BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Prof Tiger & Sardis "All Things Considered" Theology Hut

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 am

Cletus wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:So Christians (apparently not including JD) who object to their kids summoning demons - they are weird.

Meanwhile, Bruce Jenner is a hero who should be celebrated as a national role model for his bravery.

Ain't America great?
The difference is that demons aren't real and the stuff those kids are doing is completely harmless. People who think otherwise are weird and stupid. However, sexual identity issues are real and have a serious impact on lives. Having a person like Bruce Jenner deal with this in a very public way may help those who don't have a public platform and are struggling with it and struggling to get accepted by those in their lives. This is a good thing.

Ugggg. How about we spend more time on PTSD, homeless issues, and better nutrition and physical fitness in our school system instead of whether a person wants to be a man / woman. That problem is localized to that person and their family. They don' t need a public platform. Do we need a public platform because a mother doesn't want her daughter getting married to a black man? No. Personal issues and personal responsibility is what it should be.

The ONLY reason this is getting ANY attention is that it is Bruce Jenner. And the ONLY reason ESPN is giving him an award is to see him come out in a dress on stage and make a speech. It has nothing to do with support or public forum but to be a ratings ploy and for everyone to talk about it.

I know this may bring the wrath of Cletus upon me but Bruce is in no way shape or form any sort of hero or role model for dealing with identity issues. Been going long before him.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am

I suspect the amount of money being spent on whether a person wants to be a man or a woman is relatively small (infinitesimally small) compared to the other things you mention. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we "should" start spending more money on this issue, I'm just saying compared to just about any other issue I can think of, this one is virtually a non-issue...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 pm

BigRedMan wrote:
Cletus wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:So Christians (apparently not including JD) who object to their kids summoning demons - they are weird.

Meanwhile, Bruce Jenner is a hero who should be celebrated as a national role model for his bravery.

Ain't America great?
The difference is that demons aren't real and the stuff those kids are doing is completely harmless. People who think otherwise are weird and stupid. However, sexual identity issues are real and have a serious impact on lives. Having a person like Bruce Jenner deal with this in a very public way may help those who don't have a public platform and are struggling with it and struggling to get accepted by those in their lives. This is a good thing.

Ugggg. How about we spend more time on PTSD, homeless issues, and better nutrition and physical fitness in our school system instead of whether a person wants to be a man / woman. That problem is localized to that person and their family. They don' t need a public platform. Do we need a public platform because a mother doesn't want her daughter getting married to a black man? No. Personal issues and personal responsibility is what it should be.

The ONLY reason this is getting ANY attention is that it is Bruce Jenner. And the ONLY reason ESPN is giving him an award is to see him come out in a dress on stage and make a speech. It has nothing to do with support or public forum but to be a ratings ploy and for everyone to talk about it.

I know this may bring the wrath of Cletus upon me but Bruce is in no way shape or form any sort of hero or role model for dealing with identity issues. Been going long before him.
My wife is the president of a foundation that helps homeless teens in Chicago. A huge majority of those kids are homeless because they are gay or trans and were kicked out of their house by their parents. Their lives, already hard, were made a lot harder because they came from a place that could not accept their differences. This Bruce Jenner thing isn't going to result in wholesale changes but it is increasing the conversation. Any steps, even tiny ones, toward a greater understanding that these issues are real and that people with these issues should not be marginalized and ostracized is a good thing. By doing what he has done, I think Jenner has made the world a little better for some people who really need it and that should be recognized.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

There are couple people I can think of that were obviously confused and LGBT that I went to school with and they're dead. Suicide.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm bet Prof thinks that if they had just accepted Jesus (the universal anodyne) into their lives, everything would've been fine...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Didn't Jesus play both offense and defense?

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:12 pm

brucie when hes dug up some day will always be identified as a male no matter what external changes he is able to manipulate scientifically he will be a male

my big issue with brucie has to do with all his kids/spouses--I suppose they get to show up at the ESPYs as one big happy family but really do you think its fair to them by marrying three separate women fathering multiple kids probably some grandkids then change your mind kicking dirt in the face of the three women and confusing the hell out of your children by saying I was wrong all along I am a woman deal with it. you wanna be brave by the time you got to the 3rd wife you should have figured out you were a man in sheeps clothing.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:39 pm

hedge wrote:I'm bet Prof thinks that if they had just accepted Jesus (the universal anodyne) into their lives, everything would've been fine...
That's an evangelical thing, which I'm not.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:38 pm

So you don't think that accepting Jesus as their lord and savior would go a long way towards solving whatever "problems" they have?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Not at all. Belief in Jesus is the beginning of the race, but not the finish line. And belief in Jesus in no way shields us from life's problems.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:45 pm

I didn't say it shields you, I said I thought that, for "believers", anyway, that belief in Jesus and adherence to his words goes a long way towards aiding one in dealing with and solving life's many problems. But evidently you don't believe that. Or else you're just a prevaricating jackass. Or maybe both...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 pm

that belief in Jesus and adherence to his words goes a long way towards aiding one in dealing with and solving life's many problems.
Yes, I believe that.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:54 pm

BigRedMan wrote:
Johnette's Daddy wrote:Dude, I'm black. No WAY do we support consorting with demons - that is strictly white people stuff (vampire novels/goth/glorification of Halloween, etc).

This is fair. I mean, in all the horror movies, black people are the first to get killed.
Yep. Usually because they get involved in some white folk's mess.

Prof asked: JD, would you consider black conservatives to be consorting with demons?

Yep. Many are consumed with a demonic self-hatred, which is why so many of the prominent ones marry white people - it's a repudiation of their genes and culture.

Shelby Steele (and his twin, Claude) - white wives
Clarence Thomas - white wife
Mia Love - white husband
Deneen Borelli - white husband
George Schuyler - white wife
Ward Connerly - white wife
Armstrong Williams - gay, prefers white lovers
John McWhorter - white wife
Lisa Fritsch - white husband
Angela McGowan - white husband
J.C. Watts - 1st child was with a white woman (in High School, but their parents wouldn't let them marry)
Tim Scott - gay, prefers white lovers
Condoleezza Rice - lesbian, partner is white
Charles Barkley - white wife

True, there are plenty of black liberals married to whites, but most of the leadership marry within the race.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 pm

OJ Simpson - white wife that he murdered
Kanye West - white wife Kim K
Tiger Woods - white wife followed by white girlfriend Lindsay Vonn
Sidney Poitiers - white wife
Hank Baskett - white wife Kendra Wilkinson
Quincy Jones - white wife Peggy Lipton
Harry Belafonte - two white wives
Michael Jackson - two white wives
Tiki Barber - Asian wife followed by white mistress

None of these black men are conservatives. Are they repudiating their genes and culture too?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson was repudiating his genes when he married any woman, regardless of color...

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about putting an asterisk by Michael Jackson's name, followed by a disclaimer.

That raises a question: if Michael Jackson came out of the closet and declared himself white, would that make him one?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 pm

You forgot to mention that Tigers white wife took a 9 iron to his skull.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:52 pm

"That raises a question: if Michael Jackson came out of the closet and declared himself white, would that make him one?"

It don't matter if he's black or white...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Ebony and Ivory my idiot friend.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:46 am

Professor Tiger wrote:OJ Simpson - white wife that he murdered
Kanye West - white wife Kim K
Tiger Woods - white wife followed by white girlfriend Lindsay Vonn
Sidney Poitiers - white wife
Hank Baskett - white wife Kendra Wilkinson
Quincy Jones - white wife Peggy Lipton
Harry Belafonte - two white wives
Michael Jackson - two white wives
Tiki Barber - Asian wife followed by white mistress

None of these black men are conservatives. Are they repudiating their genes and culture too?
O.J., Tiger and Tiki are Republicans, as is Karl (white wife) Malone.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."