Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 pm

CITE YOUR WORK ECAT!

-12 citation points
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 pm

Wasn't the leak a classic Snowden move?

The administration was sitting on this Flynn information for weeks. At some point, isn't someone compelled to force the hand if Flynn is potentially compromised but still having access to classified national intelligence (it is my understanding that he read the intelligence briefings and then summarized them in the bullet point for POTUS. So, essentially Flynn had control over what Trump knew from the briefings)?

Principle over party is always okay for me.

Also, I saw Rand Paul say tonight that there is too much work to be done for Republicans to be investigating Republicans. What. The. Fuck? This was said in public and on the record. Jesus. We have no shame as a people.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:37 pm

eCat wrote:The United States is much better off without Michael Flynn serving as national security adviser. But no one should be cheering the way he was brought down.

The whole episode is evidence of the precipitous and ongoing collapse of America's democratic institutions — not a sign of their resiliency. Flynn's ouster was a soft coup (or political assassination) engineered by anonymous intelligence community bureaucrats. The results might be salutary, but this isn't the way a liberal democracy is supposed to function.

Unelected intelligence analysts work for the president, not the other way around. Far too many Trump critics appear not to care that these intelligence agents leaked highly sensitive information to the press — mostly because Trump critics are pleased with the result. "Finally," they say, "someone took a stand to expose collusion between the Russians and a senior aide to the president!" It is indeed important that someone took such a stand. But it matters greatly who that someone is and how they take their stand. Members of the unelected, unaccountable intelligence community are not the right someone, especially when they target a senior aide to the president by leaking anonymously to newspapers the content of classified phone intercepts, where the unverified, unsubstantiated information can inflict politically fatal damage almost instantaneously.

President Trump was roundly mocked among liberals for that tweet. But he is, in many ways, correct. These leaks are an enormous problem. And in a less polarized context, they would be recognized immediately for what they clearly are: an effort to manipulate public opinion for the sake of achieving a desired political outcome. It's weaponized spin........

no matter what Flynn did, it is simply not the role of the deep state to target a man working in one of the political branches of the government by dishing to reporters about information it has gathered clandestinely. It is the role of elected members of Congress to conduct public investigations of alleged wrongdoing by public officials.

As Eli Lake of Bloomberg News put it in an important article following Flynn's resignation,

Normally intercepts of U.S. officials and citizens are some of the most tightly held government secrets. This is for good reason. Selectively disclosing details of private conversations monitored by the FBI or NSA gives the permanent state the power to destroy reputations from the cloak of anonymity. This is what police states do. [Bloomberg]

Those cheering the deep state torpedoing of Flynn are saying, in effect, that a police state is perfectly fine so long as it helps to bring down Trump.
Also, maybe Trump shouldn't have shat on them and their "intelligence." They gather information and harm people for a living.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:07 am

hedge wrote:"Our children and (especially) our grand-children are going to HATE US and CURSE US"

That's a certainty in your case...
A solid "A"...well done...
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 am

Bklyn wrote:Wasn't the leak a classic Snowden move?

Principle over party is always okay for me.

With a Trump administration it is.

You guys are talking treason for a single phone call - a phone call where the FBI said no specific laws were broken - were you talking treason or blackmail when the Russians had 34,000 emails from Hillary Clinton?

"Several officials emphasized that while sanctions were discussed, they did not see evidence that Flynn had an intent to convey an explicit promise to take action after the inauguration." - Washington Post

so what are the leaks about? Its trying to take down Flynn for lying about his communication to the Russians as it was relayed to the V.P.

That's the role of the FBI and CIA?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 am

Bklyn wrote:
Also, maybe Trump shouldn't have shat on them and their "intelligence." They gather information and harm people for a living.
seems to me, given what they've just done, he called them out for being what they are.

and don't forget, Chuck Schumer set the stage for this

New Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Tuesday that President-elect Donald Trump is "being really dumb" by taking on the intelligence community and its assessments on Russia's cyber activities.

"Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you," Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow.

I"m not sure what can be done but I bet there will be a cleaning out of spooks now just like the state department or at least an attempt will be made.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:47 am

Ok, so this is the Dems fault. Didn't see that coming.

As far as "treason" talk, unless your talking about the range of opinion across the internet, no one here has called it that. The closest it's been (from my recollection) is it being called "borderline" or "damn near."

What it is is improper and pushing red herrings and false equivalents out there won't change that.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 am

you really want to split hairs on you saying "its bordering on treason"?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:40 am

What if the professor was nonmuslim...

https://mystudentvoices.com/georgetown- ... .wy3hp1c8o

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am

Breaking

Trump Campaign Aides Had Numerous Contacts With Russian Intelligence - NY Times 6 hrs ago

a leak here, an iceberg there..
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

Trump didn't see anything wrong with Wikileaks, in fact he loved them. I'm sure he's OK with all this as well...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

sardis wrote:What if the professor was nonmuslim...

https://mystudentvoices.com/georgetown- ... .wy3hp1c8o
Damn, is that IB?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 am

Trump is losing money everywhere. He's gonna quit sooner than later. His ego can't take this beating. Shamed already.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:26 am

eCat wrote:you really want to split hairs on you saying "its bordering on treason"?
Yes. Menacing is not assault. It is bordering on assault, but not assault. They both are negative, but different.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

So question to the panel:

What do you think of Nordstrom's and other places that refuse to work / carry Trump items?
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am

Haven't thought about it and don't care. It's a business decision, the market will sort it out...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

sardis wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:Who wrote that?
http://theweek.com/articles/680068/amer ... y-worrying
I suspect those who are outraged over this "soft coup" against Flynn weren't quite as bothered when Comey said he might re-open the FBI's investigation on Hilary a week before the election...

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 am

BigRedMan wrote:So question to the panel:

What do you think of Nordstrom's and other places that refuse to work / carry Trump items?
Fine by me. If Ivanka's clothes aren't selling then, they should pull them. Why waste expensive retail space on apparel that doesn't move off the shelf? She should list her shoes on Amazon if she hasn't already. They don't need her and she doesn't need them.

Brick and mortar retail is basically dead (or it will be soon.) Walk through any older mall or strip mall and count all the vacant units with the old "available" signs in the window. Amazon is crushing everyone with the exception of Wal-Mart and maybe Target.

I think the small, mom-and-pop retail, has to think way outside the box more now than ever, if it wants to survive. And I saw an example of this. It is rare that I ever actually enter a mall, but the last time I did, when I wasn't busy counting all the empty/vacated stores, I saw a crowd of teeni-boppers out in front of this little store, yakking, looking at the windows, and for the ones that weren't yakking or looking, they were staring at their little screens. I don't think this particular apparel store was a chain or if it was, not one that I have ever heard. But it was pretty mobbed both out front in the mall hall and inside the store. And it was pretty clear why. The store had no mannequins. They had live human beings as models standing in the windows, wearing the clothes the store was selling. THAT is thinking outside the box. I don't think they were professional models, probably just high school girls who want a basic job standing in the window and not talking to anyone. But because no other store was doing that and being a model is a "cool job", all their friends wanted to hang out at the store and "watch them" while they roamed around the store looking at the clothes.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

I wish you were brick and mortar retail...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:47 am

hedge wrote:
sardis wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:Who wrote that?
http://theweek.com/articles/680068/amer ... y-worrying
I suspect those who are outraged over this "soft coup" against Flynn weren't quite as bothered when Comey said he might re-open the FBI's investigation on Hilary a week before the election...
the irony of that however is that if Loretta Lynch hadn't compromised her credibility by meeting with Clinton on the tarmac, she would have been more engaged to discuss whether it was prudent for Comey to send that letter. Instead she had to take a hands off approach that gave Comey free reign to do what he thought was was his charter (not that I believe stating no reasonable judge would conclude wrong doing was in his charter either)

secondly, while you can argue that Comey was being a loyalist to Trump or the Republican party (hard to imagine since Trump dogged him), what is happening now is more concerning

What if the spook community is revolting because they don't want normalized relations with Russia? The Military Industrial complex, along with the spook community's livelihood could very well be based on the idea that we have a known quantity as a superpower threat. Maybe they are leaking because they just want to shit on Trump - or maybe they are leaking because the have their own agenda regardless of who is president or our foreign policy.

Is Kucinich a nutcase? I don't know. I know the dude has bit some conspiracy theories in the past.

[youtube]_-9nJzJF8Rc[/youtube]