Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by hedge » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Never fear, I'm sure Prof will say "that was a Protestant thing, not an orthodox thing (whatever that means). But really, it's all the same bullshit. And he knows it...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 pm

You beat me to it. Salem was a Puritan Protestant thing. Quit yer mewling.

It's a good thing liberals can't do this to people who disagree with them. At least yet. Much as they'd like to.

[youtube]-lgHcy5cLNU[/youtube]
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 am

Dude, you are so fucked up. Liberalism is essentially the movement away from all that heavy-handed authoritarianism with its concomitant lust for punishment. All the annoying little bullshit strictures that liberals want to impose are just that - annoying little bullshit - when compared to the truly psychopathic and monstrous stuff that religious institutions and their so-called atheistic conservative political counterparts (nazism, stalinism, etc) have terrorized humanity with thru the centuries. The gross stupidity of someone (i.e., you) who not only equates the all of these but actually sees "liberalism" as the greater evil is simply mind-boggling. But I forgot, you view nazism and stalinism (etc) as liberal movements. Again, mind-boggling...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:26 am

bluetick wrote: Coal is just as nasty today as it was in Victorian times...worse, I suppose...... Just goes to show what a well-heeled lobby and chutzpah marketing (enjoy Clean Coal, America!) can protect.

Power plants being built today emit 90 percent less pollutants (SO2, NOx, particulates and mercury) than
the plants they replace from the 1970s, according the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). Regulated emissions from coal-based electricity generation
have decreased overall by over 40 percent since the 1970s, while coal use has tripled, according to government statistics.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:36 am

Communism and Stalinism WERE liberal movements. (Nazism was not.)

They hated capitalism like liberalism. They had an egalitarian utopian vision like liberalism. They considered themselves the irresistible wave of progress and the final stage of human perfection enforced by government, just like liberals. They wanted to remove annoying little strictures like owning private property, freedom of religion, and anything that competed with total allegiance to the State. etc. like liberalism.

Communism was just liberalism with concentration camps.

Communism was huge until 20 years ago, and is still thriving mostly in faculty lounges. But it is still around in workers paradises like North Korea. Meanwhile the Middle Ages have been over for 800 years. Let it go.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am

Looks like they need to take down a flag somewhere in Maryland.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/baltim ... te-n388841

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 am

"Communism was just liberalism with concentration camps."

Liberalism with concentration camps is not liberalism. Even a fool would understand that...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 am

Being a shining example of fairness and balance that I am, here is one thing about liberals that I respect and side with: on their best days, they care about middle-class people, the poor, the sick, and the hungry. When they talk and act like that, I am a liberal. My Christianity makes me so.

That is also my greatest criticism of the GOP. They have always been the party of the rich for the rich. The original country club GOP exists solely to make the rich even richer. If they had their way, we'd go back to 12 year olds working 18 hours a day in coal mines at %2.00 an hour who die in the gutter with black lung disease at 16. Tax cuts that give workers an extra $10 a week but gives the boss an extra $500 a week and his boss an extra $10,000 a week does not get me all excited. They ran the country for 8 years and almost drove it off an economic cliff.

So no, I'm no big fan of modern economic conservatism either.
Last edited by Professor Tiger on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:41 am

hedge wrote:"Communism was just liberalism with concentration camps."

Liberalism with concentration camps is not liberalism. Even a fool would understand that...
Okay, then Christianity with Iron Maidens and Salem witch trials isn't Christianity. Even a mewler would understand that.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:51 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
US and Iran Negotiate Through Latest Impasse - Final Deal in Sight
The most recent deadlock surfaced in recent days when Iran demanded all the gold in the Federal gold depository at Ft.
Heh. Like there's actually gold in Ft. Knox.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Looks like they need to take down a flag somewhere in Maryland.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/baltim ... te-n388841
Well, Maryland did provide several units to the Confederate Army - including the Army of Northern Virginia.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:58 am

Power plants being built today emit 90 percent less pollutants (SO2, NOx, particulates and mercury) than
the plants they replace from the 1970s, according the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). Regulated emissions from coal-based electricity generation have decreased overall by over 40 percent since the 1970s, while coal use has tripled, according to government statistics.
Pretty good little industry blurb there...40% less emissions since the smoggy 70s...tens of thousands FEWER KILLED yearly than before. Gotta like that, right?
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

Well, it did refute your ridiculous statement.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 am

Professor Tiger wrote:Being a shining example of fairness and balance that I am, here is one thing about liberals that I respect and side with: on their best days, they care about middle-class people, the poor, the sick, and the hungry. When they talk and act like that, I am a liberal. My Christianity makes me so.
Along with your humanity, decency, and general sense of fair play. .. you big lug

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 am

hedge wrote:"Communism was just liberalism with concentration camps."

Prof is arguing the recent political definition of liberalism rather than the more classic definition of liberalism which is what I think you are arguing. Basically, those that buck against the system with live and let live are considered liberal. Now, that a more secular system is being mandated on our society folks of religious belief will be considered liberals much like the Christians of the Roman Empire and the Protestants during the middle ages.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 am

sardis wrote:Well, it did refute your ridiculous statement.
How so? His U.S. stats have nothing to do with my assertion that modern-day Shanghai is in worse shape coal-smoke-wise than Victorian London.

The Cost of China's Dependence on Coal - 670,000 Deaths a Year - Fortune Magazine
http://fortune.com/2014/11/05/the-cost- ... hs-a-year/

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:37 am

So your point is...because of China's disregard for the environment and its people, we should shut down the US coal industry, increase everybody's utility bill, and idle thousands of US workers.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:48 am

I'm glad to know that my accusation of Prof's "mewling" pissed him off. I can tell b/c he's now stolen it and using it back at me...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:10 pm

on their best days, they care about middle-class people, the poor, the sick, and the hungry..

Delusional. Forcing energy prices higher, shutting down industries for your political agenda, keeping unemployment for coloreds higher than whites, open borders for any terrorist/felon who wants to come in?? What planet/drug you on?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:18 pm

I know that I'm on firm footing when I piss off liberals AND corporatist conservatives.