Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: MIT Engineers

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 am

yea I remember going by a house in terrace park, which is an upscale neighborhood here and a guy was having a fire sale on a home for $290K. Its worth about $600K now.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 am

It's always good to buy when others are panicking, esp. big ticket items. Logan bought a new truck in 2009 for like $20K, he said the salesman was acting like he was never going to sell another vehicle. Said he thought he could've gotten it for even less but he felt sorry for the guy. He sold it a few years later for for what he paid for it, basically got to use a new truck for free for a few years...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 pm

in the sub $350K homes here our market is crazy. Unless there is something majorly wrong with the home, the house will sell in 2 weeks.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:22 pm

I've been talking to contractors, home builders and realtors over a span of 12 hours. I'm already over this

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:27 am

Any middle class home in the $150k-$250k price range is moving like hot cakes around here. They won’t stay on the market longer than two weeks. In a Raleigh/Wake County, people are paying over asking price for homes below $350k according to realtors. My cousin’s kid got $6k over asking for her little house in Wendell.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 am

Hedge. Get Logans dick out of your mouth. It's sad.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:27 am

It's all about location. I bet the MIF couldn't get $400K for her house, but if it was in Raleigh (or, based on what Rat is asking for his house, Cincinnati) it would easily be well over $2 million...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am

there is (1) 4 bedroom home with a first floor master within 10 miles of my house for sale that is in the price range I want - and my price range is large enough to pull something decent in.

The only reason it is for sale and not sold is because it has no back yard. The rear deck backs up to a a green belt overtaken with kudzu. Great for mowing, not so much for dogs

If we are serious about buying a house, we have about 3 days to decide on one when it comes on the market and we're going to pay asking price

That's far from ideal. I may just wait a year.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 am

How close are you to paying your current home off? If close, I personally wouldn't move unless there is an overwhelming need. No mortgage and an early retirement is nice, and even if you don't retire yet, a paid off house often gives you that power when needed. But if the house's neighborhood is going bad, pull the plug.

Also, if you do move, a lot of extra bedrooms are not optimal with the kids gone (or gone soon). In-laws and other relatives down on their luck often try to move in.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 am

AlabamAlum wrote:How close are you to paying your current home off? If close, I personally wouldn't move unless there is an overwhelming need. No mortgage and an early retirement is nice, and even if you don't retire yet, a paid off house often gives you that power when needed. But if the house's neighborhood is going bad, pull the plug.

Also, if you do move, a lot of extra bedrooms are not optimal with the kids gone (or gone soon). In-laws and other relatives down on their luck often try to move in.
At the current rate we'll have it paid off in less than 3 years. Its more about having a house that fits our needs. I want a first floor master for the years down the road, and our first approach was to add an addition to our existing house and pay as we go, but its turning out that the cost of adding that addition , along with what our house is worth would be at the high end of what we are currently looking at.

I don't have to do anything now, but I think we are in an OK spot to do something, and it would be nice to have a home we picked to live out the rest of however long that is , instead of the home we bought when we had 5 days to choose something on the market. Its a big step and the safe move would be to stay status quo but its something we both want.

Each day that passes that I get into this more however, it seems like status quo may be our only option for the time being.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:37 am

First floor masters are good for when you get old. Have a friend with an artificial hip and a three story house. He put in an elevator. I have a two-story. If I get bad ortho-wise, it's what I am doing. Once you take the expense and aggravation of moving, it almost paid for itself.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

My parents built a downstairs addition (master/bathroom/walk-in closet) that was good for them at the time (and still good for my dad) but it cost close to half what the house is worth and certainly didn't add the equivalent to the value of the house. So from a value standpoint, it probably wasn't the best idea, but from a comfort and ease standpoint, they loved it. They definitely weren't going to move at that stage in their life. Now my dad talks about moving into a condo but he's not going to do it...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:13 am

contractor quoted me $255 a sq ft for the addition

houses here go for $105 - $135 sq ft.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:46 pm

When we moved to Greenville a few years back, we decided to get a house that would work if we decided to stay through retirement. Went from a 5 bedroom house in Charlotte with all bedrooms upstairs to a three bedroom ranch in Greenville with a finished walkout basement that had an additional two bedrooms and living area/bath. Basement works great for just throwing your adult children down during summer when school is out or when they visit. Set up a fridge and microwave and you never see them or have to go downstairs for anything. Same square feet as before, but configured more toward retirement living.

One added plus was that the elderly couple before us installed toilets that are higher than standard. Easy up and down with those.

The only thing I wish I had was more garage space. At my point in life I would like to accumulate some old vintage cars, but don't have the space to put them.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:20 pm

"Basement works great for just throwing your adult children down during summer when school is out or when they visit. Set up a fridge and microwave and you never see them or have to go downstairs for anything."

Ah, the joys of family...

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:38 pm

selling my house moving to Tuscon --live in eastern Kansas Topeka Lawrence area.

House went up for sale sunday 85 sq foot is what were going for--2 people toured it one highly interested the second one got scare off cause of a small black snake by our woodline--of all days that bastard had to show up. openhouse sunday

I don't have to sell it --I know it terrible time to sell after the kids have started school in the Midwest. Just don't know if the housing market takes a dive next spring or not

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm

According to theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli, time is an illusion: our naive perception of its flow doesn’t correspond to physical reality. Indeed, as Rovelli argues in The Order of Time, much more is illusory, including Isaac Newton’s picture of a universally ticking clock. Even Albert Einstein’s relativistic space-time — an elastic manifold that contorts so that local times differ depending on one’s relative speed or proximity to a mass — is just an effective simplification.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-04558-7

The funny thing about some of these new fangled physics theories, aside from the fact that they have now officially reached the realm of untestable metaphysics, is that some of the better ones have been known for thousands of years by folks in the far east.
"For me, crazy as it seems, there is a real relationship between wild, reckless abandon off the field and being that way on the field." - Lawrence Taylor

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am

I had physics in high school. They've probably debunked everything taught to us by now.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 am

I want a first floor master but I'll probably get a condo. Being single I don't need the space.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:18 am

test
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.