Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:00 pm

hedge wrote:"Thankfully, the chances of that happening in our lifetimes are slim."

What are the chances you'll get slim in our lifetimes?
I could do gastric bypass or lap band. Otherwise, it's unlikely...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Good lord:

WILLIAMSTOWN, Ky. (AP) — A 510-foot-long, $100 million Noah's ark attraction built by Christians who say the biblical story really happened is ready to open in Kentucky this week.
Since its announcement in 2010, the ark project has rankled opponents who say the attraction will be detrimental to science education and shouldn't have won state tax incentives.
"I believe this is going to be one of the greatest Christian outreaches of this era in history," said Ken Ham, president of Answers in Genesis, the ministry that built the ark.
Ham said the massive ark, based on the tale of a man who got an end-of-the-world warning from God about a massive flood, will stand as proof that the stories of the Bible are true. The group invited media and thousands of supporters for a preview Tuesday, the first glimpse inside the giant, mostly wood structure.
"People are going to come from all over the world," Ham said to thousands of people in front of the ark.
The ark will open to the public Thursday and Ham's group has estimated it will draw 2 million visitors in its first year, putting it on par with some of the big-ticket attractions in nearby Cincinnati.
The group says the ark is built based on dimensions in the Bible. Inside are museum-style exhibits: displays of Noah's family along with rows of cages containing animal replicas, including dinosaurs.
The group believes that God created everything about 6,000 years ago — man, dinosaur and everything else — so dinosaurs still would've been around at the time of Noah's flood. Scientists say dinosaurs died out about 65 million years before man appeared.
An ark opponent who leads an atheist group called the Tri-State Freethinkers said the religious theme park will be unlike any other in the nation because of its rejection of science.
"Basically, this boat is a church raising scientifically illiterate children and lying to them about science," said Jim Helton, who lives about a half-hour from the ark.
Ham said the total cost of the ark surpassed $100 million, a far cry from a few years ago, when fundraising for the boat was sluggish and much larger theme park plans had to be scaled back.
Millions of people first learned about plans for the ark during a debate on evolution between TV's Bill Nye "the Science Guy" and Ham in early 2014.
A few weeks later, a local bond issuance infused tens of millions of dollars into struggling fundraising efforts. And earlier this year, a federal judge ruled the ark could receive a Kentucky sales tax incentive worth up to $18 million while giving a strict religious test to its employees.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/nation-world ... 343077.php

hedge
Legend
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:33 pm

"I could do gastric bypass or lap band."

That would take as much labor as the new Hwy 70 bypass around Goldsboro...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Saint wrote:Good lord:

WILLIAMSTOWN, Ky. (AP) — A 510-foot-long, $100 million Noah's ark attraction built by Christians who say the biblical story really happened is ready to open in Kentucky this week.
Since its announcement in 2010, the ark project has rankled opponents who say the attraction will be detrimental to science education and shouldn't have won state tax incentives.
"I believe this is going to be one of the greatest Christian outreaches of this era in history," said Ken Ham, president of Answers in Genesis, the ministry that built the ark.
Ham said the massive ark, based on the tale of a man who got an end-of-the-world warning from God about a massive flood, will stand as proof that the stories of the Bible are true. The group invited media and thousands of supporters for a pretty review Tuesday, the first glimpse inside the giant, mostly wood structure.
"People are going to come from all over the world," Ham said to thousands of people in front of the ark.
The ark will open to the public Thursday and Ham's group has estimated it will draw 2 million visitors in its first year, putting it on par with some of the big-ticket attractions in nearby Cincinnati.
The group says the ark is built based on dimensions in the Bible. Inside are museum-style exhibits: displays of Noah's family along with rows of cages containing animal replicas, including dinosaurs.
The group believes that God created everything about 6,000 years ago — man, dinosaur and everything else — so dinosaurs still would've been around at the time of Noah's flood. Scientists say dinosaurs died out about 65 million years before man appeared.
An ark opponent who leads an atheist group called the Tri-State Freethinkers said the religious theme park will be unlike any other in the nation because of its rejection of science.
"Basically, this boat is a church raising scientifically illiterate children and lying to them about science," said Jim Helton, who lives about a half-hour from the ark.
Ham said the total cost of the ark surpassed $100 million, a far cry from a few years ago, when fundraising for the boat was sluggish and much larger theme park plans had to be scaled back.
Millions of people first learned about plans for the ark during a debate on evolution between TV's Bill Nye "the Science Guy" and Ham in early 2014.
A few weeks later, a local bond issuance infused tens of millions of dollars into struggling fundraising efforts. And earlier this year, a federal judge ruled the ark could receive a Kentucky sales tax incentive worth up to $18 million while giving a strict religious test to its employees.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/nation-world ... 343077.php
They picked the right spot for this abomination.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:41 pm

hedge wrote:Actually, with regard to #1, I expect nothing less of political leaders. Machiavelli covered all of this centuries ago...
I hated that book and the poli sci class that I had to read it in
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

SHOOTING IN BATON ROUGE

I drive past this place every day doing the school year after I drop my son off. I know the dead guy peripherally. He and I go to the same barber where like every one else, we've argued about sports. He's known as the CD guy because every day he's out there at this convenient store selling CD's.

2 videos
[youtube]jBZPCDqymyo[/youtube]

and

[youtube]oIqE7Jv_0Vk[/youtube]
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:52 pm

There will be more video as the police were reportedly wearing body cams and the store also had video
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Ken Burns: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a4 ... als-trump/

"The Republican Party has been extraordinarily successful at getting many groups of people to vote against their self-interest. Evangelicals are voting for Donald Trump. What part of Donald Trump reminds you of Jesus Christ? Trump lusts after his own daughter on national radio, talks about women's bodies and breasts in such a disparaging way, and mocks them. How is this in any way Christian? When you make the "other" the enemy, how is that Christian?"

Methinks Ken Burns has not really looked at the Christian church in the past 1000 years and how it and virtually every other religion has been manipulated to support whatever belief system that an individual possesses.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 pm

And speaking of religion:

Philadelphia archbishop: Divorced Catholics must avoid sex

even with remarriage to someone else

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia ... 33896.html
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Ken Burns makes great documentaries

but the problem with the internet is it gives people like him a voice that 20 years ago would have only been heard by a handful of people.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 am

Owlman wrote:SHOOTING IN BATON ROUGE

I drive past this place every day doing the school year after I drop my son off. I know the dead guy peripherally. He and I go to the same barber where like every one else, we've argued about sports. He's known as the CD guy because every day he's out there at this convenient store selling CD's.

2 videos
[youtube]jBZPCDqymyo[/youtube]

and

[youtube]oIqE7Jv_0Vk[/youtube]
Only because the DOJ has this, now there is a possibility of there being any penalty.

...and the body cameras "fell off" according to the officers.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 am

You can actually see the video cam danging between the officer on the ground's legs in the longer version.

That second video was shot by the store owner's phone who turned it over to the local news as opposed to the police. He was upset that the police took his store video tapes "without a warrant." Don't think they need one, truthfully.

He had known the CD man for a number of years
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:19 am

The 15 year old son just loses it in this video. It's hard to watch.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/slain-baton-ro ... d=40370065
My Dad is my hero still.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 am

Owlman wrote:There will be more video as the police were reportedly wearing body cams and the store also had video
I know that there is much more to know about this incident than the original camphone video circulating the web and I know that cops never know when someone is going to pull out a gun and shoot them, but this looks like nothing more than an execution by, at best, poorly trained cops. At worst, it's straight up murder with intent.

If this is what we've come accept as normal, trigger-happy cops roaming the streets, everyone in America should take eCat's lead and arm themselves to the teeth.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 am

I blame Jesse Williams.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:25 am

I blame Rosie O'Donnell
My Dad is my hero still.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:49 am

I am sick and fucking tired of watching law enforcement officers lie in court and violate people's rights. They think they are the law and not those charged with helping enforce it. There is fucking difference. Hell, many will destroy and/or manipulate evidence in a heart beat. I once thought it was just a few "bad apples," but working in the system has shown me just how pervasive it is.

Don't even get me started on prosecutorial misconduct....
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:19 am

If the cop felt threatened by the guy possibly drawing his weapon, why didn't he just shoot him in the hand or arm? He was at point blank range.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 am

Heh. Just like Gary Cooper.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:48 am

Don't taze me bro!