Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by aTm » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:I wish they put you in the Inquisition's iron maiden (not the rock band).
Iron maidens are a fictional device.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:18 pm

"That explains why you delude yourself into thinking this current ongoing religious war is not Islamic."

I have no delusions on that count, I just see the bigger problem being the religious impulse in general, while the specific iteration that happens to be twisting it up currently is the islamic flavor. They've all had their day, though...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm

In the coming years, we will need more Lincolns, Roosevelts and Churchills, who clearly saw the evil in front of them, were not afraid to call them what they were, and acted decisively to destroy them.

We will need less Chamberlains who make treaties with them, giving them the means to destroy us, while saying, "It depends on what the word 'is' is."

I'm done.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:44 pm

They may "say it" but an official stance would give it wings. I'm not for providing such things to enemies without something in return. Why would we say it? There is no profit in it, or none that I can see.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:44 pm

aTm wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:I wish they put you in the Inquisition's iron maiden (not the rock band).
Iron maidens are a fictional device.
No they're not. They were even in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:51 pm

You mention Churchill. Relevant is that in his speeches to the House of Commons, he referenced 'Hitler' and 'Nazism/Nazis/Nazi/Reich over 900 times. He mentioned the German people as a group once.

There was no profit in getting Hanz to pick up a rifle if he hadn't already been conscripted to do so.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:23 pm

U.S. Congressman: Let's Shut Down Internet and Social Media to Thwart ISIS - CNN.com

couldn't possibly be a teaparty republican from TX...naaah
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Since you didn't include a link I had to look for this. It seems he actually says that social media companies based in the US should be doing more to shut down terrorist accounts on their services as far as I can tell.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/20 ... content%26

Lawyers: Black SC Restaurant Worker Beaten, Enslaved and Paid Little to No Money by Employer

Attorneys for a mentally disabled South Carolina man have filed a lawsuit against his employers, claiming that the owner and a manager beat him, called him racial slurs and forced him to work long hours for little to no pay.

According to the Post and Courier, two attorneys—Mullins McLeod and David Aylor—represent Christopher Smith and claim that J&J Cafeteria owner Ernest J. Edwards and his brother, manager Bobby Paul Edwards, repeatedly abused Smith inside the Conway, S.C., restaurant. The brothers have been charged with 14 counts, including false imprisonment, discrimination and unfair labor practices, the newspaper reports.

Bobby Edwards, 50, is already in custody since his arrest Nov. 19, 2014, in a separate case on charges of second-degree assault and battery.

The Post and Courier reports that Smith was rescued from the job in October 2014 after the South Carolina Department of Social Services, in response to a tip from someone concerned about Smith's safety, responded with Conway police, and state social workers found several scars on Smith's back.

Smith had worked at the restaurant for 23 years and lived in a cockroach-infested apartment owned by the brothers that his attorneys called "subhuman." Smith's attorneys told the newspaper that the physical abuse began in 2010 after Bobby Edwards began managing the restaurant and became worse after Smith complained to Ernest Edwards.

According to his lawyers, Smith suffered verbal abuse and minimal wages throughout his 23-year tenure, reportedly being paid $2,842 a year even though he worked 18 hours a day, six days a week.

He was routinely taken into a walk-in freezer where he was beaten with a "frying pan, burned with grease-covered tongs and beaten with butcher knives, belt buckles and fists while being called the n-word repeatedly," the attorneys told the Post and Courier. The attorneys also noted that they believe the assaults took place because Smith is black.

"This lawsuit cannot change the past," Aylor told the Post and Courier, "but hopefully, it will bring about positive change in the future."

According to the lawsuit, Smith never told anyone about the abuse because he was afraid that he would be beaten worse or killed.

A telephone message left by the Post and Courier on Monday for the restaurant's owner was not immediately returned.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 pm

JD must be upset that Paris is getting so much attention.
Let 'er Blow!

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:43 am

There are more important things to worry about.

THE MCRIB IS BACK AT MCDONALDS!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH!!
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:42 am

Here's your so-called "moderate" muslims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... anbul.html

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:24 am

sardis wrote:Here's your so-called "moderate" muslims

Good find. And apparently a moment of silence wasn't respected Sunday at Lambeau either and it affected Aaron Rodgers.

Kill all the bastards.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:37 pm

BigRedMan wrote:There are more important things to worry about.

THE MCRIB IS BACK AT MCDONALDS!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH!!
Damn - finally something worth commenting on!!!!!

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:35 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:That the Saudis flew while there was a flight ban. They flew, but not until 9/13.

The Snopes on the ordeal: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/flights.asp

Further, I think it likely that if the Saudis had knowldge of the attack that they would have left before 9/11 instead of scurrying to leave on 9/13.
The Snopes is from 2005. In the 2012 article, it says they reviewed the FBI investigation and discovered that the FBI knew on Sept. 15 that some of the Saudi's did indeed fly on Sept. 11, but the info was buried in the files and no referenced in the report, nor did the FBI interview any of the bin Ladens . . . or the suspected pilots . . . or review the logs at the suspected airports . . .

But in any event, we won't have to worry about the Bush-Saudi connection again unless the GOP elects their eventual, inevitable nominee, Jeb!
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:42 pm

10ac wrote:JD must be upset that Paris is getting so much attention.
Au contraire - I'm enjoying the irony of watching Republicans knob-gobble the French after "Freedom Fries":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-a- ... 69858.html

"Freedom Fries" and the Republican Right's Faux Solidarity with France

Republican myth-makers like Judith Miller, Newt Gingrich, Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, Ben Shapiro, and other ideologues, along with the GOP presidential candidates from Donald Trump to Marco Rubio, couldn't wait for all the victims in Paris to be identified before they unleashed a stream of hateful statements about the Paris attacks that serve their dual objectives of trashing President Obama and calling for their own form of jihad against their perceived enemies around the globe.

They're incapable of seeing that by politically exploiting this most recent atrocity, as they do with every other jihadist attack, to push their authoritarian and militaristic agenda they are exposing themselves as being every bit as nihilistic as the terrorists themselves.

Not long ago, in the run up to George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq, these same right-wing Republicans were screaming epithets at France because the country that today the corporate media remind us is "our oldest ally" tried to stop the war before it began.

The French case was that there was not a WMD threat, and that invading Iraq would lead to fragmentation of the country and trigger more terrorism.

Like a good friend who tried to take away the car keys from a power drunk U.S. administration before it got behind the wheel, France had the wisdom and forethought to try to stop the United States from its biggest foreign policy catastrophe since the Vietnam War.

And how did the Republican Right in the U.S. respond?

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives stopped selling French Fries in its cafeteria (which are from Belgium anyway) and changed their name to "Freedom Fries."

They vilified France because the French government had the good sense to try to block Bush and Cheney's war of aggression in Iraq through its United Nations veto power.

The United States had not seen such culinary propaganda since the World War One era, when the U.S. government's Committee on Public Information (the Creel Committee) sought to enflame anti-German sentiment by changing bratwurst to "hotdogs," hamburgers to "Salisbury steak," and sauerkraut to "victory cabbage."

The Republicans displayed the same level of hostility toward the French for opposing their war of choice in Iraq as an earlier generation of American propagandists showed toward Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Right-wing talk radio hosts organized events where their fans poured French wine down gutters as a symbolic protest against the French who dared to question the infinite wisdom of their Commander-in-Chief.

During George W. Bush's vicious 2004 re-election campaign against John Kerry Bush's Secretary of Commerce, Donald Evans, repeatedly said that Kerry "looks French."

The Republican House Majority Leader, Tom DeLay of Texas, began many of his Bush campaign speeches: "As John Kerry would say, bonjour."

At the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City "Democratic" Senator Zell Miller of Georgia received thunderous applause when he trashed John Kerry in his keynote address saying, "Kerry would let Paris decide when America needs defending!"

The same right-wingers that today are using the Paris attacks to further their shrill Manichean worldview denigrated "our oldest ally" for showing the good sense of not going along with Bush's war in Iraq.

This phenomenon demonstrates the fact that since the Bush years the Republicans have dropped all pretense of wanting to build a "kinder and gentler" America or promising a new version of "compassionate conservatism."

They've chosen instead to follow the ignorant and mean-spirited script of their ideological soul mates on right-wing talk radio.

In the context of Bush's ongoing "War on Terror" their situational demagoguery has drifted into the realm of heartless neo-fascism.

They demagogue the Paris attacks while dismissing the idea that the United States could learn a thing or two from France's examples of universal health care and publicly financed elections.

They denounce all who disagree with their war-mongering agenda with the kind of cocky self-assurance that Joe McCarthy showed in the early 1950s.

Last summer when I visited the French city of Strasbourg, a region where the horrifying history of war rings loudly, I stood for a long time inside Our Lady of Strasbourg Cathedral admiring the large memorial inside the cathedral to the fallen American soldiers who died there helping to liberate the city during World War Two.

I thought about the intertwined recent histories of our two countries and how much the French really loved the Americans, which made me all the more ashamed of the Republicans under George W. Bush who ridiculed that country and its people. Their raw partisan statements so soon after the horror in Paris renews this shame and should remind us just how extreme and heartless the party has become in recent years.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:That the Saudis flew while there was a flight ban. They flew, but not until 9/13.

Further, I think it likely that if the Saudis had knowldge of the attack that they would have left before 9/11 instead of scurrying to leave on 9/13.
The Snopes is from 2005. In the 2012 article, it says they reviewed the FBI investigation and discovered that the FBI knew on Sept. 15 that some of the Saudi's did indeed fly on Sept. 11, but the info was buried in the files and no referenced in the report, nor did the FBI interview any of the bin Ladens . . . or the suspected pilots . . . or review the logs at the suspected airports . . .

But in any event, we won't have to worry about the Bush-Saudi connection again unless the GOP elects their eventual, inevitable nominee, Jeb!

I didn't see where it said they knew they flew on 9/11.
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:22 am

bluetick wrote:
sardis wrote:Here's your so-called "moderate" muslims

Good find. And apparently a moment of silence wasn't respected Sunday at Lambeau either and it affected Aaron Rodgers.

Kill all the bastards.
Yeah, those two situations are comparable...

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:27 am

AlabamAlum wrote:
Johnette's Daddy wrote:

I didn't see where it said they knew they flew on 9/11.
You may have read the wrong one - I posted a Denver Post one, then followed it with one from NBC. In the NBC article:

The FBI insisted that “No flights arrived” in Lexington on the day in question. The assertion that there had been an incoming flight from Tampa, the FBI claimed, had been “perpetuated” by “hired security personnel” – a clear reference to the Saudis’ escorts, former policeman Grossi and former FBI agent Perez. “One of the members of the private protection detail,” the bureau’s response claimed, “had confidentially told FBI agents in Kentucky the truth about how they arrived in Lexington.”

The issue in question is not that they flew to Saudi Arabia once the ban was lifted, but that while the ban was on there was a flight that scooped up important Saudis from Tampa and flew them to Lexington, where they all boarded a plane to Saudi Arabia.

An FBI departmental memo dated 2003, meanwhile, shows why the bureau was reluctant to believe there had been a flight from Tampa. Having failed to check aviation records that would have shown when exactly the men had flown, it believed “such a flight on 9/13/2001 would have been in violation of the Federal Aviation Administration’s flight ban.”

The initial FBI report said that the Saudis drove from Tampa to Lexington, and a Vanity Fair article (referenced by Snopes) claimed that the flight to Lexington took place hours after the ban was lifted (which also contradicted the FBI report). The NBC investigation, however, revealed:

As early as four days after the flight, however, the bureau had had good reason to realize that the flight had occurred. Other FBI documents, obtained by the public interest group Judicial Watch, make clear that one of the bureau’s own agents in Lexington had the information as early as Sept. 17. That fact, it seems, was filed and forgotten.

Here's a story I meant to link several months ago:

Saudi Arabia's 9/11 Funding Case Now Before the US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals

http://www.newswire.com/press-release/s ... th-circuit

Evidence of Obstruction of Justice by the FBI, the Justice Department and the Offices of US Senator Lindsey Graham alleging a cover-up of the Saudi Kingdom's role in the funding of the al Qaeda 9/11 Attacks on the United States and ISIL terrorism, was presented to the Federal Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals by Appellate Counsel Michael Sribnick, MD, JD.
Last edited by Johnette's Daddy on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:55 am

I don't see the NBC article. Repost, please.
— Abraham Lincoln