Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 am

hedge wrote:"Legalizing heroin does not change that process in any way. You are coming at it from a stand point of it being a casual recreational drug. Its not."

This is the crux of the problem. Look at the language you use. You clearly think that cigarettes and alcohol are "casual" and "recreational" and I doubt you would even use the term "drugs" when talking about them. But somehow the fact that millions of people die every year as a direct consequence of using tobacco and alcohol and that hundreds of billions of dollars are spent caring for them doesn't stop you from thinking of these vices as "casual" and "recreational". Again, from my libertarian point of view, it doesn't matter if they're "casual and recreational" or, as is really the case, progressively addictive and deadly. People should be able to kill themselves in whatever way they see fit. It's none of the government's or anybody else's business. As long as the real information about all these things is available to everyone (and it is), it's their choice.
its not about the individual though. Society, either thru scientific or empirical data has determined that the cost of cigarettes and alcohol (and its not like there hasn't been an ebb and flow to this) is acceptable while heroin is not. Eastern societies recognized the danger of this drug in the 1700's. In the late 1800's American attempted to normalize it by imposing taxes on its import. Bayer company distributes is as an alternative to morphine. Less than 10 years later they realize the damage its doing and they start shutting it down. In less than 20 years they ban the importation and a few years later they outlaw it completely.

Every major country that has seen heroin introduced into society has outlawed it.

You can't really say - if the person wants to do it, let them, if the result is that person is almost guaranteed to become a burden on society, and in many cases become a threat to society. I think that's the subtle difference between narcotics versus tobacco/alcohol.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I will say this about heroin users. Yes, they do break into houses and do all kinds of things to get that next fix but I could guarantee you that if heroin were legal and cheap, junkies wouldn't bother breaking into homes or committing crimes of that nature. on the other hand, alcohol is legal and cheap and you still see people committing violent crimes (including drunk driving) when using it.

The main damage heroin does, excluding overdoses and the associated crime, is make the user a lazy ne'er do well. That will never be tolerated in America.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Saint wrote:I will say this about heroin users. Yes, they do break into houses and do all kinds of things to get that next fix but I could guarantee you that if heroin were legal and cheap, junkies wouldn't bother breaking into homes or committing crimes of that nature. on the other hand, alcohol is legal and cheap and you still see people committing violent crimes (including drunk driving) when using it.

The main damage heroin does, excluding overdoses and the associated crime, is make the user a lazy ne'er do well. That will never be tolerated in America.
heroin is cheap.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

No, it's not. It might be cheap to score a fix if you're just starting out but within short order, your bill will run into the hundreds for a week.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

You can still get drunk for $10.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:23 pm

"Society, either thru scientific or empirical data has determined that the cost of cigarettes and alcohol is acceptable while heroin is not."

[youtube]1KI3aHxun9M[/youtube]
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

"Every major country that has seen heroin introduced into society has outlawed it."

It was legal in the US for well over 100 years until the prohibitionists decided to shut down everything, including alcohol. That didn't turn out very well...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Saint wrote:No, it's not. It might be cheap to score a fix if you're just starting out but within short order, your bill will run into the hundreds for a week.
well yea, but that's not going to change - they legalize it you ain't getting no bulk discount

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 pm

"You can't really say - if the person wants to do it, let them, if the result is that person is almost guaranteed to become a burden on society, and in many cases become a threat to society."

That is manifestly false, but of course you never see stories about the majority of heroin users who don't cause problems to anyone but themselves. Seriously, if everybody who was using heroin was as bad as what you see on made for TV dramas like Intervention or the local obituaries, I would agree with you. But the undeniable fact that millions of people are using it and there are what?, 10K deaths per year, is proof that everyone who uses heroin is not "guaranteed" to die from it. In fact by those numbers, the odds are very slim that you will. And putting people in jail for it creates far more of a burden on society than treatment, which I'm all for...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I will admit, as Stu said, that heroin does contribute greatly to a general sense of lassitude in its users, and America hates malingerers...

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

eCat wrote:
Saint wrote:No, it's not. It might be cheap to score a fix if you're just starting out but within short order, your bill will run into the hundreds for a week.
well yea, but that's not going to change - they legalize it you ain't getting no bulk discount
I know but there is a difference between the effects of heroin and alcohol.

On a somewhat related note, regardless of all the other shit Trump has going on, if he (through Sessions) tries to go after pot smokers, I think that will end up being the noose that hangs him. That's the most perplexing thing I've read about his policies. You'd think he'd recognize that there's a lot of money to be made by legalizing pot, not by going backwards and prosecuting users, as has been reported.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Sessions is old school Reagan in that regard.

I'd prefer they just focus on 3 or 4 things and stop trying to boil the ocean

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

I am sure Jeff Sessions feels the same way about marijuana as eCat feels about heroin, i.e., really and truly believes that pretty much anyone who smokes weed is guaranteed to become a burden and menace to society. Well yeah, a menace to whatever backwoods baptist society in south Alabama that he's from...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

hedge wrote:I am sure Jeff Sessions feels the same way about marijuana as eCat feels about heroin, i.e., really and truly believes that pretty much anyone who smokes weed is guaranteed to become a burden and menace to society. Well yeah, a menace to whatever backwoods baptist society in south Alabama that he's from...

the difference is I'm right about heroin

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I don't mind you thinking you're right about heroin nearly as much as I mind Jeff Sessions thinking he's right about weed. The worst you can do is make me run laps...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Zach Galifianakis pulled out a joint on Bill Maher's show one time and puffed up (not sure if it was really weed, but the reaction of the other panelists makes me think it was). Maher had him back on a later show to ramp it up a bit (funny reference to Trump as well, way before he was even running for president). I like when he says "I've never done this before"...

[youtube]rbxMD-4-hn0[/youtube]

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 pm

This is the world we live in now

"Sadiq Khan has said he believes the threat of terror attacks are “part and parcel of living in a big city” and encouraged Londoners to be vigilant to combat dangers."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 22846.html

Four in ten British Muslims want some aspect of Sharia Law enforced in UK

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/738852 ... Islam-poll

The report said found that 26 per cent of Muslims did not believe in extremism and 48 per cent would not turn to the police if someone close to them became involved with people linked to Syrian terrorism.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 am

eCat wrote:
Saint wrote:I will say this about heroin users. Yes, they do break into houses and do all kinds of things to get that next fix but I could guarantee you that if heroin were legal and cheap, junkies wouldn't bother breaking into homes or committing crimes of that nature. on the other hand, alcohol is legal and cheap and you still see people committing violent crimes (including drunk driving) when using it.

heroin is cheap.
Damn straight its cheap. And its only been in the last 10 years that the price crashed as much as it has. Hope and Change!

http://trump24h.com/982248/drug-overdos ... -cdc-finds

....and again, in Cincinnati

http://www.wlwt.com/article/9-year-old- ... ng/9164992
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 am

I'm not an expert on such things, but I am curious about the inherent difference between heroin and other hard drugs in their negative impact on society.

Over the years I've talked to countless inmates about their drug experiences, and the vast majority of them were into crack or meth. They all seemed to have the same behaviors as heroin that negatively affect society - burglarizing, robbing, stealing and selling sex to fund their habit. They also spent time in rehab and require a lot of medical attention now due to their past addiction, just like heroin addicts.

So how is heroin worse for society than meth or crack?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am

Professor Tiger wrote:I'm not an expert on such things, but I am curious about the inherent difference between heroin and other hard drugs in their negative impact on society.

Over the years I've talked to countless inmates about their drug experiences, and the vast majority of them were into crack or meth. They all seemed to have the same behaviors as heroin that negatively affect society - burglarizing, robbing, stealing and selling sex to fund their habit. They also spent time in rehab and require a lot of medical attention now due to their past addiction, just like heroin addicts.

So how is heroin worse for society than meth or crack?

I'm not sure anyone saying it is from a detrimental standpoint.

heroin is just plentiful , cheap and potent at the moment - plus it seems to be the path for people when they can no longer get prescription drugs they are addicted to.