aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by aTm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Fuck Kansas and Kentucky.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:18 pm

[tweet]825421110745366529[/tweet]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:42 pm

hedge wrote:
Saint wrote:I did, about a year ago, to prove that Hunt basketball was competitive in the county throughout the early '80s. I did not, however, come across a story that chronicled Shack being heckled by 2 courtside louts in a game at Hunt. It's too bad, though. It would have made a great sidebar.
You could've seen when Hunt beat Kinston at home. Maybe we beat them our junior and senior year, but my memory is that it was Larry Carter's team that beat Kinston when we were courtside heckling Shackleford, which means we would've been juniors and Shackleford a saphmore...
Nope. it was when Bean was the star at Hunt in '84.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 pm

well this game isn't going well. UK just isn't getting better. I'm not sure whats going on but the natives will be restless tonight

I thought this team had their shit together early on.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:52 pm

TBH, I can't keep from getting a big grin when Cal gets out coached. Said it many times before... A+ recruiter, C- bench coach. Tonight a good example. Absolutely NO adjustments. Too stubborn to play zone.. can't do anything but stomp the floor and yell 'RUN'......Tired of this one and done crap. Next season the same. No more highlights for Hedge.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 pm

The good news is that there is no team (like there ever is this time of year) that you can point to as a favorite. I still like the teams with solid PGs to do well in March but teams are laying eggs left and right.

I will say that Pastner should be ACC COY. I thought Ga. Tech was one of the worst major teams in the country a month ago. Now they seem capable of finishing in the top half of the ACC.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Saint wrote:The good news is that there is no team (like there ever is this time of year) that you can point to as a favorite. I still like the teams with solid PGs to do well in March but teams are laying eggs left and right.

I will say that Pastner should be ACC COY. I thought Ga. Tech was one of the worst major teams in the country a month ago. Now they seem capable of finishing in the top half of the ACC.
If Pastner ends up being ACC COY, then how f'ing bad is Memphis?

What is Tubby doing down there right now?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:03 pm

The past 2 games whats happened with Kentucky is someone told Cal that in order to win he needs to get it into Bam because Bam is shooting 70%, so Cal just abandons what we've been doing averaging 20 point wins and tells his guards to get it into Bam every trip down the court. And its the worst secret in basketball, so they double team Bam, he doesn't know what to do and shoots 60% from the free throws.

Bam Adebayo isn't the reason we beat UNC. Fox and Monk are.

Somebody better set Cal down and tell him we can't play half court offense feeding Bam in the paint.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Duke and Kentucky are now facing the downside of one and done.

Since the makeup of your team will be completely different next year, once you come to the conclusion your team has no legitimate shot to be a title contender, then you're just deflated for the rest of the season.

Not that its any different for any other fan who watches their team tank , but when its one and done its like - fuck it, you just shut it down. You're not emotionally tied to the players that much. Its like getting a race car for the season and then blowing the motor. Instead of having to rebuild the motor, you don't care because you know you're getting a completely new car next season.

I don't give a fuck if Bam learns to shoot free throws on Jan 29. He won't be a 77% free throw shooter by the second week of March. I don't care if Monk and Fox can learn to shoot against a zone. They won't be doing it by March.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm starting to treat UK basketball just as I do UK football... I simply don't care anymore mainly because of all this OAD crap and Calipari's stubborness. Sean Miller will be a refreshing replacement.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:42 pm

There's really more downside that upside with OADs in terms of winning a title. However, you got what you wanted in that UK has largely been a contender each year since Cal started taking them. I certainly wouldn't count UK out of the title chase at this point, although it seems like they will have to grow up considerably in the next 6 weeks. Duke, OTOH, has a big problem in that there's no real point guard in Durham. That problem isn't going away.

Neither Duke nor UK have the type of freshmen each had in the seasons both won championships. At least not throughout the lineup. Duke's group so far is extremely overrated. Still time to change but it's getting late.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Saint wrote:There's really more downside that upside with OADs in terms of winning a title. However, you got what you wanted in that UK has largely been a contender each year since Cal started taking them. I certainly wouldn't count UK out of the title chase at this point, although it seems like they will have to grow up considerably in the next 6 weeks. Duke, OTOH, has a big problem in that there's no real point guard in Durham. That problem isn't going away.

Neither Duke nor UK have the type of freshmen each had in the seasons both won championships. At least not throughout the lineup. Duke's group so far is extremely overrated. Still time to change but it's getting late.

in our case is defense. Cal said this team had the ability to be the best defensive team he's ever had. They are lost on defense.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah, but that can improve from Jan. to March. I think UK is still a contender, along with 10-12 other teams.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:37 pm

I am convinced otherwise.

We've had 4 marquee games. We are 1 -3 with UNC being the only significant win. We've lost twice in Rupp this year to ranked teams.

That isn't going to change in 28 days.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:41 pm

Maybe not but it's been done before.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:21 pm

"We've had 4 marquee games. We are 1 -3 with UNC being the only significant win."

And that took the best game by a single UK player in this century (and maybe ever), the type of game that, bitterly for UNC fans, he's not come close to replicating since...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 pm

hedge wrote:"We've had 4 marquee games. We are 1 -3 with UNC being the only significant win."

And that took the best game by a single UK player in this century (and maybe ever), the type of game that, bitterly for UNC fans, he's not come close to replicating since...
your revenge will be watching your team play longer in the tournament than ours

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 am

this is the year of the at large selections knocking off most of the top seeds

wouldn't be surprised if every #1 seed goes down before the final four

if bragg isn't reinstated KU isn't deep enough to make it

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Whats the deal w/ the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead signs you see everywhere?

Some FSU student has it at every game - and I saw it in the Kentucky pick above.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:33 pm

my 4 seconds of fame on ESPN in 1991 at a Vanderbilt game

[youtube]JaokjGkO6dE[/youtube]