Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:26 pm

"Apparently this asteroid is a snapshot of the universe after the big bang"

Overexposed, I assume...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Milford? That's Gil Thorpe's stomping grounds...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:15 am

It's a redneck shit hole.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:52 am

and college sports is about to change forever

In January, the NCAA will vote on a proposal to allow student-athletes to profit off their name, image, and likeness. The proposal includes lots of rules on what players can and cannot be paid for, which gets a bit confusing, so ESPN put together a fancy tool to explain it all.

Dan Murphy used four scenarios to break down how much athletes can make for social media posts. For example, an All-American could earn anywhere from $500,000 to $1 million for Twitter, YouTube, or Instagram endorsements, shoutouts on Cameo, etc., whereas a non-revenue athlete may make only $1,000 to $3,000. Revenue athletes who may not be All-Americans still have the potential to earn anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, Murphy estimates.

You don’t need to be a nationally known college star to build a significant following on social media. Promoting or endorsing a product via a YouTube channel, Twitter post or Instagram account is worth about $600 per post for an athlete with roughly 25,000 followers on Twitter and Instagram. Several companies, such as Opendorse and INFLCR, already exist to help athletes build a following and potentially connect with advertisers. The opportunities for this level of athlete are likely to come from local companies or brands that relate to a specific special skill or interest the athlete has shown in their social media presence. For example, Ohio State senior punter/bottle-flipping expert Drue Chrisman might have picked up some interest from Dasani or Aquafina during his time as a Buckeye.

NIL legislation can be a headache, so shoutout to Murphy for simplifying it for the masses.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:01 am

Seems like that would be helpful for UNC, UK, etc...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 am

what is to stop a school from saying this kid got an endorsement from a local car dealership that just happens to be owned by a booster and paid the kid $500K ?

yea it helps schools like UK and UNC, but they already have too much leverage. A school like Ball State who puts together a good run maybe once every 5 years has no shot now. 4 star athletes will be walk ons at UNC and UK instead of going to local U because they can bring in $2m in the 4 years they stay at the school
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:21 am

Good point, but I'd say there are plenty of those around Chapel Hill and Lexington. I think Michael Jordan actually owns one outside Chapel Hill. But I think kids would rather be hawking nationally known products than local car dealerships, and the UNC/UK (etc) name would help with that...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:18 am

I'm so out of touch with the world, it occurred to me last night that its mid November and I don't even know when basketball starts, then I hear the Masters is going on right now

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:32 am

Kentucky women's basketball coach fell down and hit his head last March, had to have brain surgery because of it a few months back and now has announced his immediate retirement

Feel for the guy, seemed like a good guy, no scandal during his time here, no diddling the players or any of that nonsense and usually UK women's basketball was always in the top 25.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:03 am

Does this mean that the Maui brackets are going to be delayed?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:41 pm

My sister-in-law’s brother is a sports photographer and usually is in Maui during Thanksgiving. This year he’s spending it with my extended family. Talk about a step down.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:58 pm

He'll probably get covid too.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:34 pm

I hope he passes it to the extended family.
Let 'er Blow!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:36 am

so the Pfizer vaccine is 90% effective according to their studies and DeWine said it could be available in Ohio as early as December. I would think it would be available to the masses by March. As soon as I can get it, I will. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I'm a "I want my old life backer".

The down side of it I rescheduled a cruise for June and if the vaccine is available before then, I bet that boat will be packed. I was hoping for a "social distancing" cruise where it was at 60% capacity. it wouldn't be ideal and I acknowledge the likelihood of contracting the virus would be high, but to have a boat 40% empty with out a bunch of old people or kids sounds like a good trade off.

There are some things that are never going back though. We used to have salesmen that would fly out from say Chicago to Seattle for a 1 hour meeting with an executive to close a deal. That's gone. Both of those men have learned that a Zoom meeting or whatever is just as effective, less demanding of their time and saves both of them money. The days of me going into the office 5 days a week are forever gone. My group exceeded our goals for the 2020 by 11% which is unheard of, and our margins were up 3.5 points because no one was traveling. So how can anyone make an argument that being in the office is more productive? I expect to see us consolidating alot of office space - in cities where we may have had 4 offices of different divisions, I expect them to combine them into office community space where you don't have an assigned deck or meeting space, you schedule it for the days you will be in the office. I may be working next to a guy in our motors or energy division.

Its going to take some adjustment. Its just too easy to decide that you can mow the yard at 2pm on a Wednesday or whatever. Managers and employees are going to have to get more tasked based and let go of the idea that the employee is tethered to a keyboard for 8 hours a day.

I already downloaded a program called mouse jiggle that keeps my mouse active , because we have an messenger app we used that if you set idle it shows you inactive or away. So the mouse jiggle program makes the app think your doing stuff on your computer all day - then I have the messenger thing "ding" every time someone sends me a message and I have a bluetooth speaker connected to my computer located on the other side of the house (or I wear bluetooth headphones) so that I am alerted when someone is trying to contact me no matter where I am at

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:12 am

eCat wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:36 am so the Pfizer vaccine is 90% effective according to their studies and DeWine said it could be available in Ohio as early as December. I would think it would be available to the masses by March. As soon as I can get it, I will. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I'm a "I want my old life backer".

The down side of it I rescheduled a cruise for June and if the vaccine is available before then, I bet that boat will be packed. I was hoping for a "social distancing" cruise where it was at 60% capacity. it wouldn't be ideal and I acknowledge the likelihood of contracting the virus would be high, but to have a boat 40% empty with out a bunch of old people or kids sounds like a good trade off.

There are some things that are never going back though. We used to have salesmen that would fly out from say Chicago to Seattle for a 1 hour meeting with an executive to close a deal. That's gone. Both of those men have learned that a Zoom meeting or whatever is just as effective, less demanding of their time and saves both of them money. The days of me going into the office 5 days a week are forever gone. My group exceeded our goals for the 2020 by 11% which is unheard of, and our margins were up 3.5 points because no one was traveling. So how can anyone make an argument that being in the office is more productive? I expect to see us consolidating alot of office space - in cities where we may have had 4 offices of different divisions, I expect them to combine them into office community space where you don't have an assigned deck or meeting space, you schedule it for the days you will be in the office. I may be working next to a guy in our motors or energy division.

Its going to take some adjustment. Its just too easy to decide that you can mow the yard at 2pm on a Wednesday or whatever. Managers and employees are going to have to get more tasked based and let go of the idea that the employee is tethered to a keyboard for 8 hours a day.

I already downloaded a program called mouse jiggle that keeps my mouse active , because we have an messenger app we used that if you set idle it shows you inactive or away. So the mouse jiggle program makes the app think your doing stuff on your computer all day - then I have the messenger thing "ding" every time someone sends me a message and I have a bluetooth speaker connected to my computer located on the other side of the house (or I wear bluetooth headphones) so that I am alerted when someone is trying to contact me no matter where I am at
A friend who is at Wells Fargo says their IT crowd blocks and checks for third party stuff like that mouse jiggle program. So my friend found a physical mouse jiggler on Amazon...

Heck, even I’m working more remote now. If it’s a potential client, I’m more apt to meet in person to close the deal so to speak, but I do most meetings via zoom, teams or phone. The bitch of it is that we still use a server based management program. So, I use Remote Desktop to access that system. I’m hoping i can convince the firm — and our IT guy is behind it 100% — to switch to a web/cloud based system. It’s so much cheaper long term, but the billing coordinator and senior partners would likely bitch about learning something new (which I understand). However, even at $80-100 per month per user license, it’s still cheaper than the $70 per month per user license for amicus, the service plans your forced to buy and server costs.
Last edited by DooKSucks on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:26 am

Wells Fargo sounds like a shitty place to work

We use Microsoft Teams . I have no idea if its expensive but it ties into Outlook and its all pretty tight. Streaming to up to 20K people and individual meetings of up to 49 webcams.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:53 pm

The future of work will be interesting. I agree with a bunch of what e says here. We won't utilize that "hoteling" concept in our office, but I don't see us every going back to a full 5 days in the office structure.

The bigger story is the social aspect of the end of a closed and distanced society. When this is over, all the single people are going to turn NYC into a scene from Caligula.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:01 pm

I sell Medicare insurance. It's my busy season. I'm doing it all from my desk, over the phone, online, and through the mail. I only leave the house to go to the post office.
Last edited by Fifer on Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:07 pm

the flipside of this is my days are filled with meetings. What used to be a casual conversation or a quick phone call is now a scheduled meeting blocked off on my calendar. Also, my "office" is always on so I find myself approving expenses or writing a review at 9pm on Thursday or on a Sunday afternoon. I try to make the work week normal - start at 8, take an hour break at noon and knock off around 5:30 or so, but last week I had 2 6am meetings, and I ran an errand middle of the day so I worked later that night.

What I'm seeing is the workday is going away along with the 5 day work week. That's why I said we're going to have to become more tasked based. You focus on the quantity and quality of the assignments and then the results of those activities. Not the hours the employee works or when they are worked.