Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by aTm » Sat May 06, 2017 11:39 am

Obamacare did what it was designed to do. Fail. Republicans are dutifully creating TrumpCare which will not only fail but also be portrayed as "free market" somehow and will be used to display the evils of capitalism in healthcare. The result will eventually be universal health care which obamacare was always designed to bring about through failure
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat May 06, 2017 3:06 pm

That's what FOX guy Charles Krauthammer says - that we'll have single payer in five years. It would be a grand irony if Trumpcare made it come sooner rather than later.

On the downside, the quality of care will fall to Medicaid/ VA levels, the wait times for MRI's and other routine tests will be measured in months, R&D will slow to a crawl, and some mysterious government committee will decide whether you deserve lifesaving but expensive treatments late in life.

But on the upside, it will be "free" albeit paid for in the form of higher taxes. The best argument for single payer is it is wildly popular wherever it has been implemented. If you threatened to take it away from a Canadian or European, they'd start a revolution to keep it. So it must not be too bad.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 07, 2017 2:22 pm

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Mon May 08, 2017 9:55 am

Le Pen Crushing Defeat Signals Reality Check for Far-Right - Washington Post

BRUSSELS - The anti-E.U. French leader Marine Le Pen's larger-than-expected defeat Sunday in her nation's presidential election was a crushing reality check for the far-right forces who seek to overthrow Europe. Despite the victories for Brexit and Donald Trump, they are likely to be shut out of power for years.

Given one choice after another since Trump's U.S. presidential victory, Western European voters have delivered mainstream candidates to office despite a pos-November sense that an anti-immigrant populist wave was washing over the Western world. Far-right candidates in Austria, the Netherlands and France have faltered. The euroskeptic far-right party in Germany has collapsed in recent polls ahead of September elections. And an unforgiving election calendar now offers few routes into power for years.

nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 am

meanwhile, Trump is picking SCOTUS
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon May 08, 2017 12:14 pm

and fixing healthcare, building the wall, bringing back jobs and MAGA

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon May 08, 2017 12:30 pm

yep

but mostly picking SCOTUS for the next 4 years
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm

I'd rather have Trump pick than Pence fo sho.

Oddsmakers Predict if Trump Will Resign or be Impeached - AOL.com https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /22048983/

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon May 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Oh boy, another Landslide!!11
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Neither Trump nor Pence is picking federal judges at any level, these guys are:

THE CONSERVATIVE PIPELINE TO THE SUPREME COURT

With the Federalist Society, Leonard Leo has reared a generation of originalist élites. The selection of Neil Gorsuch is just his latest achievement.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... reme-court
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 pm

While I don't agree with everything this guy says, this was a great story about him as a Nuremberg prosecutor.

His energy as a 94 year old is contagious

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 pm

bluetick wrote: Oddsmakers Predict if Trump Will Resign or be Impeached - AOL.com https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /22048983/
The oddsmaker quoted in this article - Ladbrokes - sure nailed the US presidential election:
Those considering placing money on the outcome of the U.S. election can get odds of 2/11 with Ladbrokes and Betfair, which implies an 85 percent probability of a Clinton win.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/26/85-chanc ... firms.html
So I wouldn't bet the farm on their latest odds on an early Trump exit.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 am

"my struggle at Harvard"

SMH

Two days before Courtney Woods dresses in a cap and gown for Harvard’s traditional commencement, she will don a stole made of African kente cloth and address the crowd at a somewhat different event: a graduation ceremony for black students.

Student organizers said the event, called Black Commencement 2017, is the first universitywide ceremony for black students at Harvard and is designed to celebrate their unique struggles and achievements at an elite institution that has been grappling with its historic ties to slavery.

More than 170 students and 530 guests have signed up to attend the ceremony, which will be held May 23 at Holmes Field, near the Harvard Law School campus. The event will feature speeches by black students, alumni, and administrators.

“I can only imagine how special I will feel when I walk across that stage and be able to honor my identity and my struggle at Harvard,” said Woods, who is completing a master’s degree at the Graduate School of Education. “I know this is exactly what students like me need to be inspired as we leave this place as emerging global leaders.”

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 09, 2017 7:49 am

this did make me laugh

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 am

""my struggle at Harvard"

SMH"

If you are SYH at that type of stuff, then you should understand when Stu can't take very seriously your complaints about how bad things are (i.e., your struggles)...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 am

hedge wrote:""my struggle at Harvard"

SMH"

If you are SYH at that type of stuff, then you should understand when Stu can't take very seriously your complaints about how bad things are (i.e., your struggles)...
believe it or not, that isn't the first thing on my mind when I wake up in the morning.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 am

Looks like segregation is making a comeback, and at Harvard of all places.

(Please note I am not complaining. I am laughing.)

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Shrug. I would never expect you guys to acknowledge or believe there was a struggle being Black at an Ivy.

I also wonder why this is news on here. Predominantly White Institutions have always had some form of segregation by its Black students. BSUs, fraternities and sororities and men's basketball teams have been bastions of Black segregation for decades.

The Netflix show Dear White People does a good job with this narrative. It's an excellent show, but I recognize that some neo-flakes feel a certain way about the title and are boycotting it. Ironically, it's not really about laying brown people's troubles at the feet of white people, but the title does a good job of scaring away the people who would miss the point, regardless.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Bklyn wrote:Shrug. I would never expect you guys to acknowledge or believe there was a struggle being Black at an Ivy.
shrug

no...I won't

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Heh. You're the guy who asked what would it take for Black people to vote GOP in larger numbers, and when AA answered with real numbers from real elections and real actions by a real GOP politician, you replied that you didn't believe that would work.

So, yeah, I definitely don't think you'd listen to anything that dealt with the experience and thoughts of Black people, if it didn't fit with your predetermined narrative.