Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Homicides have dropped significantly since the Brady bill was passed? Impossible. Gun legislation doesn't work

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
crashcourse wrote:kill two birds with one stone

if your not allowed to vote in a federal election your not allowed to carry a gun
assimilate both
I am good with that.
I'm not. Although I own one. I guess illegally

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:05 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Homicides have dropped significantly since the Brady bill was passed? Impossible. Gun legislation doesn't work
The Brady Bill was a perfect example of the kind of absurdity produced by gun control enthusiasts. It banned "military style assault rifles." And what did it define as a "military style assault rifle?" How a rifle looked - whether or not it had a pistol grip, flash suppressor and a bayonet notch. As if those things had anything to do with lethality, which is semiautomatic fire capability, which most non-military style rifles also have, but we're not banned. But the Brady Bill made the gun control crowd "feel better" because they were "doing something" even though that "something" was completely irrelevant to the problem with they were supposedly trying to solve.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am

"But the Brady Bill made the gun control crowd "feel better" because they were "doing something" even though that "something" was completely irrelevant to the problem"

As a religious man, you should be well familiar with precisely that sort of feeling, with precisely the same level of concomitant irrelevancy of "effort"...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:The Brady Bill was a perfect example of the kind of absurdity produced by gun control enthusiasts. It banned "military style assault rifles." And what did it define as a "military style assault rifle?" How a rifle looked - whether or not it had a pistol grip, flash suppressor and a bayonet notch. As if those things had anything to do with lethality, which is semiautomatic fire capability, which most non-military style rifles also have, but we're not banned. But the Brady Bill made the gun control crowd "feel better" because they were "doing something" even though that "something" was completely irrelevant to the problem with they were supposedly trying to solve.
In May of 1994, former presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan wrote to the U.S. House of Representatives in support of banning "semi-automatic assault guns." They cited a 1993 CNN/USA Today Gallup Poll that found that 77 percent of Americans supported a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of such weapons

The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, commonly called the federal Assault Weapons Ban, was enacted in September 1994. The ban, including a ban on high-capacity magazines, expired in September 2004 per a 10-year sunset provision

Ah yes. Ronnie Ray-gun, noted gun control enthusiast.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:38 pm

The logic of the Brady Bill would appeal to Jimmy Carter and a president with Alzheimer's.

Outlawing that bayonet notch must have saved countless lives.

If the pistol grip were still illegal, none of these mass shootings would have happened.

If we don't bring back the flash suppressor, how can the cops find an active shooter in the dark?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:38 pm

[quote]
Ah yes. Ronnie Ray-gun, noted gun control enthusiast.[/

[youtube]5K2OZUgGqkw[/youtube]
Let 'er Blow!

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:46 am

AND FURTHERMORE . . .
AlabamAlum wrote:I didn't see where it said they knew they flew on 9/11.
FWIW, David Frum, Bush's speechwriter, just admitted on Lawrence O'Donnell's MSNBC Show (Wednesday, 12/16/15) that the Bush White House allowed members of prominent Saudi families to fly home when the planes were supposed to be grounded because they feared reprisals and anti-Saudi backlash. It's not up on the website yet but you can check it out in a few hours http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:18 am

JD, I see that the first cop to be tried in the Freddy Gray case just got a hung jury. I haven't seen much outrage from you or anywhere else in the media. Is that because the accused cop was black and the jury was majority black?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:32 am

Uh-Oh

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:The logic of the Brady Bill would appeal to Jimmy Carter and a president with Alzheimer's.

Outlawing that bayonet notch must have saved countless lives.

If the pistol grip were still illegal, none of these mass shootings would have happened.

If we don't bring back the flash suppressor, how can the cops find an active shooter in the dark?
::sigh:: Goof, the Brady Bill didn't have anything to do with any of that. It dealt with background checks and waiting periods for the purchase of handguns only. I let it go the first time you confused Brady with the AWB...maybe you shouldn't joke about Reagan's alzheimers - just sayin'.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:32 pm

Alzheimers runs in both my mother's and father's sides of my family. That's probably how I'll go.

Alzheimers runs in both my mother's and father's sides of my family. That's probably how I'll go.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:56 pm

I wish you would just.........................................................................forgot what I was going to say

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:17 pm

What?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:51 pm

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:51 pm

GOP Debate: All We Have to Fear is Fear http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html

I'm writing this column from underneath my bed because, based on what was said at Tuesday night's GOP presidential primary debate, America is a fiery hellscape and if so much as one fingertip slips out from under the bed it will immediately be shot off by terrorists.

It's dark under here and a bit cramped, but I'm hoping to communicate to you, my fellow Americans, and assure you that while everything is unprecedentedly scary right now, life will return to normal as soon as one of the candidates from that debate stage is elected president of whatever remains of the once-great but now very, very bad and scary and loser-filled United States of America

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:22 pm

When your country is in a dangerous world, with nuclear weapons accruing to the "Death to America" crowd, the "contained" ISIS is shooting down superpowers' airliners, Russia is swallowing up your allies, and your feckless weakling Commander-in-Chief (footnote to Chris Christie) is obsessed with the weather and disarming his citizens, and your next CINC will be at least as feckless and weak and incompetent as her predecessor, but with vastly more corruption, then yes, hiding under your bed is a reasonable option.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:03 pm

I like peanut butter on my nipples

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:When your country is in a dangerous world, with nuclear weapons accruing to the "Death to America" crowd, the "contained" ISIS is shooting down superpowers' airliners, Russia is swallowing up your allies, and your feckless weakling Commander-in-Chief (footnote to Chris Christie) is obsessed with the weather and disarming his citizens, and your next CINC will be at least as feckless and weak and incompetent as her predecessor, but with vastly more corruption, then yes, hiding under your bed is a reasonable option.
You've been hiding under a bed your whole life. It's what people like you do. And you consider it fortunate that you have so much company under there. Except you don't call it a bed, you call it "church"...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:36 pm

That's all you've got? No wonder 10ac and crash are surpassing you in wit and style.

You'll soon be smearing peanut butter on Rat's nipples.