Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by Cletus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 am

Professor Tiger wrote:It'll be fun to watch United try to spin this.

All airlines are crappy, but United is especially so.
This is a bad look for United, no doubt. But, I'm interested in your last point. I always hear how United is the worst of them all but I fly over 100K miles on them a year and have had virtually no problems. I know I get some favorable treatment because I fly so much (rebooking when flights are delayed or cancelled especially but even that is pretty rare) but, in general, it seems like the vast majority of my flights are no issue events. The flights are on time, full but not overbooked, etc. I guess I'm lucky. Now that I said this, my flight on Wednesday will be a disaster.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 am

See, you've been influenced by Don Rickles and don't even know it...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

hedge wrote:See, you've been influenced by Don Rickles and don't even know it...
true
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm

If I can drive somewhere within 7 hours I don't fly.

because of that I have few airlines miles or perks, and in my experience, that makes all the difference in the world. The ability to choose premium seats or even upgrade to first class, board early to get overhead bin space, a special booking line and priority booking over the regular cattle, and in some cases, hospitality suites at the larger airlines with free drinks and finger foods, recliners, etc., When I was gold for Delta (back when gold meant something) I didn't even have to rebook, they would do that for me ahead of time. Now when I fly I think , hey I'm Zone 1, I'll get to get on the plane early and get my stuff in the bin and then you realize they have 6 classes of passengers before they even get to Zone 1. If only I was handicapped!

but for the average joe just trying to get from point A to B, you're nothing and unfortunately in today's environment, the business traveler, because he/she isn't picking up the cost of the ticket and because of the hub environment in which airlines operate has little say so or leverage to change it. Because of that I wish the government would come up with minimum standards for comfort and convenience that have some teeth and are actually consumer oriented, and not written by airline lobbyists.

Until that changes, I just drive and try to avoid the west coast as much as possible. 7 hours gets me to Detroit, St. Louis, Buffalo, Rochester, Chicago and Atlanta which is about 80% of my travel.

It looks like I'll have to go Barcelona this summer and I'm dreading that. Coach for 8 hours. Yippee
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 pm

eCat wrote: It looks like I'll have to go Barcelona this summer and I'm dreading that. Coach for 8 hours. Yippee
Me too. When are you going to be there? I'm there June 18-21.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Cletus wrote:
eCat wrote: It looks like I'll have to go Barcelona this summer and I'm dreading that. Coach for 8 hours. Yippee
Me too. When are you going to be there? I'm there June 18-21.
July 16 - 21. I think the event is at a place called the Portaventura? which I believe is a convention center next to the airport

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by 10ac » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 pm

I've flown most weeks for the last 20 years. Overbooking isn't rare now days but I've never seen anyone forced to leave the plane. They always keep raising the buy out until multiple people try to get it. He bought that seat, he has been given title to that seat (boarding pass) and he's in that seat. I think OI would have to forcibly removed too. You have to pay for your seat in advance and if you change your mind, you don't get your money back.
Let 'er Blow!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 pm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 pm

"Now when I fly I think , hey I'm Zone 1, I'll get to get on the plane early and get my stuff in the bin and then you realize they have 6 classes of passengers before they even get to Zone 1. If only I was handicapped!"

Actually, you can get on the plane as soon as they call the first group, just tell them you sprained your ankle (or whatever) and need a little extra time to board. Most of them even offer that when they're calling the first group...

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 am

All the doctor needed to do was comply and this never would have happened.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 am

I hope he gets rich from this

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:45 am

Bklyn wrote:All the doctor needed to do was comply and this never would have happened.
I was going to make a Rosa Parks joke but given the Florida St thread, I think AA might report me to the Southern Poverty Law Center

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 am

Bklyn wrote:All the doctor needed to do was comply and this never would have happened.
Heh

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 am

Heh @ eCat.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 am

I heard this morning that in China yesterday, 20 million people were viewing that video every 30 minutes

Its the most viral video to date in China.

United has a serious PR problem. They are the largest airline in china (american based )

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 am

United is horrible, but their 777 from ATL to LHR is the best ride for the price.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 am

Comcast and Monsanto CEO's sent a thank you letter to United yesterday

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 am

At the very least, when they realized the guy wasn't going to leave his seat without a fight, they should've tried somebody else who'd leave on their own accord. I doubt cursing and grumbling would've become an internet sensation in the same way as kicking and screaming has...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 am

Overbooking by airlines is an issue. The answer is stop giving full refunds to no-shows. Let them fly on another flight with a "space available" designation. No exceptions.

Either that, or do what Delta did on an overbooked flight I was on. Offer a bit of cash AND a free domestic ticket to anywhere Delta flies. People were lined up trying to get the deal.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 am

What about an app that allows everybody on the plane to put in their bid on what they'll take to get bumped? Then they just take the lowest bidders and it's all voluntary. Kinda like a Dutch auction...