aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Uncle Bud

Post by aTm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:49 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/je ... 0fhp8390r9

This obviously plays in to the "black people like fried chicken" stereotype, and it angered a lot of people. The comments on the YouTube page of the commercial are littered with people criticizing Rice for participating in this ad.

"Jerry just set black people back 437 years," one user wrote. "Thanks, Jerry. We're slaves again."

The commercial made its way to Twitter, too, where users were especially harsh.
This is one stereotype I don't get, although naturally Ive heard mention of the stereotype many times. Fried chicken is fucking delicious and everybody loves it, right? Is this only a stereotype because black people showed up in the north and every southern food was a "black thing?"

Also, I guess chicken places have to use white people only in their ads?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 pm

It would have been better if he was shilling for Treacherous Chicken.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

the helmet is made out of waffles
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 pm

I think it's being a bit over-sensitive. Popeyes national spokesperson is a black woman and Rice's first commercial was without any complaint. So, it's not about the endorsement, it's about the helmet. It just looks dumb, not stereotypical...in my opinion.

I think white people came up with the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype to make black people self-conscious about eating it. Trying to keep all the good shit for themselves! Another example of the man keeping us down.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 am

Even chinks like flied chicken...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 am

Bklyn wrote:I think it's being a bit over-sensitive. Popeyes national spokesperson is a black woman and Rice's first commercial was without any complaint. So, it's not about the endorsement, it's about the helmet. It just looks dumb, not stereotypical...in my opinion.

I think white people came up with the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype to make black people self-conscious about eating it. Trying to keep all the good shit for themselves! Another example of the man keeping us down.
still, they better have paid Rice a shitload of money
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 am

Having grown up in the rural south, I never really understood the fried chicken/watermelon stereotype whenever I saw/heard some reference to it until I was 13 or 14. Hell, we had fried chicken for lunch every Sunday (unless that Sunday was after a holiday, in which case we had hash, ugh) we ate lunch with my Grandmother. Every year, I would be at a bunch of summer events that would invariably involve eating watermelon.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Also, when I moved to the Bay Area, I discovered that "soul food" out there is what most people in the South eat.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 pm

They are the same. Those people that migrated from the south looking for industrial jobs, fleeing oppression or starved out because of the boll weevil are the same people who cooked this food for all southerners. Soul food is southern. The only difference would be some of the slave food...like chitterlings and othe offal that slaves were given and had to make edible to survive.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:14 pm

I have dined on chitlins more than once. I am a scot. We eat sheep lung, we are not scared of a bit of innards as a meal.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Dude, plenty of angry, old Trump voters in the South love chitlins, souse, pigs feet and all that mess.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I know...both of your points (and I lived in Edinburgh in 1999). I'm saying those foods were slave food in the antebellum south. Today they are "soul food delicacies." Pigs feet, hog mawls and chitlins were not consumed by people of means.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:23 pm

I get your point, but I would say more than slave food. It is the food of people who had no other choice: eat it or go hungry. Slaves, Sharecroppers, Scots, Irish, the dirt poor of Appalachia, etc.

Changing direction...

Sousemeat (and headcheese) is good. And, that is actually used at some fancy michelin-starred places. Difference is, they call it by the French name. Pate de tete.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Bklyn wrote:I know...both of your points (and I lived in Edinburgh in 1999). I'm saying those foods were slave food in the antebellum south. Today they are "soul food delicacies." Pigs feet, hog mawls and chitlins were not consumed by people of means.
from the rooter to the tooter! The whole pig.....

[youtube]Viai9bgo5KM[/youtube]

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I get your point, but I would say more than slave food. It is the food of people who had no other choice: eat it or go hungry. Slaves, Sharecroppers, Scots, Irish, the dirt poor of Appalachia, etc.

Changing direction...

Sousemeat (and headcheese) is good. And, that is actually used at some fancy michelin-starred places. Difference is, they call it by the French name. Pate de tete.
Poor white people? Now Ive heard everything!
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Yep, most people in the South were not of means. Too bad poor whitey didn't have the intelligence or resolve to do something about that. Must be a genetic thing.

I once ate at a Georgetown bar/restaurant called Au Pied du Cochin but didn't look for pig's feet or souse. My dad would ooh and aah and smack his lips when he took the souse from the fridge and ate it on saltines. He'd ask my sister and me if we wanted it and we would shriek in terror and flee. It looked like a congealed porkfat salad festooned with fingernails and gristle.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

There is a famous eatery in NOLA called Cochon Butcher. Some friends and I dining there once and the chef sent some an amuse-bouche of "fromage de tete" over. It was gobbled up. When the wife of a friend found out it was headcheese and what headcheese was...she turned pale and became sick.

Good times.
Last edited by AlabamAlum on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:34 pm

"Hell, we had fried chicken for lunch every Sunday (unless that Sunday was after a holiday, in which case we had hash, ugh) we ate lunch with my Grandmother. Every year, I would be at a bunch of summer events that would invariably involve eating watermelon."

That's true enough. Still, it's probably a good thing you and most other ostensibly white southerners don't adhere too strickly to the one drop rule...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm

No doubt.
— Abraham Lincoln

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Did they eat chitterlings/chitlins in Appalachia?

I thought only the Chinese fucked with all that mess?