Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:14 am

George Floyd dies at the hand of cops so 100 other will die at the hands of citizens afraid to call the police...

Who's buying?

A 2020 survey by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association for gun retailers, ranges and manufacturers that lobbies Congress, said gun shop owners reported 40% of customers were first time gun buyers from Jan - April 2020.

Mark Oliva, public affairs director for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said the largest demographic increase was among non-white Americans.

"Today's gun owner looks a lot less like me and looks a whole lot more like America," Oliva, who is white, said.

Most often, the first timers are purchasing a semiautomatic handgun, outpacing the second-most purchased firearm, shotguns, by a 2 to 1 margin, according to NSSF.

Solomon, owner of Redstone Firearms and who has been running California's only Black owned-gun shop since 2015 with her husband, said in the last year, she's noticed an increase in the number of Black women who have come into the store to buy a gun.

Part of that interest stems from the strained relations between the Black community and police, and a real fear of dialing 911 in emergencies, she said.

"Because of that most of our customers that have come in here take on that personal responsibility to be able to protect themselves," she said.

------------------

doesn't sound like any of those people plan on shooting once
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am

While they await the release of the Brown video (backshot while driving away from the service of a warrant), another NC incident:

Bottom, an Atlanta librarian and grandmother of five, was driving to North Carolina for a relative’s funeral when police stopped her vehicle after it was going 10 mph over the speed limit, according to a federal lawsuit she filed Wednesday. Bottom, who did not immediately realize police wanted her to stop, was looking for a safe place to pull over when police used spike strips to stop her SUV.
Before Bottom, 68, could get an answer as to why the officers had their guns pointed at her head, police grabbed the librarian by her arm and hair and threw her from her car to the ground, body-camera footage shows.
Police then allegedly tore Bottom’s rotator cuff as they detained her, shrieking, facedown on the pavement of the interstate. After she cried for police to get her medical attention — “I am hurting really bad” — one of the officers on the scene congratulated his law enforcement colleagues on a job well done, according to the lawsuit.

Not an isolated event, more like a trend. Black motorists en masse feel the need to find well-lit or populated areas to pull over for LEOs. Physically and legally speaking, the outcomes for minority drivers are far worse than white drivers in these "drive to safety area" situations. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy - you expect mistreatment from a cop in an isolated spot, and then you guarantee it by extending the pursuit to a "better" spot.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 am

"I think it’s horseshit to give lawyers and judges the job of goalkeepers in charge of stopping legislatures from doing anything to investigate their own state elections under the guise of some “thou must not question the integrity of elections because that’s bad” logic."

I think it was less of “thou must not question the integrity of elections because that’s bad” logic (nobody has suggested that) as much as it was thou must make at least a cursory attempt to be fair and honest about it, instead of hiring an outfit called Cyber Ninjas that has never done an election audit and whose CEO is on record as being extremely biased with regard to voter fraud. And the courts very definitely should have some role in determining if that's the case...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 am

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 am The Los Angeles Times reported that according to four sources, in March 2020, the California National Guard was told to put an F-15C fighter jet on alert status – fueled up and ready to go – to frighten citizens protesting Governor Newsom’s Covid lockdown orders.

“It would have been a completely illegal order that disgraced the military,” one source told the Los Angeles Times. “It could look like we’re threatening civilians.”

“That’s something that would happen in the Soviet Union,” said a second of The Times’ sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared retaliation. “Our military is used to combat foreign aggressors.”

The Los Angeles Times reviewed internal Guard documents that revealed the fighter jet was also placed on alert status for election-week civil unrest to intimidate civilians.
But, but, but, it’s either lawful or not for the governor to call out the National Guard, and if you don’t have the votes to stop it, then you don’t have the votes. I think it’s horseshit to give lawyers and judges the job of goalkeepers in charge of stopping whoever has the authority to call out the National Guard under the guise of “thou must not question the right of the governor to call out the National Guard because that’s bad” logic. Or something like that....

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 am

"Bottom, who did not immediately realize police wanted her to stop, was looking for a safe place to pull over when police used spike strips to stop her SUV."

I'd need to hear more about this one. I get driving a little way to find a safe spot, but I have to think you'd be able to figure out something in the time it took cops to call for and then actually deploy spike strips. Like maybe half an hour...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 am

Actually, I just read this happened in Salisbury. Fuck those people, that whole stretch b/w Charlotte and Lexington on I-85 needs to burn in hell. I hope she gets a billion dollars out of this...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:11 am

bluetick wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am While they await the release of the Brown video (backshot while driving away from the service of a warrant), another NC incident:

Bottom, an Atlanta librarian and grandmother of five, was driving to North Carolina for a relative’s funeral when police stopped her vehicle after it was going 10 mph over the speed limit, according to a federal lawsuit she filed Wednesday. Bottom, who did not immediately realize police wanted her to stop, was looking for a safe place to pull over when police used spike strips to stop her SUV.
Before Bottom, 68, could get an answer as to why the officers had their guns pointed at her head, police grabbed the librarian by her arm and hair and threw her from her car to the ground, body-camera footage shows.
Police then allegedly tore Bottom’s rotator cuff as they detained her, shrieking, facedown on the pavement of the interstate. After she cried for police to get her medical attention — “I am hurting really bad” — one of the officers on the scene congratulated his law enforcement colleagues on a job well done, according to the lawsuit.

Not an isolated event, more like a trend. Black motorists en masse feel the need to find well-lit or populated areas to pull over for LEOs. Physically and legally speaking, the outcomes for minority drivers are far worse than white drivers in these "drive to safety area" situations. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy - you expect mistreatment from a cop in an isolated spot, and then you guarantee it by extending the pursuit to a "better" spot.
its not isolated in the sense that the same thing would happen to a white person if they did it. I don't believe for a second the cops make a distinction in color for a drive to safety area situation. The cop tells you to pull over and you don't, you just spiked his adrenaline and turned a boring day into some excitement.

Pull over, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn your dome light on if its dark, answer with yes sir or no sir , take the ticket and fight it in court if you did nothing wrong. I bet incidents of cops would drop to almost nothing to report if people just did that.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:18 am

hedge wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 am
eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 am The Los Angeles Times reported that according to four sources, in March 2020, the California National Guard was told to put an F-15C fighter jet on alert status – fueled up and ready to go – to frighten citizens protesting Governor Newsom’s Covid lockdown orders.

“It would have been a completely illegal order that disgraced the military,” one source told the Los Angeles Times. “It could look like we’re threatening civilians.”

“That’s something that would happen in the Soviet Union,” said a second of The Times’ sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared retaliation. “Our military is used to combat foreign aggressors.”

The Los Angeles Times reviewed internal Guard documents that revealed the fighter jet was also placed on alert status for election-week civil unrest to intimidate civilians.
But, but, but, it’s either lawful or not for the governor to call out the National Guard, and if you don’t have the votes to stop it, then you don’t have the votes. I think it’s horseshit to give lawyers and judges the job of goalkeepers in charge of stopping whoever has the authority to call out the National Guard under the guise of “thou must not question the right of the governor to call out the National Guard because that’s bad” logic. Or something like that....
so you agree with Newsom that he should be able to call out fighter jets to intimidate people protesting against Covid-19 restrictions. I'm reading that right?

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am

eCat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:11 am
bluetick wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 am While they await the release of the Brown video (backshot while driving away from the service of a warrant), another NC incident:

its not isolated in the sense that the same thing would happen to a white person if they did it. I don't believe for a second the cops make a distinction in color for a drive to safety area situation. The cop tells you to pull over and you don't, you just spiked his adrenaline and turned a boring day into some excitement.

Pull over, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn your dome light on if its dark, answer with yes sir or no sir , take the ticket and fight it in court if you did nothing wrong. I bet incidents of cops would drop to almost nothing to report if people just did that.
You would be correct. They would drop to almost nothing.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:40 am

Im sure the cop mentality is that if you don’t immediately pull over you must be hiding drugs or a weapon.

It also seems to be some sort of gotcha bullshit on their checklist. I pretty much never get pulled over but two of the three times that I have been “why didnt you pull over immediately “ is like the first fucking words out of their mouth and Im left looking at him like “what the fuck you want, I pulled over within like 20 seconds in a spot where it was safe, asshole?”
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am

heh

Why is we never hear reporting like this from Lester Holt, David Meir, or Nora O'Donnell?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:54 am

aTm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:40 am Im sure the cop mentality is that if you don’t immediately pull over you must be hiding drugs or a weapon.
or outstanding tickets or warrants

its amazing how many of these result in confrontations with police when someone is pulled over. 99.99% of the time, if you don't have drugs, a weapon or no outstanding legal issues, the traffic stop by the police will be a non issue regardless of color. No one reports on the thousand of times a day police pull someone over and this happens. But an elderly black librarian woman believes she has to drive to safety during a traffic stop because its likely she is going to be the next George Floyd. The police didn't make her do that, the media saturation of supposed constant police brutality against blacks did.

Now I don't know the details of the incident, but I gather there wasn't anything particularly unusual about this traffic stop

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am

innocentbystander wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am heh

Why is we never hear reporting like this from Lester Holt, David Meir, or Nora O'Donnell?
Because they're Americans? WYF was that?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am

Jungle Rat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am
innocentbystander wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am heh

Because they're Americans? WYF was that?
I think its pretty important for our three national news agencies to report that our President has Alzheimer's Disease if even half of what these Aussie reporters are saying is true. But we are not going to hear that from the "Americans" (as you put it) because I'm pretty sure all three voted for Biden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:19 am

Because the Aussies know.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am

"so you agree with Newsom that he should be able to call out fighter jets to intimidate people protesting against Covid-19 restrictions. I'm reading that right?"

No, I'm mocking aTm, but I forgot that you never read his posts...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:36 am

"Pull over, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn your dome light on if its dark, answer with yes sir or no sir , take the ticket and fight it in court if you did nothing wrong. I bet incidents of cops would drop to almost nothing to report if people just did that."

I agree with that but at the same time I don't see the need to pull a 68 year old woman out of the car and slam her on the ground...

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:43 am

Now I don't know the details of the incident, but I gather there wasn't anything particularly unusual about this traffic stop
Bottom said she was driving from her home in Fulton County, Ga., to Raleigh for her great aunt’s funeral on May 30, 2019, when she noticed a police car trying to pull her over for going 80 mph in a 70 mph zone. It was around 8 p.m., and Bottom, who said that initially she didn’t notice the lights because she was listening to the music of Santana and Prince at a loud volume, was trying to find a safe area to pull over. Her fear of police also played a role in finding a safe spot to stop on Interstate 85, Bottom told The Post.

Police body-cam footage published by the Washington Post shows that within seconds of officers opening Bottom’s car door and seeing a visibly afraid elderly woman, an officer grabbed her by her arm and hair to pull her out of the car. Officers can also be seen handling her like she was a six-foot-plus grown man as she screamed in pain and terror. The footage also caught officers congratulating each other on what they had done with one officer saying, “That’s good police work, baby,” and another bragging that he grabbed a “handful of dreads,” and said, “at that point, she deserved it.”

"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am

I got pulled over a couple months ago coming home from dinner with the fambly. Definitely had had a couple of drinks but wasn't drunk, but it's possible I might've blown a .08. Anyway, I pulled over to a side street, cop comes up to my window and tells me my brake light is sticking and also that his system is showing there's an issue with my insurance. I didn't have my wallet on me, so no driver's license either. I told him I'd gotten that car a few months ago and and had transferred my insurance from my old car and clearly they issued me a new tag and registration, so there wasn't an issue with my insurance with DMV when I got it. I told him I'd had my insurance with Joe Blow (not his real name) for many years and that it was drafted directly from my bank account, so I didn't know what was going on. The cop was about my age, and about the same age as Joe Blow, who is a well-know insurance agent in town, and I figured he probably knew him, and sure enough, he said "well, you need to call Joe Monday morning and get it straight, and also get the brake light fixed." He asked me how far to the house, I told him less than a mile, he said take it in. I said thank you, sir, goodnight, and did all of the above. I do wonder how that might've gone down with a black guy in a different part of town...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am

As an added bonus, my cruise control had been acting up for awhile, but when they fixed the brake light issue, the cruise control started working perfectly...