hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm

DooKSucks wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:14 pm
hedge wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:05 am I'm now the aTm of IC...
What’s your name on IC?

Take a wild guess...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

"The Circus, wrote a piece this week for The Atlantic magazine called: “Stay Alive, Joe Biden: Democrats need little from the front-runner beyond his corporeal presence.” She discussed Biden’s current status as if he barely existed: “Biden was never really convincing anyone on the stump — his political power at this point is an idea, held collectively, about how to defeat Trump.”"

I said a couple of weeks ago that Biden doesn't need to do anymore debates, not with Bernie, not with Trump; doesn't need to make any more public appearances or speeches or utterances, not even an acceptance speech at the democratic national convention. Just stay alive and have his name on the ballot in November, that's all he needs to focus on...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 pm

I think that last post was the first time I've ever used to hated semicolon on any iteration of the Goat Pen we've ever inhabited. Didn't feel as bad as I imagined it would. Don't get me wrong, it didn't just roll off my ring finger (I had to search for it), it didn't feel natural - I had to think about it. But it seemed, implausibly, like the right thing to do...

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by 10ac » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 pm

I wish you had a diseased semi colon.
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm

eCat wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 pm as I understand it, 4 GOP Senators are objecting to the amount of unemployment insurance being paid to Americans in this stimulus bill - as a result of the bill, some people will be receiving up to $600 a week which could very well be more than they were making on their job

Sanders says it stays OR he holds up the bill and demands that the $500billion to business is conditional they don't lay off workers, they don't cut wages and they can't continue to pay minimum wage.

Now this is a time where I'd say the optics look bad on the GOP and it was a stupid move on their part to bring this out and expect to be treated as fiscal heroes to the people.

As someone who probably won't see a dime of that money, I say just fucking get it out to the people and give them some hope you bastards. Who gives a fuck its its $400 or $600 a week when were talking $2 trillion dollars.

That is a stupid hill to die on.
::: passes out :::

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 pm

Yep. Dumbass is more worried about his election than the health of American citizens. Fucking moron. The only good thing that can come out of this is of grandpa crotch gets the Corona

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 am

Politics
Fox News’ Brit Hume: It’s ‘Entirely Reasonable’ the Elderly Would Want to Die to Save Economy
Lindsey Ellefson
The WrapMarch 25, 2020, 9:20 AM EDT

And Glenn Beck is saying the same thing - sacrifice the seniors to save the economy. Trump's economy. Trump's re-election.

From all indications this line of thinking isn't going over very well. And it probably won't age well, either. With most people - not all.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am

There is no question that Neil Ferguson of Imperial College UK changed the course of the American response to the Wuhan coronavirus with his report a few weeks ago, predicting that if America did not go into lockdown and dramatically restrict the movement of people, we were facing 2.2 million deaths. The report shocked the Trump White House into a different posture. http://vlt.tc/3x4d (In the interim, Ferguson has himself contracted the coronavirus.) And now he comes to testify before MPs via video conferencing, and says rather than 500,000 deaths for the UK, he anticipates the disease will result in fewer than 20,000.

Well. That’s a different number. By a lot.

Another number is 3.3 million, which is the number of unemployment claims today. Thanks directly to Mr. Ferguson’s predictions, which the media repeated breathlessly as incoming facts instead of what they were - an educated guess, which has since been adjusted thanks to more data. The 3.3 million unemployment claims today are a direct result of everyone from Morning Joe to Tucker Carlson repeating these baseless claims as fact.

As Jordan Schachtel tweeted, “The man who panicked the world is now running from his doomsday projections.” Here’s the New Scientist report. http://vlt.tc/3x2w “Neil Ferguson at Imperial College London gave evidence today to the UK’s parliamentary select committee on science and technology as part of an inquiry into the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.

“He said that expected increases in National Health Service capacity and ongoing restrictions to people’s movements make him “reasonably confident” the health service can cope when the predicted peak of the epidemic arrives in two or three weeks. UK deaths from the disease are now unlikely to exceed 20,000, he said, and could be much lower.

“The need for intensive care beds will get very close to capacity in some areas, but won’t be breached at a national level, said Ferguson. The projections are based on computer simulations of the virus spreading, which take into account the properties of the virus, the reduced transmission between people asked to stay at home and the capacity of hospitals, particularly intensive care units.

“The Imperial model has played a key role in informing the UK’s coronavirus strategy, but this approach has been criticised by some. “To be fair, the Imperial people are the some of the best infectious disease modellers on the planet,” Paul Hunter at the University of East Anglia, UK, told New Scientist last week. “But it is risky to put all your eggs in a single basket.”

“Ferguson said the current strategy was intended to keep transmission of the virus at low levels until a vaccine was available. Experts say that could take 12 to 18 months and Ferguson acknowledged it was impractical to keep the UK in lockdown for so long, especially because of the impact on the economy. “We’ll be paying for this year for decades to come,” he said.”
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm

"predicting that if America did not go into lockdown and dramatically restrict the movement of people, we were facing 2.2 million deaths."

But we did go on lockdown in many places and restricted movement almost everywhere. Sounds like it was successful. So far. So what's the problem?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm

My question is, if flu is so prevalent and kills so many people year and and year out (way more, so far, than CV), why hasn't the heath care system been "overwhelmed" every year due to flu? Is it b/c most flu patients, including the ones who die, don't need ventilators? Is it that one piece of equipment that is causing the system to be "overwhelmed"? B/c it seems like doctor's offices and hospitals handle all the flu cases every year and we never hear anything about that, and, at least according to the numbers I've seen, that's at least 10 times the people, every year, than have so far been affected by CV. Actually, I think the number I saw for people who had the flu this year was 19 million, so that's 200x the cases of CV that we've currently seen, although I understand it's increasing daily. Still, 200x as many have had the flu. That's a pretty dramatic difference. So how come something that is only affecting 1/200th as much of the population as the flu has this year is now overwhelming the system?

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

I think this is simply generally a much more severe sickness, so many more people are having what would be considered very severe symptoms of flu. They think 15-20%? of people who get this require hospitalization, and potentially more may have serious symptoms that cause them concern enough to seek medical attention. A MUCH smaller percentage of flu cases require hospitalization, so thats why the worry about overwhelming medical care.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm

That sounds right, but this is from the CDC's report of the 2018-19 flu season:

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza."

So that's about 1.4% of total flu patients who required hospitalization, about 1/10 of the lower end number you stated, but 35.5 million is 50 times the number of CV case so far (although I understand it is increasing daily), so the number of hospitalizations is still 5x as many total. Maybe not as many needed ICU care, but it still seems like the system can "handle", year in and year out, a pretty big number of flu patients and we never hear anything about the system being overwhelmed. FWIW, in that same CDC report, they characterized the 2018-10 flu season as one of "moderate severity"...

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Heh....sounds a whole lot like a few here at TGP

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Looks as if this frees up some extracurricular activities for Rat....

Last edited by crotch on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:10 pm

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

crotch wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:08 pm Looks as if this frees up some extracurricular activities for Rat....

as a suburb we aren't dealing with this but we no longer park our cars next to the road now

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Nothing different here.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 pm

hedge wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm I said a couple of weeks ago that Biden doesn't need to do anymore debates, not with Bernie, not with Trump; doesn't need to make any more public appearances or speeches or utterances, not even an acceptance speech at the democratic national convention. Just stay alive and have his name on the ballot in November, that's all he needs to focus on...
That’s good for you, because the ability to simply exist is all Joe is capable of doing these days. I would also add that when normal sane people vote for a president, the candidate’s ability to exist will not be enough reason to vote for him. Not even close.

If he wants to pull a Mike Bloomberg, and hide from the voters, and only present himself to them in the form of campaign ads, then he will have the same result that Bloomberg did.

Meanwhile, all Trump’s campaign will have to show all those photos and footage of Joe being a first rate weirdo. Like inappropriately touching little girls, and sniffing the hair of several women he never met before, and letting motorcycle mommas sit in his lap, and saying things like Obama was the “first articulate and clean black” candidate for president,” and “if you go to a Dunkin Donuts you need a an Indian accent,” and “black kids are just as smart as rich kids” and angrily challenging an elderly man to a push-up contest, and commenting on his grandchildren playing with his leg hair, and him bragging about threatening the Ukraininans to withhold billions of US aid unless they fired prosecutor who was investigating his son, and calling someone a “dog faced pony soldier,” and “you know the deal” etc etc etc.

Fox viewers know about this stuff, but the rest of the media has strenuously maintained an embargo on all of it. That will change after he gets the nomination, when non-Fox viewers will see that stuff for the first time. Joe’s ability to exist will not be able to overcome footage of his lifetime of truly bizarre behavior.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 pm

I’ll be a dad in a few hours...

C-Section at 7am
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.