Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Saint » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:42 pm

I don't care about DeVos. We homeschool our kid. But I would like to get a tax break for that shit since I'm poor.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:01 pm

eCat nailed it. With education, no amount of homeschooling or private schooling insulates your child from a community that is not properly supported by a decently functioning education system.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Dude, you ought to come to this little hick town in eastern NC and see for yourself how bad it is already. I'm all for public education but you'll never fix stupid.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:04 pm

[tweet]829007910277636097[/tweet]
“There’s a state senator in Texas that was talking about legislation to require conviction before we could receive that forfeiture money,” Eavenson said.

“Do you believe that?” Trump replied.

“And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed,” Eavenson added.

“Who is that state senator? Do you want to give his name? And we’ll destroy his career,” Trump said genially, in what I think the White House will probably pass off as a joke.
http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump ... 1792092006
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Saint wrote:Dude, you ought to come to this little hick town in eastern NC and see for yourself how bad it is already. I'm all for public education but you'll never fix stupid.

doesn't sound like you're all for public education
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Saint wrote:Dude, you ought to come to this little hick town in eastern NC and see for yourself how bad it is already.
NOAP!

(RANDOM ASIDE: I never stop in South Carolina after dark if I ever drive down to Georgia. I gas up in Charlotte and drive straight through. WTF is up with the no street lights on the highway? It's just pitch black and quiet. That shit just looks like an intro scene of Mississippi Burning)

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Bklyn wrote:
Saint wrote:Dude, you ought to come to this little hick town in eastern NC and see for yourself how bad it is already.
NOAP!

(RANDOM ASIDE: I never stop in South Carolina after dark if I ever drive down to Georgia. I gas up in Charlotte and drive straight through. WTF is up with the no street lights on the highway? It's just pitch black and quiet. That shit just looks like an intro scene of Mississippi Burning)

you New Yorkers
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Yeah, gas is 15 cents cheaper

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 pm

"I don't care about DeVos. We homeschool our kid."

And yet he's still bullied...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 am

Lol...that was funny. Not quite Steven Wright, but solid one line-age.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 am

Bklyn wrote:
NOAP!

I rarely go south of North Carolina. There's not much there.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:55 am

eCat wrote:
Bklyn wrote:
NOAP!

you New Yorkers
City slicker. Guilty as charged. Going to my grandparents' farm in Georgia is no better. Dark as shit. Bugs everywhere. Cars covered in pollen in the morning during the Spring. Crickets screeching like a maniacal orchestra string section. Only reason why I'm not scared there is bc everybody in that podunk town knows my family.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 am

Saint wrote:
Bklyn wrote:
NOAP!

I rarely go south of North Carolina. There's not much there.
Fuck you.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:05 am

" Going to my grandparents' farm in Georgia is no better. Dark as shit. Bugs everywhere. Cars covered in pollen..."

Brook reports from Georgia:

[youtube]MP8USm7sABI[/youtube]

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 am

here' what schools spend every year to educate kids per state

http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/c ... -rankings/

ACT scores per state

http://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scores- ... s-and-lows

90% of education budgets comes from state and local funds while the feds provide 10 % of the funding

no child left behind is now obsolete--replaced by every student succeeds act which places testing of kids at various ggrades under state management instead of being established by the feds

devoss and the feds have much less influence on your kids education--its much more likely your state establishes guidelines/voucher programs or management for charter schools in the future

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 am

So Trump yesterday stands at the mics and says the news media isn't reporting the fact that America's murder rate is the highest in 47 years. Naturally the usual firestorm erupted because that's so false that it's mind-numbing.

Somebody has to get to this guy and remind him that the campaign is over and that he can't make up these wild lies and run off
to the next town gathering of cross-eyed loyalists. That he's now stuck in the WH and he basically is the employee of 360 million Americans...and this crap doesn't cut it anymore.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am

this all boils down to people that wanted status quo - they may not have been particularly excited about everything but they were happy with the general direction - that doesn't necessarily fall along party lines. Some of the more extreme Bernie factions felt they aligned more closely with Trump than Hillary, and I'm certain there were a fair number of moderate conservative so concerned with the extremism of Trump that they felt safer with Hillary.

But for those that weren't happy with status quo, they were intent on real change - not some political slogan (although MAGA apparently struck a nerve). For the conservatives, they branded the GOP mainliners as GOPe - establishment who basically were the type like Marco Rubio who ran on a Tea Party ticket and the moment he got to Washington, he turned into the old guard. People who voted for Trump saw Washington as a single party who were growing more and more blatant about their hypocrisy of supposedly representing their voters but never enacting any change or progress forward.

Setting aside the Bernie people because I don't feel I can speak for them, the tea party people , the millennials who identify with the Alt-Right, the Reagan democrats and blue collar guys - they all have been doing a slow burn since John McCain was chosen - and McCain , in no surprise to anyone wanted a lifelong Democrat as his V.P. choice until the party told them they would revolt. Then you get the father of Obamacare in Mitt Romney running and he's just as big of an insult to them as McCain. Then you have Cantor and Boehner who are talking about a mandate from the voters and they're going to give Obama whatever he wants. McConnell was the only guy of the old guard - and he is a complete slimeball - but he understood enough and was in a position to say I"m not going to work with this president - and that gave him barely enough credibility with the voters to win re-election. He shouldn't have because he is a complete son of a bitch but he did and I fault Kentucky voters for doing it.

I can remember 20 years ago polls in regards to immigration showed that 70% of Americans wanted a secure border and stopping the flow of immigration from Mexico - but over time the polling numbers changed - not the sentiment of the people - and those people have been ignored - Bush was a amnesty guy and had to back off facing a revolt from within the party.The issue is in regards to immigration, its a huge lie to say that Americans on the whole want amnesty or whatever - its just that in 20 years of inaction, they want something so softening their positions and being asked "do you really think we can deport 20 million people" became inevitable, not because they wanted to soften but they were ignored - because the GOPe wants to keep flooding the market with cheap labor and the Democrats want a life line of voters.

So my point in all of this is - for those of you that keep losing your shit over everything that Trump says or does - and expect the Trump people to suddenly wake up and agree with you, its not going to happen in the near future. The reason why is because Trump moves the needle. Yea, he says crazy shit, he exaggerates, he has an ego that even by D.C. standards is out of control but for the past 20 years our options have been people that were essentially Democrats of the JFK/Lyndon B. Johnson era saying they are republicans- they are conservative.

The voters don't care because to he is the *only* and I mean only person that has gone in there and said, this is what the people who voted me in want and this is what we're going to do. And I'm going forward on this without a lot of hand holding, meetings or procrastination. I may lose in court, I may get sued, I may piss off a bunch of people, but I'm doing what I'd say I'd do with the support of my voters.

in the words of Obama which I think we all knew would come back to haunt him - Elections have consequences (and consequently his justification for his slew of executive orders, funny how Obama supporters have suddenly taken an interest in the abuse of power in the executive branch now isn't it?), - now the people that vote for Trump want revenge, they want their pound of flesh - and they make no distinction in Democrat or GOP - as they feel both have failed them.

When your mindset is like that, you're not really going to give a shit about the nuance or execution. They want a wrecking ball, they want people in Washington to feel the pain - and they aren't particularly concerned about the people that benefit from policies or an agenda from previous administrations. That sounds harsh but they feel like they've been ignored while the country moved an agenda they didn't support forward without any negotiation or sympathy for their position. They offer none in return thru Trump - and when their president is talking about putting America First - and by implication that all Americans will prosper from that - they don't have any particular desire to dig any deeper for validation in being OK with their support or lack of empathy.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 am

crashcourse wrote:here' what schools spend every year to educate kids per state

http://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/c ... -rankings/

ACT scores per state

http://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scores- ... s-and-lows
Utah is "fucking" with the system. They have the lowest spending per pupil on education (lowest by FAR!) less than a third of what New York State pays, and yet their ACT scores in Utah are basically.... average. I think they rank 31 out of 50, pretty close to the middle. Depending on how you want to look at that education data (based solely on partisan politics) determines how you evaluate why it is that Utah gets so much education bang for its buck. But I tend to think it is purely demographic. Comparing Utah as a "whole" against other states:
  • Utah has one of the lowest illegitimacy rates in the country
  • Utah has one of the highest, if not the highest percentage of white population
  • Their high school drop-out rate is low
  • LDS tend to be extremely active in getting involved in the PTA/PTO and helicoptering their children in school
  • And unlike Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Florida, or California, they don't have to spend nearly as much on ESL
I was educated in the state that (overall) performs #1 in the country from an education standpoint (Massachusetts) and they pay an incredible amount of money to their teachers. $15K a year per pupil is huge spending. Teachers complained they weren't getting the money, well, now they are getting it. But I seriously doubt that outspending Utah by (roughly) 150% generates 150% better result. Maybe 10% or 15% better I can give you. Its on the margins where the largest gains and losses are realized. And areas with huge pupil spending but with huge marginal cases (like Washington DC) you are going to see shitty education results regardless of how much money you throw at the problem. Of course, any politician with a "D" next to his or her name can't say that about education spending.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 am

"They want a wrecking ball, they want people in Washington to feel the pain - and they aren't particularly concerned about the people that benefit from policies or an agenda from previous administrations."

And you wonder why people are rioting...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 am

hedge wrote:"They want a wrecking ball, they want people in Washington to feel the pain - and they aren't particularly concerned about the people that benefit from policies or an agenda from previous administrations."

And you wonder why people are rioting...
no I'm not

The difference between a protestor and rioter however is the police should be able to beat the shit out of a rioter.