Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:33 pm

aTm wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:04 pm
innocentbystander wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:39 pm Can you actually build a 12 story tower with nothing other than cement and rebar?
Yes. The first one was built in 1903.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingalls_Building
thank you

Okay so from an engineering standpoint (given your evidence), it is possible that there were no actual steel girders in this building. If that is the case, then I think that might be culprit number one as to the reason why this building collapsed.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:22 pm

Would you just shut up already

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:22 pm Would you just shut up already
no
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:21 am

I am concerned that the tower may not have had any actual, weight bearing, steel girders. I have reviewed (over and over) the footage of the collapse and damage.

I don't see any steel girders in that building. Go to 0:42 and pause. Study that image. Looks like nothing but concrete and steel rebar to me. I see no steel girders.

The very first pure, reinforced, concrete skyscraper ever built, was the Ingalls building in Cincinnati Ohio. There are NO weight bearing girders in this building. Thank you aTm for making me aware that this is possible (from an engineering standpoint.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingalls_Building

I suppose steel rebar and pure, reinforced concrete is okay if you are in Ohio. Ohio is not near an ocean (not near salt water.) These towers were built LONG AFTER the Ohio Ingalls building. But these Florida towers are on the intercoastal and every second of their existence, every second, they are being pelted with salty air that wears away at the concrete and (after years/decades) leaves the steel rebar exposed. And eventually that exposed rebar will start to rust. And rusty rebar is no longer weight bearing.

I don't think that there is any politics in this one. I think this is just engineering and common sense. If you are going to build a twelve story tower on the Florida intercoastal, then you may need to spend real money and have actual, weight bearing, steel girders. And if there were girders in this building (I can't see them) then I can't imagine how this thing could collapse like that. This isn't the world trade center where the jet fuel was burning so hot as to melt/bend the steel girders such that they were no longer weight bearing (no longer of any real use.) There was no fire prior to collapse.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:31 am

Nobody cares about your opinion. On anything. You blew it with your rigged election attempt that was easily shot down. You know nothing about most anything but diddling little boys. That you are an expert on.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:31 am Nobody cares about your opinion. On anything. You blew it with your rigged election attempt that was easily shot down. You know nothing about most anything but diddling little boys. That you are an expert on.
No YOU don't care about my opinion. You can't speak for anyone else.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:11 pm

Apparently, the Trump International Hotel built by Bill Ransic in 2009 has no steel girders either. 98 stories, all concrete and steel rebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Int ... _(Chicago)

Its 50,000 tons of steel rebar, but no girders.

That just seems.... cheap.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:28 pm

innocentbystander wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:11 pm Apparently, the Trump International Hotel built by Bill Ransic in 2009 has no steel girders either. 98 stories, all concrete and steel rebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Int ... _(Chicago)

Its 50,000 tons of steel rebar, but no girders.

That just seems.... cheap.
It has Trump's name on it. What the fuck did you expect?
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:29 pm

I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Yes I totally agree with this. If the cement in the foundation was cracked and worn away down to the rebar, then of course, this collapses. The rebar will rust if exposed to the salt air. If the rebar is the only thing holding this thing up and it rusts, goodbye tower. You have to pay to add cement and recover/patch those cracks in the foundation.

I suppose steel girders can ALSO rust but I have to believe that they are much more structurally sound then bendable rebar.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Wow. People are just jumping at your opinion. Idiot.

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:11 am

I wish you were jumping off the Empire State Building...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm

I think the driver was being a dick but still, the ending is classic, jump to the 1:28 mark is you want to get to the heart of the video

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:32 pm

He did kinda drift into the bike lane as soon as he passed them...

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Did they ever catch that chick who caused the Tour de France crash?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Yep

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Inflation -> Stagflation -> ??????

When you have that Millennial cvnt AOC saying anyone who wants to work is a "chump" for not just taking free money why are we not surprised we have a labor shortage exacerbating inflation? Bitcoin came down a bit but it appears to be holding now (and inching up) as is the price of gold. Perhaps we have the influx of cash to explain that?

Really, we should go back to the gold standard. FDR was wrong (wrong about so many things, but that more so than anything) and Nixon doubled down on FDR's wrong-ness.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Shapiro is a pussy...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:27 pm

hedge wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:53 pm Shapiro is a pussy...
No, he most certainly is not.
Shapiro wrote:Why are we mainstreaming delusion?
Would you say that Hedge? Would you go on Dr Drew's show, be MAN ENOUGH to say something so medically and scientifically correct but so blatantly controversial when you KNOW you are alienating every single person in the studio (including the medical doctor who is mainstreaming delusion) when you say it? Are you brave enough, man enough to say that? I don't know what that makes Ben (smart, courageous, principled, any number of things) but PUSSY is not one of them.

Zoey Tur puts his hands on you (he touches you in a public setting) and threatens to send you home in an ambulance, what are you going to do there hedge? How would you have handled that? Watch how Ben handled it. Pussy is not the term I would give.