Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:50 pm

I thought you were making your final stand.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:57 pm

180hp seems low.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:180hp seems low.

Available Engines:
V6 231ci 1x2bbl 110 hp 190 lb-ft
V8 265ci 1x2bbl 120 hp 205 lb-ft
V8 301ci 1x4bbl 135 hp 235 lb-ft
V8 301ci 1x4bbl 150 hp 245 lb-ft
Turbo V8 301ci 1x4bbl 200 hp 340 lb-ft
V8 305ci 1x4bbl 145 hp 240 lb-ft
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Wow. Just sooo low. My current car has 300hp. Not a sports car.

Never was a gear head, so that shocks me.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm

hedge wrote:OK, now I see you admitting that you're just not comfortable with it, which is fine. But the idea that the government shouldn't criminalize shit simply b/c it makes some folks uncomfortable is pretty major tenet of liberalism. Come to think of it, it's almost a cornerstone principle of what I consider to be true conservatism. How bout that?

Also, props on rendering the "bom Bom BOM" perfectly...
I think you guys are focusing on the idea that I think transgender people are the sexual predators. That isn't what I'm thinking. Its about making it easier for a pervert to achieve access that wasn't allowed before. Personally I'm not comfortable with the idea, but I don't believe that transgender people are pedophiles or sexual predators any more than the general public.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Wow. Just sooo low. My current car has 300hp. Not a sports car.

The reason the corvette was redesigned is because the Buick Grand National - a family coupe had more power off the line than GM's premiere sports car.

The late 70's and early 80's were horrible for American horsepower due to EPA and CAFE standards

The 1980 Comaro started at 115HP and maxed at 190HP with a monster 350CI engine

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Frontline was excellent tonight.

Great timeline of the Obama administration, what was happening in congress, and the country.

The day after Romney lost the election - Trump trademarked "Make America Great Again".

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Frontline usually delivers good product.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:28 pm

eCat wrote:
I think you guys on focusing on the idea that I think transgender people are the sexual predators. That isn't what I'm thinking. Its about making it easier for a pervert to achieve access that wasn't allowed before. Personally I'm not comfortable with the idea, but I don't believe that transgender people are pedophiles or sexual predators any more than the general public.
Even that threat seems vastly overplayed. I would think that a sexual predator is likely not going to wait in a ladies room in drag so he can rape or molest someone and, frankly, what's to stop them from doing it now?

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:58 pm

It is a little hard to believe that a guy who is willing to commit sexual assault would be stopped by a sign on a door.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 pm

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:Wow. Just sooo low. My current car has 300hp. Not a sports car.

The reason the corvette was redesigned is because the Buick Grand National - a family coupe had more power off the line than GM's premiere sports car.

The late 70's and early 80's were horrible for American horsepower due to EPA and CAFE standards

The 1980 Comaro started at 115HP and maxed at 190HP with a monster 350CI engine
Just amazing. I drive a 2016 Infiniti Q50. According to the websight it has 328hp.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Google is telling me that my 2004 Mercury has 240 hp...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 am

I can see AA laughing and clapping his hands over his recent discovery.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:54 am

Saint wrote:
eCat wrote:
I think you guys on focusing on the idea that I think transgender people are the sexual predators. That isn't what I'm thinking. Its about making it easier for a pervert to achieve access that wasn't allowed before. Personally I'm not comfortable with the idea, but I don't believe that transgender people are pedophiles or sexual predators any more than the general public.
Even that threat seems vastly overplayed. I would think that a sexual predator is likely not going to wait in a ladies room in drag so he can rape or molest someone and, frankly, what's to stop them from doing it now?
some guy threatening to beat the shit out of him if he see a male going into the ladies room

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 am

Cletus wrote:It is a little hard to believe that a guy who is willing to commit sexual assault would be stopped by a sign on a door.
Well those No Guns Allowed in our store signs work all the time, so what is your problem???
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 am

My impression is that transgender folks are attempting to look, dress and behave like the gender of the "normal" person that you wouldn't look twice at when entering "their" bathroom. I just don't see a lot of bearded bikers using "I am transgender so I'm allowed to go in here" as an excuse to maraud thru women's bathrooms looking for women and girls to molest. Not saying they haven't done the latter, but I don't think they tried to use being transgender as their alibi to get in the door...

FWIW, and maybe it's only b/c I simply overlooked it as a detail in the story, but I really don't remember ever reading about a case of molestation or rape where the perp was targeting the ladies room as his preferred site of crime. I mean, if you want to molest a woman, I just don't see the women's bathroom in WalMart or Target or anywhere else as being very attractive for such activity...

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 am

personally I think its more of an orientation and age issue.

Im not sure what the right age is to declare yourself transgender/gay/hetero but having 8-15 year old kids come out as transgender in the midst of development of all their sexual charactaristics is the issue.

its either all or none

all kids get indoctrinated to using a unisex bathroom or if we separate sexes then whatever your born with you use that bathroom until your old enough to declare you are transsexual about the time you can vote and fight and join the military--but there's something unsettling about a 10 year old declaring he is a female--joint womens athletics, using women faculities, wearing women clothing etc.

at least wait until you have developed your sexual charactaristics before you tell everybody what you are.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 am

Please let us know when that happens for you...

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm

I have not read into the science on what delaying of gender identification (for those outside of classical classifications) does to the psyche. I can't comment on it. I do know that having a pre or post op trans women use a male bathroom has impacts up and down the internal and external spectrum. I also don't think it's ever been an issue, so it seems to be targeting based on fear of the orientation; not some fear for sexual criminality.

Anyway, my man Uncle Ray saying past is prologue...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:28 pm

economic populism includes ideas reigning in corporate misbehavior, raising minimum wage, etc - its the idea that the elite (defined by wealth) are separated from the common people and the common people must rise up against it.

so is Ray talking about populism in the past tense being over taken by nationalism? Obama has used the terms redistribution of wealth and has pushed for raising the minimum wage. He created a national health care program primarily to assist those who were unable to afford health care, he bailed out GM and pushed Cash for Clunkers to revitalize the auto industry in an attempt to keep jobs/kickstart the economy. So I'm not sure, if this video is recent, why this man is suddenly saying there are parallels to today and 1930's populism. At the same time Europe, under the union enforcement mandated austerity measures. That has led to nationalism. They aren't demanding the European Union distribute the wealth, they are demanding to be autonomous in their decision making. Brexit is much more about nationalism than populism as the Brits aren't particularly fond of foreigners moving about freely in their country and their national economy dependent on the whims of a foreign agency.

Maybe Ray meant to talk about rise of Nationalism that swept thru Europe in the last 30's that led to fascism. Populism kicked off with the election of Obama as a reaction to the financial crisis we had in 2007'/08 but even recognizing he context is Europe (which may be thinly veiled as a shot to Trump) he seems to be about 8 years behind the curve in discussing the rise of populism.