eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:16 pm

sardis wrote:
crashcourse wrote:hope the sequel between rogue and the original features lots of darth being true darth. his last scene kicked ass
The next one is between Rogue and the original? What's left to tell? They showed Lea at the end of Rogue being a young princess which is who she is at the beginning of the original.

they still have at least 5 more death star blowing up stories
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55 pm

The ewoks sucked but I liked those little jabbering scavengers with the weird eyes in the original one.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:03 am

What about Greedo?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm

sardis wrote:
crashcourse wrote:hope the sequel between rogue and the original features lots of darth being true darth. his last scene kicked ass
The next one is between Rogue and the original? What's left to tell? They showed Lea at the end of Rogue being a young princess which is who she is at the beginning of the original.
Rogue One was a stand alone and there will be no sequel. It tied in directly to IV/A New Hope.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Dr. Nostron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 pm

I liked Rogue One alot - last 30 mins or so stands w/ best of the entire series

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I stand with those who wish for your last 30 minutes...

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:05 pm

thats not bad - I expect stronger stuff come the new year

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:45 pm

unlikely

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:04 am

Alexa teaching kids early

[youtube]r5p0gqCIEa[/youtube]
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:58 am

So I watched Rogue One. It was probably the most satisfying Star Wars experience I remember from a first viewing in a theater. It wasn't a really great film or anything, but honestly it doesn't have to be amazing for me to enjoy, just don't serve me up a sack of shit with lightsabers.

[spoiler="Rogue One"]Like the prequels, the characters were kinda shitty. I liked the Jyn Erso character, but I expect for most she was pretty fuckin bland and boring. Her father tells her to run away, and Forest Whitaker picks her up. That's like her entire backstory. Kinda at its heart this is more of a "war movie" so it would have been a lot better if she was always in a military unit with all of these secondary characters we are never gonna really give a shit about. Her sparse backstory would be better, if in the first act we get more of a "squad building" type feel, of seeing this team in action together, rather than an hour of shit happening before you even have "the gang" all together and ready to go. The military unit could have served as a "character" that we cared about, as it was, the audience pretty much has to dig into what they already know and place "The Rebel Alliance" as the thing that they care about, and the problem with that is the audience already knows the Rebel Alliance wins. We already know they get the plans. We should have seen all the characters that made up the squad fighting together from the beginning, perhaps only adding in the imperial pilot when it became necessary to move on to the main objective, or the whole squad including Jyn should have been fighting from the beginning to help this pilot defect, or something. Then when we see them all essentially dying for each other it means something more than just "yay, alliance"

The climax/final act of the movie is great. It felt far more like "Star Wars is back" to me than the action sequences of Episode VII. You don't need a bunch of lightsabers to have a nice space battle. The final battle for the plans is almost basically a callback to the Battle of Endor from Jedi, except it looks like an actual war down on the planet rather than playtime with teddy bears.

I thought some of the callbacks were unnecessary and distracting. Did we need to see Vader dress down someone? We already know he's kind of a bad ass. We could have lived with just his cameo at the end. R2D2 and C3PO...Jesus Christ, just make one fucking film without shoving these guys down my throat, please. Princess Leia's character also gets shoved into this, in what also would have been a "shove down the throat moment" but actually that scene, for at least a few weeks, at least gets a response because Carrie Fisher croaked.[/spoiler]

tl/dr version...characters kinda sucked, very nice space battle, satisfying film

The film did unsettle me about the future of the industry. We already have people continuing to remake shit (like Star Wars, Ghostbusters, etc) because things that already have strong brands sell well. What I learned in this movie is that not only will we have retread stories in 10-20 years, but its apparently also gonna be all the same asshole actors "brought back to life" as CGI. Michael J Fox is going to be playing Marty McFly in a film 50 fucking years from now, just watch.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:22 pm

[spoiler="Rogue One"]I also did like that they managed to retcon in a relatively believable explanation for why the Death Star has a fatal flaw that blows the whole thing up. It also did an ok job of retconning in a fill for the plot hole of why Vader wants the plans, rather than just blowing up the ship the plans are on, since it seems that with the engineers all dead, the archives destroyed by Tarkin, that the Empire really needs to get their hands on the plans too.[/spoiler]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Also, despite my disdain above of some Star Wars callbacks, I think that callbacks to Spaceballs, of which there were a couple that were clear, were fucking brilliant, because now those elements from Spaceballs now appear to be parodies of this film made years later.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am

when your friends just want to fuck with you

https://g.redditmedia.com/AuaNMWoU5-gye ... 489f18ae3e

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 pm

people are praising this 2 year old twin for saving his brother

the way I see it, he's the reason the brother is fucked up

first, he climbs on to the other drawer and topples if over on top of him

then, he steps on the damn dresser and crushes the kids head. By that time, the kid is like 80% out from under on his own

and finally , he doesn't lift the dresser off of him, he slides it over using the kids shoulder as a roller.

[youtube]EkcnDJwX0ok[/youtube]

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Well, the kid didn't seem much worse for the ware when it was all over with...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:13 pm

nah, I wouldn't have posted if the kid was really hurt

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:31 pm

what was he selling?
Let 'er Blow!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:34 pm

He's lucky the drawer didn't shut on his head and snap his neck...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:17 am

10ac wrote:what was he selling?

took me a minute on that one

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 am

Finally saw The Revenant last night. I enjoyed it, but I don't see how DiCaprio won an Oscar for that role. Not saying he was bad, but to me that's just not the type of role that anybody should win an award for. Hell, he just laid there almost dead for more than half the movie and the other half he was stumbling around trying to stay warm and find food, you can see that on any episode of Naked and Afraid and at least then you get to see blurred out tits. Now then, the cinematography, costumes, make-up, all that, sure, those should've won awards (or at least been nominated), and hell, I can see DiCaprio at least being nominated if there weren't many other good films that year, but I just don't see how that is an Oscar-winning acting performance. Pretty good movie, though. Wish I had seen it in the theater...