Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

eCat wrote:
hedge wrote:Ironically, democrats have historically always done far more for working class whites than republicans ever have. Of course, Trump isn't really a republican, but i suspect any gains working class whites might make during his tenure are going to more closely approximate what they get under repubs than dems...

Many of those pork barrel southern democrats moved over to the republican party after the civil rights act
That doesn't account for the blue collar whites in the Rust Belt who had voted for Obama before voting for Trump and made him president.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
eCat wrote:
hedge wrote:Ironically, democrats have historically always done far more for working class whites than republicans ever have. Of course, Trump isn't really a republican, but i suspect any gains working class whites might make during his tenure are going to more closely approximate what they get under repubs than dems...

Many of those pork barrel southern democrats moved over to the republican party after the civil rights act
That doesn't account for the blue collar whites in the Rust Belt who had voted for Obama before voting for Trump and made him president.
its easy to understand why - their 401Ks, housing value and job security was a month away from putting them in a bread line. John McCain was a heart attack away from a Sara Palin presidency, and the war was huge lie. Romney couldn't excite the base enough to get them to show up to vote, especially with his 49% comment. Everyone just assumed that a vote for Romney was just a vote for a republican Obama.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 pm

First, working class whites don't have 401K's. They have lotto tickets.

Second, they didn't vote for Romney because he was the living, breathing embodiment of the GOP Establishment that has been screwing them over for generations - long before the Democrats got into that act.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:
eCat wrote:

Hillary was preaching re-education and new job skills while Trump was guaranteeing everyone the same job their pappy (and pappy's pappy) had. Plus he was standing in front of his own big-ass plane with his name plastered down the side. He talked big and he had the bonafides...she was a visionairy-cum-harpy.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:57 pm

A cum harpy? Ewww...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Hillary was preaching re-education and new job skills...
Neither Hillary, nor her fellow Democrats, understand how ridiculous that sounds. Here's what her message actually was, and was taken by blue collars as such:

"We Democrats are here in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia (for as little time as possible) to announce that we are going to destroy all your jobs. The coal industry is doing fine right now, and will continue to do so indefinitely if left alone. But we, who rarely leave Washington DC or New York City or coastal California, are sacrificing your livelihoods because we - the Enlightened Ones - worship the god of Anthropogenic Global Warning. And unfortunately for you, the way you make your living is displeasing to our god. Therefore, both your jobs and your way of life must be terminated immediately. We MUST obey Gaiea.

But don't worry! Even though we Democrats have just taken away your security, your dignity, and your future, as well as that of your children, fear not! We are merciful to you and your inferior worthlessness. In our great beneficence, we will permit you to go to junior college and study green energy. We LOVE that stuff, even though it has never been able to exist without massive government subsidies. Unlike coal.

Aren't we wonderful? Ta ta for now, you miserable ignorant wretches. And don't forget - vote Democrat, for all we've done for you!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm

so Nixon sabotaged the peace talks and prolonged the war to win the presidency.

Holy hell
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 pm

He also ramped up criticism of anti-war protesters as being unpatriotic to whip up his base and distract people from what he was trying to do. Sound familiar?

Tree
Senior

Post by Tree » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am

eCat wrote:so Nixon sabotaged the peace talks and prolonged the war to win the presidency.

Holy hell
An act of treason, just like Reagan's alleged tampering with the hostage crisis.
Butt juice

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 am

as slim a margin as Nixon won by the failure to get south Vietnam to paris cost Humphrey the election

and it sounds like Nixon never stopped--taping conversations and bugging phones as soon as he moved in

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am

In fairness, they said Kennedy and LBJ also kept ramping things up in Vietnam leading up to the election in order not to look soft on communism, b/c both of them felt they wouldn't win their elections otherwise. Obviously, Kennedy was assassinated a year before the '64 election, but LBJ carried on presumably as Kennedy was doing, and for the same reason...

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm

eCat wrote:so Nixon sabotaged the peace talks and prolonged the war to win the presidency.

Holy hell
You never knew this?

I'm a few episodes behind, but that has been known for years
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 pm

crashcourse wrote:as slim a margin as Nixon won by the failure to get south Vietnam to paris cost Humphrey the election

and it sounds like Nixon never stopped--taping conversations and bugging phones as soon as he moved in
The DNC brought in Terry Sanford and Bert Bennett to run the campaign the last month or so. They swore they would have turned it if they had another week.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm

DooKSucks wrote: The DNC brought in Terry Sanford and Bert Bennett to run the campaign the last month or so. They swore they would have turned it if they had another week.
So THAT's who the high school in Fayetteville is named after. I always wondered.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

His house was in the neighborhood I am in now. He was a UNC grad, progressive Southerner before his time, governor, senator, and, sadly, the reason Dook is what it is today

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Haymount?

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Fyetville Turry Sanferd

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:Haymount?
Forrest Lake in Haymount

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 am

give us your tired, your weak, your...wait? how many? fuck that!

-----------------------

Canada has an urgent message for immigrants in the U.S. fearing deportation: Don’t count on us for refuge.

Earlier this month in Los Angeles, a top lawmaker with Canada’s governing party met with members of the local Hispanic immigrant community to stress that people who fear losing their protected status in the U.S. shouldn’t expect automatic reception in Canada—and could be deported to their country of origin if they make the trip north.

“It’s really important before making any decisions that they understand [Canadian] laws,” Pablo Rodriguez, a Liberal member of parliament from Quebec, told the group.
Northward BoundMore asylum claimants have been processed inCanada in the first eight months of this year than inany of the last six entire years.

That message marks a shift for Canada, which has emphasized its friendliness toward immigrants as the Trump administration has moved to tighten U.S. borders. When the U.S. launched its ban on travelers from some Muslim-majority countries in January, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau posted a message on his Twitter account: “To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength.”

Since mid-July, however, Canada has faced an unprecedented influx from the U.S. of some 7,000 asylum seekers, in large part Haitians who feared deportation once their U.S. temporary protection expires. Many of them were among the estimated 58,000 in the U.S. under a humanitarian program that allowed them to stay as the Caribbean island rebuilt after a devastating earthquake in 2010. The Trump administration has signaled it won’t renew the protections once a six-month extension runs out in January.

Now Ottawa is rushing to clarify its own rules: namely, that those who arrive in Canada can be deported back to their country of origin, not just returned to the U.S. Furthermore, if they have been denied asylum in the U.S., they are unlikely to receive it in Canada.

----------------------

it made for good soundbites on the world stage for a newly appointed flavor of the month candidate.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 am

Who knew that the Canadians were such xenophobic racists?