Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:37 am

Businesses "discriminate" legally all the time. Here in Atlanta, the movie industry places adds looking for extras who are "young black male" (maybe to play Malcolm X) or "elderly Asian female" (perhaps to play a Chinese Empress). I could go down there and try out, but I know I will never get that part because I am not what they are looking for. I don't care. It doesn't cause me to have an existential crisis.

AA, if you or I walked into the office of the Rainbow Coalition and applied for a responsible job, what would be the chances of being hired? Or we walked into Vogue Magazine demanding a photo shoot, even though we're old codgers, would we get it? If a wheelchair bound person rolled into an Army recruiting center, how would that work out?

I never lost sleep about that. Businesses provide services. Customers negotiate for those services. Sometimes they come to an agreement. Sometimes they don't. If a gay couple wants a florist to do their wedding, but that florist doesn't want to, even if it is because they have halitosis, then there is no agreement and the couple is free to find a vendor with whom they can reach an agreement. It only freaks out the insecure.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:59 am

Professor Tiger wrote:I ask again: back in his first term as president, when Obama agreed that gay marriage shouldn't even be legal, much less required to be obeyed by all, was he a hate-filled, religious nut job, homophobic bigot whose career deserved to be destroyed?
Your great-great grandpappy had a similar axe to grind with Lincoln. He never got over it either.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

"A business owner has the right to sell his services to whomever they want. If they don't want to sell to black people, that isn't discrimination."

Actually, that's the literal definition of discrimination...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:07 am

Professor Tiger wrote:Businesses "discriminate" legally all the time. Here in Atlanta, the movie industry places adds looking for extras who are "young black male" (maybe to play Malcolm X) or "elderly Asian female" (perhaps to play a Chinese Empress). I could go down there and try out, but I know I will never get that part because I am not what they are looking for. I don't care. It doesn't cause me to have an existential crisis.

AA, if you or I walked into the office of the Rainbow Coalition and applied for a responsible job, what would be the chances of being hired? Or we walked into Vogue Magazine demanding a photo shoot, even though we're old codgers, would we get it? If a wheelchair bound person rolled into an Army recruiting center, how would that work out?

I never lost sleep about that. Businesses provide services. Customers negotiate for those services. Sometimes they come to an agreement. Sometimes they don't. If a gay couple wants a florist to do their wedding, but that florist doesn't want to, even if it is because they have halitosis, then there is no agreement and the couple is free to find a vendor with whom they can reach an agreement. It only freaks out the insecure.

You can't seriously be comparing you not being selected for a Vogue photoshoot as analogous to restaurants and hotels refusing to serve black people.

And the "just find another business that will serve you but don't make the racist business change" is exactly the same thing they said during Jim Crow. "Tell them niggers to find some store owner who wants nigger money!"

This whole argument makes me sad. We're better than this. But I can't argue this any more. Thankfully, times are changing, regardless of a few pockets of holdouts.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 am

"You can't seriously be comparing you not being selected for a Vogue photoshoot as analogous to restaurants and hotels refusing to serve black people. "

I'm pretty sure he's serious...

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am

Now if only innocentbystander would drop in with his appeals to overturn the 19th Amendment this day would be complete

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:54 pm

When this man said these words just a few years ago, was he a right wing lunatic homophobic religious nutcase hate monger?

[youtube]4ONvxJOcus4[/youtube]

This is almost exactly what many of us believe today, but the Left freaks come it when we say it.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm not sure what the point of that is.

"Well, you may say we are wrong, but would you say Obama was wrong back in 2004??!"

Yes, I would. He was wrong. No doubt.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Please compare the reaction to those words: hysteria today vs. the quiet acceptance then. That''s called a double standard.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. Like when the Dem's go postal whenever they THINK someone MIGHT be a racist, but they had no problem with having a former Grand Kleagle of the KKK as their Maiority Leader for decades.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm

I don't see the hypocrisy. He was for civil unions and not gay marriage back then. Today, there are many people who still feel that way. I see no hysteria against the proponents of civil union - then or now. Did I miss something recently?
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm

The leaders of the Maoist Cultural Revolution hated the idea of civil unions. They saw it as "separate but equal" and would accept nothing short of marriage.

The hypocracy is obvious. Obama was against gay marriage before he was for it. The left gave Obama a pass before he had his conversion experience after his reelection. Even today, the harshest critics hint they can bring themselves to say about the old Obama's position is a whispered"it was wrong." But today, there is no similar "tolerance" for those of us who accept the position of the old Obama. We get the usual parrot speak of racistsexistbigotedhomophobicmisogynist etc etc etc that they never dreamed of calling the old Obama.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:10 pm

"I see no hysteria against proponents of civil unions, then or now."

Okay, let's do a little experiment:

Hey AA, hedge, JD, Tick, etc. I am in favor of civil unions for gay people, that give them all the same legal rights as marriage. It they still can't get married.

Am I now a great guy, or am I a racistsexistbigotedhomophobemisogynist?

Let's sit back and see the results of the experiment.
Last edited by Professor Tiger on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:21 pm

I disagree with civil unions. I am pro gay marriage. But I don't go nuclear on those who support CUs.
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:25 pm

I was for civil unions. Or domestic partnerships, whatever the label. The jump to same-sex marriage doesn't bother me in the least...let gay couples pay the marriage tax like everybody else.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:The leaders of the Maoist Cultural Revolution hated the idea of civil unions. They saw it as "separate but equal" and would accept nothing short of marriage.
The Maoist Cultural Revolution was a strictly Red China phenomenom btw, merely a nation-state glorification of Mao Ze Dong. Don't wear a badge with Mao's pic on it and you get thrown in prison, that sorta thing.

I know those kind of inane references make sense in your own mind...but maybe that's where they ought to stay.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Sorta like "don't perform gay weddings and your church loses its tax exemption and your pastor gets investigated for hate crimes? Sorta like that? You know that's coming. They already tried something like that in Houston.

If I were king, this would be my proposal. It is currently used by other countries.

Completely separate the civil and religious aspects of marriage. The state would only do civil unions, and these would be the only arrangements that have legal effect - property, inheritance, tax exemptions, all of it. Houses of worship would do marriages as they see fit, but those marriages would have no legal effect outside their own communities.

That seems fair.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm

I understand government has to step in and tell the various religions they cant regulate or outlaw certain practices we now accept as ok insocety

I think government has overstepped the limits by outlawing any religious displays on govt buildings, and trying to outlaw any reference to "god" in money/judicial/even religious practices like Christmas

always amazes me that the press and the libs will step on your throat if you try to restrict certain garb or desecrate allah in any way or persecute against a muslim from bowing to the mecca multiple times a day--but a nary a word about the fact we don't say merry Christmas, don't have nativity scenes, don't say the pledge of allegiance you might offend somebody.

I don't care what religion you are you should have a right to practice your faith as long as your not hurting anybody --problem is seems like too many what the publicity of acting like they're hurt

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:22 pm

I say Merry Christmas, you can say Merry Christmas, I assume, too. Who is keeping you from that? My HoA allows nativity scenes, as well (I don't have one, though). I could say the pledge of allegiance if I wanted (it's kinda creepy and has spotted roots, though)....anyway, Who is keeping you from all of this?
— Abraham Lincoln

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

"When this man said these words just a few years ago, was he a right wing lunatic homophobic religious nutcase hate monger?"

By a few years, you mean 12+? Some people's positions evolve. Some people's don't...

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:54 am

And politicians pander. Who knows what his belief is?
Let 'er Blow!