Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 am

Married with Children did it first BTW

[youtube]ADiq-EYObkM[/youtube]
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:50 am

LMAO this show was awesome.

[youtube]qJ_PKMbdNTU[/youtube]
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I know I've talked about this before but apparently there are others that share my enthusiasm about the episode

[youtube]_vfzpJtXrD8[/youtube]

and this

[youtube]SnJN_aixrVY[/youtube]
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:49 pm

It is the top 5 best shows on television. Archer is my idol.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I sorta feel sorry for you.

Not really. Just being nice.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 am

GoT

[spoiler=]I knew that kid was gonna go full Kennard on Snow.

Also, if Jon is dead, who the hell is the focus point on the episodes shot at The Wall. It can't be Sam and Gilly. I hope the Red Witch doesn't reanimate him. That would be a horrible storyline.[/spoiler]
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:58 am

Bklyn wrote:GoT

[spoiler=]I knew that kid was gonna go full Kennard on Snow.

Also, if Jon is dead, who the hell is the focus point on the episodes shot at The Wall. It can't be Sam and Gilly. I hope the Red Witch doesn't reanimate him. That would be a horrible storyline.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=]From what I understand, no one knows what happens to Jon. That was the last of the book material for him and that is basically where they left off. Rumor has it that he is like Bran where he can enter animals / people and in the book his wolf was near him and he said the name of the wolf. With that being said, the red witch will have something to do about it for sure. I believe it will be Jon Snow that takes winterfell back and tells the watch to kindly go fuck themselves and that anyone including the wildings that want to go with him can. the witch did say she saw the bolton's flags burning. Apparently it wasn't that time yet.[/spoiler]

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:51 pm

I saw Whiplash last night. It was OK, but movies like that are pretty much all the same. The tortured student who is harried by the sadistic instructor but of course makes good in the end, like Black Swan or The Paper Chase (one of the originals of the genre) or even something like that TV movie about Bear Bryant's early days in coaching. I guess I did enjoy the extra focus on what an asshole the teacher was, but overall I didn't find it particularly compelling...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I heard how great it was and then when I heard the subject matter I wasn't too excited about seeing it.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:15 am

They threw in the obligatory verbiage about how he was only being an asshole b/c he wanted his students to push themselves to achieve ultimate greatness, but it didn't come across like that. It came across (to me, anyway) as much more that he was just a sadistic jerk who enjoyed tormenting his charges for the sheer pleasure of it. That they may have gotten better at their craft b/c of it seemed beside the point...

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:27 am

You mean discipline, hard work, someone pushing you to be better, not giving you a participant ribbon, real practice, and not taking your feelings into consideration means that the person actually can become good / great at something?????????

Wow, when did this shit start??? Why haven't we used this in the past!!??!!

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:35 am

As I said, that aspect of it seemed largely beside the point in this film as it did not in many of the others of the genre. For instance, in the TV movie about Bear Bryant's early coaching days, it came across very clearly that he wasn't just pushing them b/c he enjoyed fucking with teenagers but b/c he truly wanted them to get tougher and better. Even in a film like The Paper Chase, the professor seemed indifferent at best as to how he came across to his students. He certainly didn't seem to be trying to be an asshole for his own personal enjoyment at the discomfiture it might cause the students. Anyway, as I said earlier, that was one of the aspects I kinda enjoyed about Whiplash, i.e., watching the teacher be an asshole, but after a few episodes of this, it got a little old. Some of his insults were pretty amusing, though...

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:28 am

hedge wrote:They threw in the obligatory verbiage about how he was only being an asshole b/c he wanted his students to push themselves to achieve ultimate greatness, but it didn't come across like that. It came across (to me, anyway) as much more that he was just a sadistic jerk who enjoyed tormenting his charges for the sheer pleasure of it. That they may have gotten better at their craft b/c of it seemed beside the point...
That's the Joe Jackson principle. You just have to figure out how much slapping produces a prodigee/master of art vs a pedophile. Gotta get the balance right.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Yeah, I forgot about the whole subgenre of "tough ass teacher/principal in a rough high school who ends up beloved (or at least grudgingly respected) by the students, some of whom go on to make good (at least relative to where they were heading without the influence of tough ass teacher/principal)"...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Saw the Entourage movie yesterday with my oldest. I warned her there'd be boobs.

BigRedMan
Senior

Post by BigRedMan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:07 am

Wow, you are a terrible father, no make that terrible human being, to make her sit through anything to do with Entourage.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:06 am

I must say I am surprised by the movie choice

however I will admit to really liking Entourage when it first came out.

Not sure how I feel about the opening of True Detective - totally different vibe than the first one, and I think the chain smoking, hard drinking anti-hero thing is played out. Ferrell better step it up.

Smart of HBO to give me a free weekend to watch. If True Detective would have been better I would have pulled the trigger to re-subscribe.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:28 am

Saw Entourage with the missus last night...it was what you would expect it to be. There are worse ways to kill a couple of hours.

HBO free weekends suck. It hit me yesterday that they showed the same 12 movies that they showed last free preview weekend.
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 am

I guess if I had a son it would have been ok right?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 am

It certainly wouldn't be OK for him...