-Max

If you want to get caught up in a documentary rabbit hole, www.curiositystream.com is a Netflix of documentaries. $20 a year membership

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 am

eCat wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:20 am there are some who believe that violence is justified over someone saying words, in particular that word

its assault and there is no justification for it, even at Applebees
What if the guy had said "Man, this food is great!" Wouldn't that justify a slapdown?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 am

also acceptable - "finally we have a nice place to eat in this town"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am

"in general, people with criminal records in general, regardless of race, will have difficulty finding meaningful employment. 1 in 3 adults...holy hell"

I would guess that at least half of those criminal records are drug related. Easy problem to fix, but damn it, eCat is tired of his car radio being stolen (does that really even happen anymore)?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:19 am

I did appreciate how you said "even at Applebee's" when you said it was unacceptable...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:29 am

hedge wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:13 am Justified beatdown or assault and battery?

I'd allow for a quick strike in that situation

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:36 am

hedge wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am "in general, people with criminal records in general, regardless of race, will have difficulty finding meaningful employment. 1 in 3 adults...holy hell"

I would guess that at least half of those criminal records are drug related. Easy problem to fix, but damn it, eCat is tired of his car radio being stolen (does that really even happen anymore)?
my tool box was stolen from my truck last week - it was at the mechanics garage though, not my driveway

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:52 am

Damn junkies!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 pm

This is why not...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:33 pm

I think there are two things going on here and they shouldn't be bundled.
eCat wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:34 am One in three adults in the United States has been arrested at least once, a strikingly high number compared with many other countries. Now, a new study reveals one of the implications of that figure: Nearly half of unemployed U.S. men have a criminal conviction by age 35, which makes it harder to get a job, according to an analysis of survey data.
This is thing number one and this is just feminism. One in three adults in the United States is arrested and what they really should have said is MORE than one in three adult MEN have been arrested because a woman made a domestic violence call. And the cops come and arrest him immediately. Now the majority of these cases (like 75%) they just let the guy go in the morning because there was no actual evidence of him doing anything to her. The cops showed up, she is not bruised or bloody, but she says he attacked her. Maybe he came home and found her fucking some other guy? (Likely.) She still calls the cops and gets HIM arrested. Its her word against his (with no physical evidence), and the judge just lets him go (no criminal record.) That is what happened. But the men are still arrested. This is compelled by the feminist imperative.

This is one thing, its just feminism.
eCat wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:34 am The findings suggest having a criminal justice history is pushing many men to the sidelines of the job market, says sociologist Sarah Esther Lageson of Rutgers University, Newark, who was not involved in the study. “I’m not sure that many people understand just how prevalent an arrest is,” she says. “It really shows up [that unemployment] is actually a mass criminalization problem. … Because arrests are so common, they shouldn’t be considered in an employment context at all,” she says.

The work began when Amy Solomon, then head of the Federal Interagency Reentry Council, was leading U.S. efforts to help former prisoners re-enter society. She knew previous research had shown having a criminal record—from arrest to conviction to incarceration—makes it harder to get a job. Employers may hesitate to hire applicants with a criminal record for fear they will reoffend, or for potential negligent hire lawsuits. But Solomon couldn’t figure out just how many of the unemployed had criminal records. She turned to Shawn Bushway, an economist and criminologist at RAND Corporation with a track record of finding answers to hard questions about statistics in criminal justice. “No one in criminology [had ever] asked … that question,” he says.
This is the other thing. This is where we get the unfortunate situation of 20,000,000+ felony convictions in the United States with a population of 331,000,000 people. I had a discussion with a co-worked from France about this, the other thing. He was disgusted with our criminal industrial complex and how many convictions. I just looked at him and said this isn't Europe. He asked me what the hell does that mean and I said:

In Europe, you have millions and millions of laws no one follows any of them.

In United States, we have very few laws but we damn well expect you to follow all of them.

Many people who live here simply can not follow the very few laws we have on the books.