Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Bklyn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm staying out of all this talk. I will only say...

1. I was surprised THAT Trump won, but not surprised WHY he was elected
2. I know a girl who was groped by Trump a few years ago...at her grandmother's funeral
3. I know people that have done business with Trump and their rule was that no one was to be in a room alone with Donald. It wasn't for any groping, but because he would agree to something in a room and then come out and say the exact opposite.
4. One of my mentors has been in NY real estate for over 30 years and knows Trump personally. When discussing Trump, this was my mentor's response "Donald is not a racist, nor an anti-Semite. He is, however, totally unconcerned about details and has no moral core. He only cares about money and how he is perceived. He's a bit of a sociopath."

The stories from my mentor and the girl I know (I won't call her a "friend" but she's very close friends with one of my close friends, so the story is 100% legit) are ones I never bother to talk about. Even this whole election, after November 8th, I stayed away from discussing. Those who voted for Trump know exactly what they were voting for. Nothing I say will change that. Even if we fall into a deep recession in 2 years because of his policies, those that voted for him won't ever lay it at his feet. It's wasted energy, imo.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Heh, the american people have only digested some 10,000 versions of that story from the msm and still couldn't stomach Hillary......outside LA, SF, Chicago and NY.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:30 pm

And the other 450+ largest counties in the country. But you're right, the prairie dwellers and those still receiving mail at an RFD mailbox (like yourself) couldn't stomach Hillary...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm

He's a coastal elite, bubble living billionaire...so discount his views accordingly.

========================================================================
President-elect Donald Trump will last no more than four years in the White House, a period when corporations and Wall Street will retain the upper hand over the struggling workers who helped elect him in a populist wave, bond manager Bill Gross of Janus Capital Group said on Wednesday.

In his monthly investment outlook, "Populism Takes a Wrong Turn," Gross also said "there is no new Trump bull market in the offing," and that global diversified investors should be "satisfied" with 3 percent to 5 percent annual returns.
"The Trumpian Fox has entered the Populist Henhouse, not so much by stealth but as a result of Middle America's misinterpretation of what will make America great again," Gross wrote.

"[Trump's] tenure will be a short four years but is likely to be a damaging one for jobless and low-wage American voters," Gross added. "I write in amazed, almost amused bewilderment at what American voters have done to themselves."
Gross became the world's most famous bond fund manager at Allianz’s Pacific Investment Management Co., where he ran the PIMCO Total Return Fund and worked until 2014, when he joined Janus.
He now oversees the $1.7 billion Janus Global Unconstrained Bond Fund.

In his outlook, Gross said he did not vote for the Republican Trump or Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, and admitted that Clinton probably would not have done much better redistributing wages toward the working class.

He said it was "doubtful" that Trump's plan to repatriate huge corporate profits to the United States for infrastructure spending would succeed, saying that a similar effort in 2004 resulted in large stock buybacks, dividend payouts and corporate bonuses, but no noticeable pickup in investment.

Gross said Trump's policies mark a "continuation of the status quo," and that government could step in with a "Help America" jobs program to bolster labor in ways that overleveraged, cost-conscious corporations might not.
Regardless, Gross said "populism is on the march" and could last for decades unless workers' share of gross domestic product reverses its downward trend. Trump's immigration, tax and trade policies might not promote that outcome, he said.
"Global populism is the wave of the future, but it has taken a wrong turn in America," he wrote.

"Investors must drive with caution, understanding that higher deficits resulting from lower taxes raise interest rates and inflation, which in turn have the potential to produce lower earnings and P/E (price-earnings) ratios," Gross added.
Gross' fund through Monday returned 4.5 percent this year, outpacing 68 percent of its peers, according to Morningstar Inc data. Janus last month announced a plan to merge with London-based Henderson Group.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:08 pm

The Dow indexed mutual fund I invest in is at 5.8%.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Bklyn wrote:I'm staying out of all this talk. I will only say...

1. I was surprised THAT Trump won, but not surprised WHY he was elected
2. I know a girl who was groped by Trump a few years ago...at her grandmother's funeral
3. I know people that have done business with Trump and their rule was that no one was to be in a room alone with Donald. It wasn't for any groping, but because he would agree to something in a room and then come out and say the exact opposite.
4. One of my mentors has been in NY real estate for over 30 years and knows Trump personally. When discussing Trump, this was my mentor's response "Donald is not a racist, nor an anti-Semite. He is, however, totally unconcerned about details and has no moral core. He only cares about money and how he is perceived. He's a bit of a sociopath."

The stories from my mentor and the girl I know (I won't call her a "friend" but she's very close friends with one of my close friends, so the story is 100% legit) are ones I never bother to talk about. Even this whole election, after November 8th, I stayed away from discussing. Those who voted for Trump know exactly what they were voting for. Nothing I say will change that. Even if we fall into a deep recession in 2 years because of his policies, those that voted for him won't ever lay it at his feet. It's wasted energy, imo.
That pretty much describes the Clintons as well.

And Presidents don't cause recessions.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:20 pm

You don't think fiscal policy impacts the economy?

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 am

The left has themselves to blame for this as much as anyone.

Even now they don't get it. Cletus joins in on the chorus who intends to double down on their approach

"Maybe if they just verbally shat upon the stupid, uneducated, hateful, and soon-to-be-extinct white masses in flyover country who put Trump over the top, they could have shamed enough of these irredeemable rubes into voting for a party and an ideology that clearly hates their guts." -

its funny they expect those Trump voters to tolerate every view or concept the left comes up with yet they have zero tolerance for them. Their lack of tolerance is going to bite their ass in the next 2 or 3 years with GOP owning Washington.

To a very large extent the GOPe bought into that concept. They were clearly out in the open that Trump voters didn't represent them... ..until they realized Trump voters just elected a man president and gave them a majority in congress when they had no ability to do so. Now those GOPe folks are all about making America great again as long as they get to keep their jobs.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:05 am

Neither side respects these "rubes" you speak of.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am

Bklyn wrote:You don't think fiscal policy impacts the economy?
It does effect the extent there is growth or decline, but is not material enough to change the trajectory downward, imo. You look at the last 3 recessions, I doubt you could pinpoint a fiscal policy that caused it. Recessions will always come no matter what. Gross' prediction may be true because we are due for one. Fiscal policy can dictate who suffers the least in a recession or benefits the most in a recovery, but not the recession itself.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:35 am

Bklyn wrote:Neither side respects these "rubes" you speak of.
a bunch of those rubes on the right voted for Obama over John McCain.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:11 am

french team interviews brazilian tribes and shows them scenes of the world around them, records their reactions.

Hit the CC button when the video starts to see the closed captioning. Its worth watching, especially when they blame white man for climate change

[youtube]eafOkWXjqjc[/youtube]

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 am

eCat wrote:
Bklyn wrote:Neither side respects these "rubes" you speak of.
a bunch of those rubes on the right voted for Obama over John McCain.
Let's face it, a rube is a rube no matter who he votes for...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am

I was the one who said Trump would never win. I didn't think America was that dumb.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 am

Quite frankly I am tired of being wrong just because I am white. I am wrong for a lot of other reasons, not just the color of my skin.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 am

pence vs biden in 2020

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 am

Trump's not gonna run again?

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Howard Marks, the founder Oaktree Capital, riffed on the automation topic earlier this year, pointing out that US manufacturing output is near an all-time high, even though US manufacturing employment is down 37% since the peak in 1979.

"Perhaps if the government wants to preserve jobs it should just outlaw productivity gains," he said. That, of course, isn't feasible. There is likely a long-run benefit to making processes more affordable and quicker.

Rather, the point is that refocusing the labor market on the jobs and skills that will be needed in the future is a productive way to allow innovation and keep Americans employed.

That kind of policy was barely mentioned in Trump's campaign, In fact, the president-elect hardly mentioned the issue of technological advances destroying jobs at all, so it appears to be a huge blind spot in his proposed economic plan.

Trump sold the fantasy of millions of factory and mill jobs coming back to America, no question. It was a hell of a strategy...make it abundantly clear that he was no politician, but merely a terrific businessman and dealmaker who'd put middle America back to work again in the jobs they were used to. All of the crazy talk, the pussy-grabbing and 3am girly tweets played into that narrative, whether it was intended to or not....a Donald Trump administration wasn't going to be politics as usual. When everyone else was making noise about retraining for the 21st century, the Donald knew the secret was to look backwards.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:44 pm

(softball) => Labor is becoming obsolete...

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm

(softball) => living-wage labor is becoming obsolete...

ftfy
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"