Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Tennessee Volunteers

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 am

It would certainly seem with such a sarcastic reply.

GBJ and I agree on many things with Alabama football (this topic is not, specifically, about Bama), but we disagree about many other things (religion and politics, eg).

Then again, this is a tactic that prof has been employing with GBJ recently. Ah, that makes sense, because, as I've said before, if Prof stops too abruptly, it will likely break your neck. You and him being steadfast allies, through thick and thin, is kinda cute. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just let me know where y'all are registered and I'll send something nice. How's a NASCAR shotglass set sound?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 am

AlabamAlum wrote:It would suck ass.

Arkansas State, Tulane, UNLV (etc) would get in as conference champs while good teams from major conferences -who didn't win it all- sat at home unless you opened it to 24-36 teams.

It's a horrible, horrible idea. I hope it never happens.
That doesn't happen now?????

Why can't there still be a bowl system but make the BCS bowls, the playoffs thingy?

Have the championship game on the Sunday before the Super Bowl? There ain't shit on television then and the money would / could be made. Hell, move the championship around like the SB every year. Detroit, N.O., Miami, LA, Dallas, Indy, etc....

And as far as the entire student athlete argument.......cracker please.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:16 am

Having the bowl system left in place would be better than what I've heard suggested by some: 16-team playoff with conference champs and a couple of at-larges.

I don't think the current system is broken, so the need for a "fix" IMO is just not there.

At most, I would want a plus-one. That's a "playoff" of the top four teams. Looking back over the last 20 years or so, I don't see a ton (any?) teams #5 or worse that had a legit beef.

And I've never made a student-athlete argument. Who are you talking to?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 am

Not you in particular AA, just a lot of people use that argument for a playoff proposal.

Seed them 1-8, slap them in their BCS games, winners play two weeks after that and then BCS championship the week before the SB.

No loses money, bowl system stays intact, and you get a true champ.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 am

I would prefer 4 teams over 8 teams. One of my fears is that 8 teams becomes 16 with 12 conference champs and 4 at-larges. Yecch.
— Abraham Lincoln

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 am

This isn't basketball and people would have to understand that. No way a team like Nevada is going to win 4 games against an SEC champ, Big Ten champ, SEC at large, and Big 12 champ anytime soon. Just won't happen. However, that 2nd place Big Ten team that is an at large, may very well have a shot.

8 teams is plenty. 16 is way to much.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 am

We will have to disagree.

I would prefer to keep it like it is and, at worst, go to a plus one.
— Abraham Lincoln

The Gray Ghost
Senior
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by The Gray Ghost » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 am

Agreed.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:It would certainly seem with such a sarcastic reply.

GBJ and I agree on many things with Alabama football (this topic is not, specifically, about Bama), but we disagree about many other things (religion and politics, eg).

Then again, this is a tactic that prof has been employing with GBJ recently. Ah, that makes sense, because, as I've said before, if Prof stops too abruptly, it will likely break your neck. You and him being steadfast allies, through thick and thin, is kinda cute. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just let me know where y'all are registered and I'll send something nice. How's a NASCAR shotglass set sound?
You protest too much...AGAIN!

...way, way too much.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Hack,

Are you sure you want to go with that comment without checking with Prof to see if it's okay? Check with him and repost if he approves. I'll just wait here.
— Abraham Lincoln

Orangefreak
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Orangefreak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:33 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Having the bowl system left in place would be better than what I've heard suggested by some: 16-team playoff with conference champs and a couple of at-larges.
Actually, have NO at large bids. Tell the independents to join some conferences or they can forget about playing for the National Championship. The conference championship games would be the first game in the play-offs. The winners would go on to play in the play-offs consisting of the bowl games that used to make up the BCS games.

Some people will probably scream about how conferences won't get as much money as they did before because they will only have 1 team or so going to the playoff system. Well, the solution for that is to allow the current bowls that are not part of the current BCS system continue to host bowl games. The teams that lost in the conference Champships would get an auto invite to these bowl games while these bowls would then be free to pick the other teams as they please with the exception being they couldn't pick the teams in the play-offs.
Let the Jones era begin

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Hack,

Are you sure you want to go with that comment without checking with Prof to see if it's okay? Check with him and repost if he approves. I'll just wait here.
How did Prof get into this conversation? I know I didn't bring him up. And the discussion had nothing whatsoever to do with him or Auburn...or being a prison preacher...or anything associated with him.

So I think you need to work out your problems with Prof and leave me out of it, okay? I wish both of you the best.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm

It came up because you were mirroring him again. You've become robin to his batman.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 pm

That is a horrible, horrible idea, OF.

Miami (Oh) in and LSU out? Central Florida in and Alabama out? UConn in and Wisconsin out? Boise State in and Nebraska out?
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 pm

The Sun Belt, C-USA, MAC, and WAC champions should not be in while the SEC, BigTen, and PAC12 runners-up are sitting at home.

If that ever happens, the smartest thing a decent team could do is to resign from their tough conference and join the SunBelt. Guaranteed play off spot every year.
— Abraham Lincoln

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah, that ain't flying. I'd go with the BCS top 8 and run from there.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:26 pm

8 team playoff

6 conference champs (SEC, B10, BE, B12, P12, ACC) plus 2 wildcards chosen with BCS-style ranking...seeding 1thru 8 based on BCS rank

#1 vs #8 @ Fiesta
#2 vs #7 @ Cotton
#3 vs #6 @ Capital One
#4 vs #5 @ Outback

winner 1/8 vs winner 4/5 @ Orange**
winner 2/7 vs winner 3/6 @ Rose**

NC game @ Sugar**

**rotate as necessary

and the other 30 bowls can still have at it
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:55 pm

I cant believe that any SEC fan would propose a system where only the conference champ gets in.

Give me the top 4 teams regardless of conference - let everyone left play in the bowls as is now.

6 or 8 would be OK but anymore than that and I'd rather keep what we have now.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm

I just don't like anything more than a plus one.

Seems we are determined to mess with the wildly successful system we have now.

A plus one would be okay, I suppose. #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 with the winners meeting. Do we really weep for the 5th-8th ranked teams not getting a shot? This past year that would have been Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Arkansas. Meh. A plus one would have been Auburn vs Stanford and Oregon vs TCU in the prelims.
— Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:25 pm

And I always assume (maybe mistakenly) that when someone says a plus one they mean 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 with the winners playing.

My brother is actually a fan of a game after all the bowls picking the 2 best teams. Thats a horrible idea, because so many years its just unnecessary.