Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Fifer
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Fifer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:56 pm

This UK freshman class had better plan on being around for a few more years. One good thing Louisville sucks even more than we do.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 pm

good win for UNC. I didn't get to watch most of the game. I went to make a pizza run and a woman rear-ended me so I had to deal with that.

To win a game, UK has to be in the lead by 15 with 5 minutes left because they have no idea how to close out a game.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Dude, call their insurance company and tell them you are hurt. I don't care if you're not, these motherfuckers need to burn. You can get $10K out of this without blinking an eye if her insurance accept liability. Do it for me, man...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:35 pm

nah I can't do that
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:40 pm

I only watched the second half but looked like Kentucky got jobbed by the refs. One call in particular was the moving pick that never gets called and didn't really impact anything. Other than that neither team looked great.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

The Insemination Of The Shot Clock.

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am

Stall Ball

Dec. 20, 1983 at Riverfront Coliseum

Final: Kentucky 24 Cincinnati 11

A national television audience watched on ESPN. Can you imagine it happening tonight? Can you imagine the reaction on social media?

What happened:

Tony Yates was in his first year as UC coach and the Bearcats were a big underdog vs the then-No. 2 Kentucky Wildcats. UC was rebuilding and would finish the season 3-25.

Kentucky came to town with 7-foot-1 Bowie, 6-10 Turpin, 6-8 Kenny Walker and 6-7 Winston Bennett. UK would finish the season 29-5 and advance to the Final Four.

Yates figured the Bearcats best and only chance to compete was to slow the game down. So, UC held the ball. They stalled. They made 22 passes on their first possession of the game. At one point, UC held the ball without taking a shot for 7-minutes and 22-seconds.

The Wildcats led 11-7 at the half.

UC took 12 shots in the game, UK 19. No player in the game took more than four shots from the field.

The Wildcats were 4 of 8 at the free-throw line. The Bearcats hit 1 of 2.

UK was led in scoring by Sam Bowie (6) and Melvin Turpin (6). UC was led by Mark Dorris (5).

Looking back

Mike DeCourcy reflected on the game a few years ago.

"In 40 minutes of basketball, the teams attempted just 31 shots and made 15 field goals. Mostly, they dribbled and passed and stood on the court.

They set basketball back 50 years and maybe moved it forward, as well. It was a game that had a lasting effect on the sport and on the UK-UC rivalry, such as it is, and still is debated as often as any of the 467 games the Bearcats have played since."

From the New York Times

"Joe B. Hall, the Kentucky coach, said, ''I feel sorry for the fans and for the players who didn't get to play. He added that the Wildcats switched to the slow play themselves because ''we chose to play their way.

The Cincinnati coach, Tony Yates, said: ''This was the only way we could play them. I'm so proud of the control our players had.''

Lexington Herald Leader

"Its architect called it good strategy, its victim called it bad business. On several occasions, those in attendance gave it a resounding review of boorrriiinnnggg! Whichever, for the large contingent of Kentucky fans that helped fill Riverfront Coliseum last night for a glimpse at their Wildcats, it was downright robbery"

The shot-clock (:45) was voted into full-time use for the 1985-86 season.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Rewatching the last few minutes of the UNC/UK game from yesterday, I hadn't noticed how effectively UK milked the shot clock in the last 5 minutes of the game. Seems like every possession they used up almost the entire shot clock before getting a shot off. Problem was, they were down 6-10 points that whole time. But hey, focus on the positives. If UK ever has a lead in that situation later this year, they'll have plenty of experience in milking the shot clock...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:03 pm

we won't

Fifer
Junior

Re: The Insemination Of The Shot Clock.

Post by Fifer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:29 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am Stall Ball

Dec. 20, 1983 at Riverfront Coliseum

Final: Kentucky 24 Cincinnati 11

A national television audience watched on ESPN. Can you imagine it happening tonight? Can you imagine the reaction on social media?

What happened:

Tony Yates was in his first year as UC coach and the Bearcats were a big underdog vs the then-No. 2 Kentucky Wildcats. UC was rebuilding and would finish the season 3-25.

Kentucky came to town with 7-foot-1 Bowie, 6-10 Turpin, 6-8 Kenny Walker and 6-7 Winston Bennett. UK would finish the season 29-5 and advance to the Final Four.

Yates figured the Bearcats best and only chance to compete was to slow the game down. So, UC held the ball. They stalled. They made 22 passes on their first possession of the game. At one point, UC held the ball without taking a shot for 7-minutes and 22-seconds.

The Wildcats led 11-7 at the half.

UC took 12 shots in the game, UK 19. No player in the game took more than four shots from the field.

The Wildcats were 4 of 8 at the free-throw line. The Bearcats hit 1 of 2.

UK was led in scoring by Sam Bowie (6) and Melvin Turpin (6). UC was led by Mark Dorris (5).

Looking back

Mike DeCourcy reflected on the game a few years ago.

"In 40 minutes of basketball, the teams attempted just 31 shots and made 15 field goals. Mostly, they dribbled and passed and stood on the court.

They set basketball back 50 years and maybe moved it forward, as well. It was a game that had a lasting effect on the sport and on the UK-UC rivalry, such as it is, and still is debated as often as any of the 467 games the Bearcats have played since."

From the New York Times

"Joe B. Hall, the Kentucky coach, said, ''I feel sorry for the fans and for the players who didn't get to play. He added that the Wildcats switched to the slow play themselves because ''we chose to play their way.

The Cincinnati coach, Tony Yates, said: ''This was the only way we could play them. I'm so proud of the control our players had.''

Lexington Herald Leader

"Its architect called it good strategy, its victim called it bad business. On several occasions, those in attendance gave it a resounding review of boorrriiinnnggg! Whichever, for the large contingent of Kentucky fans that helped fill Riverfront Coliseum last night for a glimpse at their Wildcats, it was downright robbery"

The shot-clock (:45) was voted into full-time use for the 1985-86 season.
Tell me about it. I was there. I thought my fellow UK fans were going to turn into a lynch mob. Joe Hall said " we will never play them again". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have ever played UC in regular season since.
Last edited by Fifer on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pm

I'm sure they'd play UC now that they suck again.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Jungle Rat wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:35 pm I'm sure they'd play UC now that they suck again.
We suck too. If we lose to that shit ass Louisville team that was ass jacked by Wisconsin yesterday, the wolves are going to be howling for Cal.

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Biggest mistake I ever made was not demanding compensation when the Air China van rear-ended me on Hwy 101 in front of SFO.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Probably a good thing you didn't (for you not us) because you'd have blown it on crack and probably would be dead by now.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:15 pm

That was pre-crack, but yeah, that's what would have happened. Like I said, biggest mistake I ever made was not demanding compensation when the Air China van rear-ended me on Hwy 101 in front of SFO.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:26 pm

http://www.sportshistorytoday.com/lowes ... r-13-1973/

Didn’t Dean Smith invent the “4 corners”?
Let 'er Blow!

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Yes, but stallball was in place well before Deano ran it with Phil Ford at the wheel.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:29 am

John McLendon is credited with inventing/developing the initial iteration of the "weave" used in the Four Corners offense.

Coach Smith's version of said "weave" was developed by accident in practice. Larry Brown was the point guard and screwed something up in the weave pattern, but Coach Smith liked what happened and built upon it. He then developed the Four Corners offense.

The first game that Coach Smith used the Four Corner offense was in his second season against Kentucky. Coach Smith led Carolina to an upset over Adolph Rupp and Cotton Nash.

Other teams would stall/hold the ball without any real plan to keep the stall/hold going once teams came out of their zone or stopped sagging in man-to-man defense. The weave and drive principals allowed the Four Corners stall to continue even after the other team came out while also allowing for a means by which to score.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am

Nobody cares

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:57 pm

This is sounding like the Doherty implosion at Carolina (minus a title and several Final Fours)....

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm

yea, kid was in tears at the end of the game for not getting any serious PT in the loss to UNC.

also, Clarke walked off the court before the game was over

if you believe the rumors, none of the starters wanted to represent the team after the game on the video call, so Cal has Keion Brooks come in - who hasn't played a minute yet go to the call.

Afterwards Cam released a very professional (meaning he didn't write it, probably didn't approve it) tweet apologizing to the fans, but between the game and that tweet, he was mad cursing Cal and it exploded/imploded from there.

These kids expect, hell they demand a legitimate shot to go pro at the end of the season. They are on a shit team unwilling or unable to play team ball, and Cal , with the staff he has in place, isn't able to pull off the magic with them.

The fans are out for blood, and all Cal has to do is say Look, I fucked up , we realize we're too invested with these type of players and the constant turnover is not going to result in consistent basketball with a legitimate chance at a national championship.

But he won't say it because his agenda isn't to win national championships at UK, its to be the godfather of NBA basketball talent and prove to the NBA once and for all they should have never fired him.