The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

aTm wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:35 am I figured ib’s home defense weapon of choice was nunchuks
My next door neighbor is also a cop. I've talked to him about The Judge and yes, he agrees for home defense, you can't do much better than that. You can't really use it at any kind of range the way he can his Glock, but for home defense, you are not going to do much better than that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Mon May 10, 2021 11:44 am

"From there on out, I see leftist go to war with leftist over the functional purpose of the police in 2021. Its a thing of beauty to see them argue with one another. It gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment."

You've really set a high bar for yourself, haven't you?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 am

Bullshit. Buy her something like a 20 gauge youth model Remington 870 or 1100 (or a 18" barrel double barrel 20 gauge like the Stevens coach gun with synthetic stock) to use in the home. Those guns are light, cut down for kids and easy to shoot. I can't speak for the usability of the Mossberg Shockwave, but I would imagine it's easy to use and has low recoil in the 20 gauge model. https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-sh ... uge-50657/
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 am

The MIF's deceased husband had an army issue WW I Colt .45 revolver. That thing weighs about 5 lbs...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon May 10, 2021 11:51 am

The weight is sign of reliability. I always go for reliability. Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 11:58 am

DooKSucks wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 am Bullshit. Buy her something like a 20 gauge youth model Remington 870 or 1100 (or a 18" barrel double barrel 20 gauge like the Stevens coach gun with synthetic stock) to use in the home. Those guns are light, cut down for kids and easy to shoot. I can't speak for the usability of the Mossberg Shockwave, but I would imagine it's easy to use and has low recoil in the 20 gauge model. https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-sh ... uge-50657/
DS, I get what the cops told me to get. No offense DS, I trust cops over you. Taurus Judge revolver is much easier to handle than a shotgun. And it has option. You can use .410 shot, or .45 rounds. Both work.

YMMV.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm

I really hate that "YMMV" acronym (or whatever you call it)...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

hedge wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm I really hate that "YMMV" acronym (or whatever you call it)...
well YOLO

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm

That's once too many for you...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm

hedge wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm That's once too many for you...
I had to be born. I had FOMO.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon May 10, 2021 2:25 pm

I would not recommend an AR as a single weapon for home defense.

If you want to scare someone, then get a pump, take the plug out and fill it with 5 rounds of buck shot

The "click clack" of the pump should be well recognized by potential intruder

that said, a good basic S&W .38 special revolver is pretty idiot proof - point and shoot. IF I owned guns, that would be the gun I would have easily accessible in more than one location in my home.

I think for a home intruder situation, its so high stress, a gun is nothing but a noise maker anyways.

fwiw, the Chinese have really upped their game in cheap quality shotguns. I'm talking like sub $200 on sale guns. One is called the H&R Partner.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm

I don't read IBs bullshit anymore. It pains me that there are people out there that are really that fucking stupid.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:51 pm I don't read IBs bullshit anymore. It pains me that there are people out there that are really that fucking stupid.
no it doesn't

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 pm

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Mon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Who couldn't pay their property taxes because people weren't paying their rent.
Let 'er Blow!

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 6:01 pm

10ac wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm Who couldn't pay their property taxes because people weren't paying their rent.
Landlords

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

AR is not for the lone intruder, it's for when you have to fight the government over your rights...which is becoming a legitimate reason.

Now, I don't own any guns. I am licensed to carry, but am too lazy to go gun shopping. I know there will be a time where I'll regret it and be at the mercy of the benevolence of those with guns, but right now don't have motivation.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 10, 2021 7:08 pm

sardis wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm AR is not for the lone intruder, it's for when you have to fight the government over your rights...which is becoming a legitimate reason.

Now, I don't own any guns. I am licensed to carry, but am too lazy to go gun shopping. I know there will be a time where I'll regret it and be at the mercy of the benevolence of those with guns, but right now don't have motivation.
I totally get that.

I live in Arizona. Here, if you want a gun, you can pretty much get.... whatever you want. And you can probably have it today.

In Massachusetts, ha! It was 30 days for the FID card that got you a permit to buy a rifle or shotgun. Pretty much everyone can get that (2nd Amendment style) after a background check. Pistol? That is subjectively up to the chief of police in the town/city you live. And you are usually only going to get it if you are
  • Private Investigator
  • Bail Bondsman
  • Pawn Shop Owner
  • Auto Title Loan Dealer
  • Insurance Adjuster
  • Any job where the Chief is convinced you will be interfacing directly with dangerous parts of the public

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon May 10, 2021 7:35 pm

Re: 870 vs a Mossy. I have both. Prefer the 870. Tighter slide and a steel receiver (as opposed to aluminum for the Mossberg). It’s okay for home defense if you don’t have a house full of people (like a bunch of kids). I can centerline you with a pistol without fear of hitting a close-by kid with a spray of shot.

The Judge: what I don’t like is limited capacity and if you use shot, you have the same problem as above, as well.

I’m also not a huge fan of the older 1911s like what hedge details. They also have limited capacity and have a higher rate of failure-to-extract/eject. I have a few of them, but it wouldn’t be my go-to in a self defense setting. A Glock or Sig gets that honor. I’ve shot competitively with both.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Did you guys know that IB lives in Arizona?