Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Bklyn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:33 pm

I purposefully avoid bringing up Brown because it causes so many unnecessary rabbit holes. I do think there were problems in that shooting but it's not worth hitching the cart of policing of minorities to that horse.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 pm

sardis wrote:
Bklyn wrote:Don't conflate police shootings with police shootings of unarmed or not-in-a-commission-of-a-crime shooting (like Spacer's examples).

I don't easily frustrate. But, it is increasingly difficult to hear people excuse every use of police force and dismiss the complaints of people who say things are not justified.

Also, Tamir Rice did not look like that...and it still shouldn't matter. Under no circumstance was the kid reasonably breaking a law when he was killed by that officer.

Jr Spacer probably should have dressed different, or pulled his pants up higher, or answered the police questions better, or maybe softened his facially expression, or maybe not sat menacingly, or maybe something else...
Tamir Rice and other like incidents, rightfully, draw anger from the African-American community, and, no doubt, policing across this country needs to be reformed. However, trumpeting the likes of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray where it was later revealed police weren't in the wrong are a travesty and tarnishes BLM's credibility to the public. There are plenty of incidents to bolster BLM's cause.
Then choose John Crawford III. Then choose Jordan Davis (which, in fairness, was not done by police...so maybe don't choose him). Then choose Levar Jones. Then choose Walter Scott. Then choose Jonahtan Ferre
that's what I was going to say - why is the black community investing their resources on Mike Brown, Freddie Gray , Syville Smith and others? Its not that their lives don't have value, but its pretty much common sense, if you're going to fuck with police, its not going to be a good outcome for you.

It only dilutes the deaths of those names mentioned by Brooklyn, and it certainly erodes support for it being a valid cause. I see it on Facebook daily.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm

eCat wrote:
I wonder how many of those sensationalized cases involved cops shooting blacks in white neighborhoods?
What constitutes a white neighborhood?
eCat wrote:I think that's a great question for Bluetick
I'm guessing- and I could be wrong - eCat lives in a white neighborhood. Aka the opposite of a black neighborhood.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:06 pm

bluetick wrote:
eCat wrote:
I wonder how many of those sensationalized cases involved cops shooting blacks in white neighborhoods?
What constitutes a white neighborhood?
eCat wrote:I think that's a great question for Bluetick
I'm guessing- and I could be wrong - eCat lives in a white neighborhood. Aka the opposite of a black neighborhood.
[img2]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/30964925.jpg[/img2]
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm

But not

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 pm

"In the county where I live a black person gets challenged for being in a white neighborhood, either by a deputy or a rent-a-cop or a neighborhood watcher."

I often get challenged when I'm in a black neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure it's b/c I'm looking for drugs...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Bklyn wrote:Don't conflate police shootings with police shootings of unarmed or not-in-a-commission-of-a-crime shooting (like Spacer's examples).

I don't easily frustrate. But, it is increasingly difficult to hear people excuse every use of police force and dismiss the complaints of people who say things are not justified.

Also, Tamir Rice did not look like that...and it still shouldn't matter. Under no circumstance was the kid reasonably breaking a law when he was killed by that officer.

Jr Spacer probably should have dressed different, or pulled his pants up higher, or answered the police questions better, or maybe softened his facially expression, or maybe not sat menacingly, or maybe something else...
Jeans and a sports coat and his pants weren't sagging. Perhaps use lightening cream
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:24 pm

sardis wrote:

Tamir Rice and other like incidents, rightfully, draw anger from the African-American community, and, no doubt, policing across this country needs to be reformed. However, trumpeting the likes of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray where it was later revealed police weren't in the wrong are a travesty and tarnishes BLM's credibility to the public. There are plenty of incidents to bolster BLM's cause.
Michael Brown, it was not proved that police were in the wrong any more than OJ was proved innocent. There was not enough to take it to trial and part of that was that the perpetrator was allowed to wait to give a police statement days later after he had seen all the video and testimony and could tailor what happened to that testimony. Plus, the Justice department has singled out that police department for it's treatment of minorities. As for the family getting money for the murder of their child, that is a civil penalty. That is not criminal penalty.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:28 pm

As for shooting of an unarmed white person, happened this past year just north of Baton Rouge. Kid in the back of the car from a white guy fleeing from the police. Young white kid was killed. Those police were arrested within a week (coincidence which I don't think mattered, both of the police were black)
My Dad is my hero still.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:57 pm

"A grand jury was called and given extensive evidence from Robert McCulloch, the St. Louis County Prosecutor, in a highly unusual process. On November 24, 2014, McCulloch announced that the St. Louis County grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson.[14] On March 4, 2015, the U.S. Department of Justice reported the conclusion of its own investigation and cleared Wilson of civil rights violations in the shooting. It found that forensic evidence supported the officer's account, that witnesses who corroborated the officer's account were credible, and that witnesses who had incriminated him were not credible, with some admitting that they had not directly seen the events.[13][15] The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Wilson shot Brown in self-defense."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:05 pm

pay particular attention to the second scenario and imagine that is Michael brown other meth head and tell me you wouldn't hesitate to shoot as the protester did killing an unarmed man

http://ijr.com/2015/01/229273-8-protest ... or-haters/

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10 pm

https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/f ... rown_1.pdf

"Because Wilson did not act with the requisite criminal intent, it cannot be proven beyond
reasonable doubt to a jury that he violated 18 U.S.C.§ 242 when he fired his weapon at Brown. "

"For the reasons set forth above, this matter lacks prosecutive merit and should be closed"
My Dad is my hero still.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 pm

A black cop shot a black criminal who wouldn't drop his gun and there are riots?

I do not get that. Not even a little bit, other than some folks were just wanting an excuse to riot where they could break things, steal, and hurt people.
It's going on day 5 and neither the city of Milwaukee nor the Wisconsin DOJ have released the footage of the shooting, and that's got a lot of people wondering if the video shows what the officer claims it does. The mayor now says he only saw a "still" from the video. If the raw footage exonerates the officer then it would surely calm the unrest going on in Milwaukee as well - so what's the holdup?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:32 pm

To be fair ive had my ass beat by cops before. They didn't like it when I hit them in the face with snowballs.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Seven Chicago cops who backed the story of their fellow cop who shot Laquand McDonald 16 times have been recommended for termination. They all reported that the deceased advanced towards officer Van Dyke, waving a knife and getting within 10-15 feet before Van Dyke opened fire in self defense.

[youtube]zLL08i7jYQM[/youtube]

Van Dyke is charged with 1st degree murder and his partner also has been charged; the other 7 may face charges. Had this one dashcam video not been a witness to the shooting...well, those cops would have had the last word.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Assholes didn't even check him out when he was down.
Let 'er Blow!

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:58 pm

they were busy reloading to put another magazine in him

seriously that kid was walking away and the officers were walking twords that kid

they should be charged with homicide

that kid was never gonna put that knife down and would have kept walking away in my opinion

what do you do with someone with a knife not following police instruction walking down the middle of a 4 lane road

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:09 pm

One was charged with murder one.

Wiki actually has a good page on him:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shootin ... n_McDonald
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Yeah, the boy's life was so fucked up and rife with challenges from Day 0. You know it's bad when the day of your murder may not have been the most traumatizing/worst day of your life.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 pm

No doubt.

About the shooting: if the police had tried to apprehend and he had made a threatening motion with his knife in proximty, the shooting woulda been righteous. As it was, he shot him 9 times in the back as he was walking away and then all of them lied about it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.