Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Big Orange Junky
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Big Orange Junky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Who ever said you should tax wealth?

If you are wealthy you paid taxes accumulating that wealth. It's not right to tax it again.

Earnings show up on paper too. That's what you tax, earnings.

No I don't mean appreciation such as property value increasing or anything like that, taxes were paid on that when it was sold.

Intrest is earnings etc etc etc.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 pm

the wealthy do a pretty good job of hiding or sheltering incloime in this system
An advantage of wealth
My Dad is my hero still.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 pm

If you are wealthy you paid taxes accumulating that wealth. It's not right to tax it again.
Two strikes.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Income is just an imaginary fucking accounting trick. Income doesnt mean anything, saying "nobody said dey shud tax wealth!" is just stupid, because the alternative was that someone did say they should tax income and there was a reason behind it. The "reason" of course being that it was too hard to do it right and tax wealth, but much easier to just shortcut onto "income" which also had the advantage that you could define it anyway you wanted.

All income is just a derivative of wealth and wealth creation. The entire purpose of government as stated by the founding fathers were to protect life, liberty, and property.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Every citizen has one life, and the government is charged to provide defense, keep the peace, enforce justice to preserve it. Every person has their own liberty and freedom that the government is charged to ensure. Then there's property. The government is tasked with the defense, preservation, protection of the property of the US and all its citizens. Now heres the issue, this the first item where not all men are equal. The US has a lot more to do to protect John Hancock, rich asshole, than John the wharf rat running around the docks at Boston Harbor. The rich should pay in proportion to the property that they own. Using "income" is just a cheap shortcut to simulate the ideal scenario, "income" or "earnings" weren;t used because "thats what's right!" or anything idiotic like that.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:56 pm

it's not often you see aTm so angry.
My Dad is my hero still.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

And frankly, even that power, I believe, was reserved to the states. Its my opinion that the national "income" tax is basically just a big fraud to get around that whole unfortunate direct tax constitution thing.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 pm

And Mook said I was on a roll...
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 pm

aTm wrote:And frankly, even that power, I believe, was reserved to the states. Its my opinion that the national "income" tax is basically just a big fraud to get around that whole unfortunate direct tax constitution thing.
The 16th Amendment gives the federal government the right to collect income taxes.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
My Dad is my hero still.

Big Orange Junky
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by Big Orange Junky » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:28 am

aTm wrote:Income is just an imaginary fucking accounting trick. Income doesnt mean anything, saying "nobody said dey shud tax wealth!" is just stupid, because the alternative was that someone did say they should tax income and there was a reason behind it. The "reason" of course being that it was too hard to do it right and tax wealth, but much easier to just shortcut onto "income" which also had the advantage that you could define it anyway you wanted.

All income is just a derivative of wealth and wealth creation. The entire purpose of government as stated by the founding fathers were to protect life, liberty, and property.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Every citizen has one life, and the government is charged to provide defense, keep the peace, enforce justice to preserve it. Every person has their own liberty and freedom that the government is charged to ensure. Then there's property. The government is tasked with the defense, preservation, protection of the property of the US and all its citizens. Now heres the issue, this the first item where not all men are equal. The US has a lot more to do to protect John Hancock, rich asshole, than John the wharf rat running around the docks at Boston Harbor. The rich should pay in proportion to the property that they own. Using "income" is just a cheap shortcut to simulate the ideal scenario, "income" or "earnings" weren;t used because "thats what's right!" or anything idiotic like that.
Absolutely positively NOT. So would you have the gubment stealing your moms car after it's paid off because they determined that 55 chevy was worth a goodly sum and she has to pay 15000 dollars a year tax on her chevy? That's just stupidity.

Income/ernings are the only thing that make sense. As for it being a level playing field, you can't get any more level than a flat, across the board percentage of earnings. I also disagreeon another point. I bet the gubment spends more on the lower income earners per year than they do for "the rich". The rich don't use social services, the rich don't use the roads more than anyone else, and are more likely to pay for their own kids education etc.

The punnish the producers mentality is nothing more than jealousy is just plain wrong.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:13 am

aTm wrote:Income is just an imaginary fucking accounting trick. Income doesnt mean anything, saying "nobody said dey shud tax wealth!" is just stupid, because the alternative was that someone did say they should tax income and there was a reason behind it. The "reason" of course being that it was too hard to do it right and tax wealth, but much easier to just shortcut onto "income" which also had the advantage that you could define it anyway you wanted.

excriment

it is aTm's logic, that concludes, a retired couple in their early 70s living in Orange County California (in the same 3-bedroom, 2-bath ranch they bought 37 years ago) are now morally obligated to pay $20,000/year in property taxes because the house they raised their children in (that they paid $28,500 for in 1974) is now worth $750,000.

aTm, they don't have $20,000 a year. they have a mortgage-free house, a tiny nest egg, and a social security check. and your horrific, un-American logic, means they are now forced to sell the house they own free-and-clear.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:26 am

Owlman wrote:
aTm wrote:And frankly, even that power, I believe, was reserved to the states. Its my opinion that the national "income" tax is basically just a big fraud to get around that whole unfortunate direct tax constitution thing.
The 16th Amendment gives the federal government the right to collect income taxes.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
I know. It was largely brought about because the rich weren't being taxed on investment income because that could be determined to be a property tax.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 am

I think I figured out why aTm is so testy. He must have lost a bundle in the market.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am

Perhaps he's just dealt with people who owned businesses before. Anyone that owns a business knows that earnings are fungible. Most small businesses only show a profit every 5 years (and that's because if the IRS requires them to show a profit every 5 years). You expense everything you can through the business, something employees can't do. Expense 100% of your health insurance, GPS, automobile, living arrangements in part, etc.

Makes it hard to get money for a home mortgage though, so you have to manipulate your return the year you are applying for a mortgage.
My Dad is my hero still.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati

Post by TheBigMook » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:20 am

[youtube]EPcjkgYS-cU[/youtube]
THE OG SSG

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 am

Professor Tiger wrote:I think I figured out why aTm is so testy. He must have lost a bundle in the market.
I'm sure I did, but I havent checked.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 am

sheesh, where do I start?

1. VAT tax is regressive because poor people pay out more as a percentage of their income.

2. Business owners pay both sides of FICA on their income whereas an employee does not. An employee can deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses based on the same criteria as business owners deduct their business expenses.

3. if grandma and grandpa can't afford the property tax on a $750K home then they should sell. no country can promise the perfect life.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:50 am

An employee can deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses based on the same criteria as business owners deduct their business expenses.
In theory yes, in practice no.
My Dad is my hero still.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am

[youtube]xaG4A0Bm8c4[/youtube]
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:53 am

I bet Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious are proud...

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.