Florida Gators

Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Re: Florida Gators

Post by KeviNole » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:32 pm

He'll pick up a few blue chippers before NSD (such as Jefferson, Cowart, etc.), but this going to be a rough year recruiting for UF overall. I could see them strategizing to have all the higher profile recruits not committing until NSD to give them a buzz ("wow, McElwain closed STRONG! Gators gonna be a force in the future!") but hitting the top 10 will be difficult if not impossible.

Keep in mind that Miami is somewhat in a shambles right now (Duke Johnson's mom said that most of the team would transfer if the NCAA didn't have the one year sit out rule - OUCH), and FSU's class is filling up, so UF will be able to pick up some quality local players (FSU has 3 4-star QBs committed, and it's possible UF will pick one of them off for obvious reasons).

savgator
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by savgator » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:27 pm

A first. I agree with Kevi. Top 15 is all anyone could hope for this late.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Yeah, this year recruiting wise is a wash. Do the best ya can and coach them up. They still had a pretty damn good D this past year.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:46 am

Next year will be the key. Gators will likely struggle to make a bowl game again, and there's not a lot of talented depth, so there should be TONS of room for quality freshmen to make an impact in 2016.

Jimbo was announced as HC in January 2010, but his first class was integral to our MNC last year (Telvin Smith, Terrance Brooks, Cam Erving, Christian Jones, LaMarcus Joyner) then we had the #1 class in 2011 (Karlos Williams, Josue Matias, Tank Carradine, Kelvin Benjamin, James Wilder Jr., Nick O'Leary, Rashad Greene, Bobby Hart, Timmy Jernigan, Nile Lawrence-Stample, Devonta Freeman, Tre Jackson).

All those guys were drafted, are about to be drafted, or were undrafted (Jones) but started in the NFL as a rookie.

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm

The OLine is the shaky piece of the puzzle - only 7 scholarship players on the roster at the moment.
Hopefully Grier comes in as a productive QB - I'm not sold on Harris' brains or durability.

Ole Miss at home replaces Bama away on the sched. East Carolina replaces a tomato can.
The rest is the same except for home/away swaps. 8-4 is doable if they get off to a decent start.

savgator
Sophomore

Post by savgator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Eight or nine wins is doable with our returning lettermen. Only Spurrier accomplished nine wins his first year. I have confidence we will be in the top 4 playoffs by his third year.
L

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:53 pm

What is the Gator Nation saying about Jefferson, Cowart and Holland? They are supposedly all going to either Auburn or Florida. That trio will be a mother lode for somebody.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

savgator
Sophomore

Post by savgator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Who knows. I never try to read what is in an eighteen year old head today because chances are it won't be there tomorrow anyway.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Wise.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

SnoodGator
Sophomore

Post by SnoodGator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Surprised no one posted The Sweat Solution yet: http://espn.go.com/30for30/

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Seminole Fire Water dammit!!!!
I have confidence we will be in the top 4 playoffs by his third year.
You're nuts. You don't have a QB on your roster right now capable of leading you there (Grier has reportedly underwhelmed and Harris is not the answer), and not a single commit or target this year - and as GG stated above the OL is a mess and there's no indication it will improve any time soon.

Third year - LMFAO!

savgator
Sophomore

Post by savgator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:21 pm

We shall see. Think you will be surprised at G. They have the qb just no qb coach.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I'd be happy just to be in the mix in 3 years. Playoffs might be a stretch but you never know. Like I said earlier, their defense is not that bad already.

savgator
Sophomore

Post by savgator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm

With the right coaching Grier will do just fine. I am glad they used Harris this year and let Grier keep his redshirt. If our seven linemen hold up we will be just fine.

savgator
Sophomore

Post by savgator » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 pm

With the right coaching Grier will do just fine. I am glad they used Harris this year and let Grier keep his redshirt. If our seven linemen hold up we will be just fine.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 pm

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:17 pm

I heard that somewhere before.
Let 'er Blow!

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:28 am

Now, there are reports that Deondre Francois, one of FSU's three four-star QB recruits, might be considering UF. He's more college ready today than either Harris or Grier and someone I could see making a charge in Gainesville (and he's the best of the three FSU recruits). FSU is getting overloaded at QB (Maguire who won the Clemson game, Cosentino has size and a huge arm, the 3 QBs this year, and an impressive Malik Henry in 2016) so I couldn't blame him if he switches to UF.

The Gray Ghost
Senior

Post by The Gray Ghost » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:06 am

Anything can happen in the space of 3 years. Where was FSwho, TCU, and the Bucknuts 3 years ago?
Making the Top4 = winning the SEC. As SOS always said, first you gotta win the division, which means beating Carolina, Ugha, Mizzou and Tenny in the same year. That's the prime target for the next 2-3 years.

As for NSD - I follow that buildup even less than Sav does. just tell me we have some big hoss lineman signing up the day after is all I ask.

KeviNole
Senior

Post by KeviNole » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:37 am

Well as of right now, UF only has 8 commits for 2015. 8. All things considered, OL is a strength of this class.

Mike Horton (4*, 6'5", 318) have committed Brandon Sandifer (3*, 6'4", 348), and UF has a very good shot at Martez Ivey (5*, 6'6", 271). There are several other linemen considering the Gators, and you'll probably get a couple of them. UF REALLY has to hope for a NSD "miracle" where at least a third of its blue-chip targets commit to them. I think it will probably happen.