Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

The guy at work whose kid is a freshmen phenom at basketball dropped 34 and 32 points in consecutive games at an AAU tourney in Louisville last weekend. On Sunday he played 9 minutes and scored 24 points. Some parents were upset that their kid wasn't getting playing time so the Sunday game the coach would put him in when they were losing and let him get the score back up, then pull him and put the other kids back in.

He was second team all state this year as a freshmen. I have to believe he's going to be a major D1 prospect
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 pm

hedge wrote:So 5 hours (at least) of your time is worth $170?
4 hours away from work, and I got paid anyway, so no money lost there...3 hours of driving and listening to sports talk radio, and what Penny did all weekend, and who he saw...it's a push at worst...
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm

So you cheated your employers. Nice...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:56 pm

You wouldn't say that if you knew my employers...
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm

The taxpayers?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

basically...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 am

I like the NHL model for drafting players. Draft kids when they're 18 and hold onto their rights through college if they decide to go, up to 3 months after they leave college. Players can go pro whenever they want (not during a season) and can hire an adviser/agent that wouldn't affect their "amateur" status. Of course, the NHL has a viable development system, which the NBA has been niggardly about developing. That's the biggest problem here. if the NBA would pony up and create a better minor league instead of mooching off the college game, we wouldn't have this mess.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind if the top high school players didn't play college hoops. The games would still be competitive, maybe even more so than they are now with many of the players staying 3 or 4 years.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:29 am

we're really only talking about 6-8 kids each year anyways.

My concern is the g-league paying the kids that will never get out of the G-League 40K or more and they pass on college just to get some cheap cash in their pocket.

I'd like for them to evaluate a kid at the end of their junior year of high school and the NBA assign a star rating system. Only those 6 or 8 kids will get the NBA 5 star rating which means you would likely be drafted after you turn 18. That would push almost everyone else to college. It might also help with this idea of a kid who scores a 20 on the ACT getting into Duke/Carolina which is horseshit.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 am

LeBron broke my heart last night

indy had their chance

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 am

"It might also help with this idea of a kid who scores a 20 on the ACT getting into Duke/Carolina which is horseshit."

Of course, a kid getting into UK with a 20 on the ACT wouldn't be surprising at all, that's probably just below the average of what they accept anyway...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm

hedge wrote:"It might also help with this idea of a kid who scores a 20 on the ACT getting into Duke/Carolina which is horseshit."

Of course, a kid getting into UK with a 20 on the ACT wouldn't be surprising at all, that's probably just below the average of what they accept anyway...

you say that as an insult but look what your school has to do to compete with us -integrity certainly hasn't been a big issue with Carolina schools for quite awhile now.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:08 pm

hedge wrote:"It might also help with this idea of a kid who scores a 20 on the ACT getting into Duke/Carolina which is horseshit."

No they get the wavier signed off by a psychiatrist stating that he has a learning disability that was never diagnosed in school. I believe that is a one to two year waiver.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:13 pm

eCat wrote:

you say that as an insult but look what your school has to do to compete with us -integrity certainly hasn't been a big issue with Carolina schools for quite awhile now.

Compete is a strong word. I think UNC has fairly dominated UK in the last 5 years.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm

Saint wrote:
eCat wrote:

Compete is a strong word. I think UNC has fairly dominated UK in the last 5 years.
by cheating, but hey whatever

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 pm

eCat wrote:we're really only talking about 6-8 kids each year anyways.

My concern is the g-league paying the kids that will never get out of the G-League 40K or more and they pass on college just to get some cheap cash in their pocket.

I'd like for them to evaluate a kid at the end of their junior year of high school and the NBA assign a star rating system. Only those 6 or 8 kids will get the NBA 5 star rating which means you would likely be drafted after you turn 18. That would push almost everyone else to college. It might also help with this idea of a kid who scores a 20 on the ACT getting into Duke/Carolina which is horseshit.
Baseball's minor leagues are full of kids who won't make it. However, MLB does have the program that pays for college for kids who sign out of high school. Besides, I think there are going to be more than 6-8 kids who get a 5-star rating. There's at least 25 5-star hoops recruits in any given year.

The problem is more with the NBA than anything else. If it owned up to its obligations to institute a viable tiered development system like the NHL and MLB has, kids would have the option that they don't have in basketball.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

eCat wrote: by cheating, but hey whatever
That would be equitable strategy given UK's history (and possible future).

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Saint wrote:
eCat wrote:

I think not. UK is 5-3 against UNC in the Calapari era.

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I got into UK with a 19, and graduated in four years. But I had to go to class and earn my grades, which would not have been the case had I gone to North Carolina. If I had gone to UNC I would have learned something much more important.......how to maximize the welfare system.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 pm

"I got into UK with a 19, and graduated in four years.:

Enough said...