Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Bklyn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Most local police authorities are bigly :) against their rank and file calling immigration authorities on people suspected of being in the country illegally. They know that the trust of the police in those immigrant communities starts to erode if they feel that any interaction they have with police could lead to the deportation of them or their loved ones. It harms community policing.

My guess is that is why the officer was under review...because it is departmental policy to not inquire about or pursue immigration status information.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Los soplones obtienen suturas
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 pm

I don't believe we have an official "national language." It's not like we need to have one, anyway.

Don't take this as a love it or leave it comment, but do you really want to live in Europe?
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:I don't believe we have an official "national language." It's not like we need to have one, anyway.

Don't take this as a love it or leave it comment, but do you really want to live in Europe?
I would. And I would go if I could. It's not easy to do.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Cletus wrote:
Toemeesleather wrote:I don't believe we have an official "national language." It's not like we need to have one, anyway.

doesn't seem that hard for Syrians
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 pm

It makes complete sense that an Obamma supporter doesn't mind living in country/state that's headed down the toilet.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:27 pm

eCat wrote:
Cletus wrote:

doesn't seem that hard for Syrians
I'm not fleeing a genocide. Though give it enough time and I might have the refugee route available to me.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't understand the comment. I love where I live (and have lived in Europe before...wasn't my cup of tea, but it was Edinburgh, so maybe it was location). I'm just saying there is no national language codified in US law. I don't think it needs to be either. It's like having laws on the books forbidding Sharia. It's wasted ink. This country has always had people in it that never learned English. They were born speaking Italian, or Hebrew or Spanish and died that way. I normally knew them as someone's "Nana, Bubby or Abuelita." It doesn't matter if we have a national language. We'll still have KTV, Telemundo, Sinovision and other targeted cultural media platforms...but at the end of the day, if you don't speak English, you seriously reduce your opportunity for advancement. There is no need to have a national language because it won't change the behavior of people who live here, or the advertisers and politicians who want to reach them.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Why is in an issue to protect our borders? Every other country in the world has something in place. You know why Libs don't care? It doesn't affect them. It is not in their backyard.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Cletus wrote:

Weird that a country might have strict immigration laws and requirements..... Maybe you should protest!!!
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 pm

I'm not fleeing a genocide. Though give it enough time and I might have the refugee route available to me.

We could use a little genocide around here. I know a few genes I would like to see eradicated.
Let 'er Blow!

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 pm

That's good sass against DS...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 pm

This country has always had people in it that never learned English. They were born speaking Italian, or Hebrew or Spanish and died that way....but at the end of the day, if you don't speak English, you seriously reduce your opportunity for advancement. There is no need to have a national language because it won't change the behavior of people who live here, or the advertisers and politicians who want to reach them.

One difference in the US and Europe is immigrants, at least historically, always assimilated here, which includes learning some English....w/o assimilation you have Balkanism, ie Europe. What you are stating is you want Balkanization, and to a certain extent, the US has allowed more Balkanization in recent decades w/open border policies. Immigration only works when the vast majority of immigrants assimilate....and most immigrants learn, as you state, they climb the economic ladder quicker speaking English.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Yeah, but it often takes a generation or two. In 40 years, all these mexican immigrants will be just as "american" as any child or grandchild of Italian or Irish immigrants became. Assimilation takes more than a couple of weekends...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus

Post by Cletus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:55 pm

BigRedMan wrote:Why is in an issue to protect our borders? Every other country in the world has something in place. You know why Libs don't care? It doesn't affect them. It is not in their backyard.
It's quite difficult to enter the US either legally or illegally. The idea that we have an open border is not grounded in reality.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm

A long-awaited revival is under way in this beleaguered Central Appalachia community where residents see coal as the once and future king.

Trucks are running again. Miners working seven days a week cannot keep up with current demand. Coal mines, long dormant after the industry’s collapse, are now buzzing again with antlike activity.

“We load coal every day for the power plant in Virginia City,” explained Rick, a long-time supervisor for a major local operation who did not want to give his last name. “There's one shipment a week for Georgia Power, and one for Tennessee Eastman.”

The past month has seen a resurgence of the coal industry that once formed the backbone of the region's economy, and locals credit President Trump's aggressive, pro-energy agenda.
coal working Expand / Contract

In Wise County, Virginia, coal trucks are running again. (Johnny Giles)

Crippled by a slew of factors, from changing times, an emphasis on renewable energy, and the Obama administration's harsh penalties on coal-fired power plants, the area's economy took a devastating hit over the past eight years. Many of the people living in these mountains had nearly given up hope that the area could ever recover.

The smaller communities in this county in southwest Virginia, such as the towns of Appalachia, Pound and St. Paul, were the hardest hit, but the ripple effects were felt far and wide.

Prospects changed nearly overnight. President Trump had promised to do everything he could to lift the coal mining industry. Trump began to make good on his pledge last month when he eliminated the Stream Protection Rule, which had placed layers of regulations on the industry

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Cletus wrote:
BigRedMan wrote:Why is in an issue to protect our borders? Every other country in the world has something in place. You know why Libs don't care? It doesn't affect them. It is not in their backyard.
It's quite difficult to enter the US either legally or illegally. The idea that we have an open border is not grounded in reality.
so how many people cross our southern border each year?

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

hedge wrote:That's good sass against DS...
Heh. Far better than the bean/butter bean jokes. They never called me string bean though. Can't figure that one out...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

I don't think border protection is a sticky issue with Dems. Building a wall that will cost a shit-ton, but be of no incremental value to border safety is the issue.

The border does not impact many Blue states (except California and New Mexico). Immigration 100% affects my blue area. That is not only inclusive of home workers or short order cooks that are undocumented from Central America, but also European and Asian students who have overstayed their visa and haven't landed a job that will sponsor them, but don't want to leave. It's more of an issue in my part of town than yours, I bet. We just believe differently in how it needs to be addressed.

Illegal immigration (it's an estimate, obviously) is down, too, over the last decade.